Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:54 PM

101 posts, read 103,966 times

Advertisements

was it a person , tv show or a book etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 03:41 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,598,129 times
It was Google.

Seriously one evening I was bored and feeling kind of depressed about my life. I really wanted to get out of the restaurant industry and into something more... adult.

I googled a few keywords relating to what kind of work I would dream of doing. And Google showed me a job opening in a field that I had never even really realised existed.

And here I sit 2.5 years later with a really cool job and a much nicer life.

Thanks Google!

Old 03-13-2016, 03:49 PM

189 posts, read 177,098 times
I second Google. I discovered my job which I never knew existed by searching with google.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,960,941 times
Fell into my niche. I had very different ideas up till even college graduation. But I picked marketing because other people told me I would be good at it (because I am social). And the niche I am in puts me full circle using my analytical and technical skills.

I am still sure I'd be an excellent talks how host, but that is less probable. Maybe in my second life I can have a YouTube channel.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:24 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
I got hurt when I was 4.

I was in awe of being taken care of.

I decided to make my life about helping others feel the same way - safe, reassured, well-taken care of.

Straight shot from 4 years old to M.D. 22 years later.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:59 PM

6,829 posts, read 3,235,933 times
My dad graduated from the University of Washington in marine biology. After school he worked at a fish hatchery in southwest Washington. He decided he couldn't support a family working at a hatchery so he worked for Boeing for about 40 years. He worked in the Chem-lab and used to bring home rainbow trout that were used to test effluent. We built trout ponds and had a great time caring for the fish, and fishing for them!

In the mid 70's I met my current wife and we lived in Northern Idaho, working odd jobs and enjoying the area, doing a lot of fishing. I also met a guy working at a small hatchery at the east end of lake Pend Oreill. He told me about a community college in southern Idaho which had a class in fish technology. After going to school for a year we moved to Bremerton, Washington where I worked for Dom-Sea farms (private fish culture) for about a year.

In 1980, I was hired by the Oregon department of Fish and Wildlife. I worked for ODFW for about 31 years, managing a number of fish hatcheries, until I retired in 2011. I really loved my job up until the last few years when it seemed to get so political, dealing with lawsuits and younger staff who didn't seem to understand what "work" was.

I am loving retirement, and I still like to fish....

Old 03-13-2016, 05:29 PM

1,896 posts, read 2,544,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
It was Google.

Seriously one evening I was bored and feeling kind of depressed about my life. I really wanted to get out of the restaurant industry and into something more... adult.

I googled a few keywords relating to what kind of work I would dream of doing. And Google showed me a job opening in a field that I had never even really realised existed.

And here I sit 2.5 years later with a really cool job and a much nicer life.

Thanks Google!
So you already had an idea of what you wanted to do and you just googled keywords related to your interest? That does sound cool. Mind sharing what your career field is?

Old 03-13-2016, 06:08 PM

23,643 posts, read 24,193,042 times
Technical Sales - I love working with people and solving business and technical issues with my products. I'm also good at working with people, building rapport with clients. I love speaking in public and am extroverted.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,368,524 times
Nothing, it just sort of happened without much thought to it.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:35 PM

7,217 posts, read 9,374,449 times
I was 9 years old. I bought a crystal radio kit from an add in the back of a comic book. I built the radio and it worked. I was hooked. Later, my uncle bought me a shortwave radio kit from Lafayette Electronics. I built it and it also worked. I remember listening to transmissions from Alaska in March of 1964 during the great earthquake.

I subscribed to Popular Electronics and started building the projects from the magazine. While the other kids were spending Saturdays playing football I rode my bike to Electronic Distributors to spend $1 for a Raytheon CK-722 transistor. I learned how to use that device in multiple circuits. I loved learning about electronics and I still do.

To make a long story short, I ended up with a MSEE and spent 43 years as an Electrical Engineer.

If I had to do it over, I'd do it all again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment