Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:37 PM

406 posts, read 559,507 times

Advertisements

How far south? I live in an extremely low COL area and work as a systems engineer. Salaries for my level in Raleigh, Winston, Charlotte seem to be around 90-100K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Florida is the worst I have ever seen. A whole economy based on servicing golfers and Mickey fans. For 3 years I looked for a real job. Any real job. They just aren't there. And whoever is going to respond by saying their brothers Moms Cousin has a great job in Lauderdale, fine, but I still stand by my opinion. 3 years of scanning every job on indeed, daily, and the state boards, real work is not there in a way that benefits the state as a whole. Some jobs were requiring a Masters for 15.00 an hour. Right . . .
To add a bit of fairness to the thread, Vermont is pretty bad. So, it happens in the North too. Upstate PA is not going to pay like Pittsburgh or Philly. So, I might opine that it a lot of it is rural vs. urban
What industry/city? There are 5 major Cities here: Miama, Orlanda, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee, outside of those good luck finding any career work.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:04 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
What industry/city? There are 5 major Cities here: Miama, Orlanda, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Tallahassee, outside of those good luck finding any career work.
West Palm

Old 04-05-2016, 01:38 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I agree the big disparity is rural-urban, and not necessarily north-south. You have a few rural states that have great labor markets like Iowa (I lived in Des Moines and the local radio station would have ads frequently for places in rural areas starting $15-$20/hr - stop in and apply today, hired tomorrow type deals - you'd never see that in Tennessee), but most jobs are concentrated in urban metros.

My real question was more along the lines of "I live in Indianapolis, but want to relocate to <insert mid major Southern metro>. I make $60k in Indy, but can't pull $40k in the Southern metros that have similar or even higher cost of living, and not much different unemployment rates. Why is that the case?
One thing to keep in mind, Indianapolis has an extraordinarily low COL. Any chance you got lucky and got a higher paying job than is the norm for the area? Maybe you're better off just sticking it out there for a couple more years. It's nicely situated geographically, too, IMO.

I agree with the posters who said the south is great to move to after a few years experience. At least, I know that is true for Atlanta. There are a ton of mid-level and specialized IT jobs here. As to the question of why you aren't finding them...hmm...Haven't looked long enough? Not enough experience to be very marketable? Too picky? Bad timing? Better use of networking?

Old 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Well... They have their guns and are free to shoot unarmed people whenever they pleased and just claim "self defense"... Really for some people, walking around with their loaded gun on their waist and being anti-gay is way more important than things like unemployment, low wages, education, health care etc...
Seriously, do not just look at the housing price... The rent and market is cheap for something... The brightest people (and more ambitious) will move to places like California, Miami, Boston, NYC and DC... the lesser ones will move to Austin and pretend that city to be the best thing that ever happened... Then those who could/would not be hired elsewhere will stay in the deep south for a way lower wage...
You really aren't joking. A status symbol in this part of the world is a bride that's knocked up by age 22, and a 4wd pickup getting around 10-12 mpg. A sudden increase in gas prices will crush the place.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Ok, I do get what you're saying from an emotional standpoint (that's how I feel on vacation in a poor country, or the rare times I get my nails done) BUT that really has nothing to do with Alabama and everything to do with income disparity. Of course wealthier people are more likely to hire people to do work in their homes. I can say with certainty those "lower income folks" are happy to have the work! How do you know they're "underpaid" and "underappreciated"? Do you "hang your head" when you see a landscaping truck in the driveway? Or a paint van? Probably not. People need and want services. Wealthier people have the means to afford those services. Service providers are glad to have the work. Everybody can't be hedge fund managers in NYC.
it's more the expectation before I ever see their faces, of what the racial divide between them is.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
If --- Yes; IF and when, IF, EVER; that poor whites and poor blacks, working poor whites and working poor blacks and the mix of all other ethnic poor people ever stop and realize. "we are all considered and placed in the same package" = "The Poor" !!! relegated to be treated as the service class!!!
IF, ever "we collectively"stop and realize this point and fact and change our mentalities and build unity.
Then we can learn to unite and gain collective voice !!!!! then we not only earn how much we need "collective bargaining" - we learn, that we need to not listen to those who feel some level of elite-ness and the aim of protecting their 'higher salary" by pushing the delusion that "Union's drove up the cost of labor un-realistically". It was very realistic the value Union supported for labor !!! was very realistic to meet the standards of our society and its systems. Now we are masses left unable to meet the minimum basic standards of life, accessibility to care or even to provide our kids a good education or have our schools funded and to be able to work and build some type of base for retirement years. WE NEED TO AWAKEN!!!!

Maybe now we see, when the cost of thing continue to increase, the executive ranks continue to compensate themselves with pay and benefits, they continue to cut the workforce and give themselves a bonus and companies now are making more money than they have ever made. ALL THE WHILE, "The Poor", find the cost of housing increase, the cost of vehicles increasing and the add-on of co-pays for medical, while the same executive give themselves not only fully paid medical, they give themselves "a better medical and dental packages", yearly bonuses and set up a system of perks for themselves, all while they cut the labor force, stall out raises, and then tell the people who work, how important it is to "trim cost".

We've allowed through our bickering and not standing together and being misled, hoodwinked and duped, by the "degree risers" who resent the mere thought of anyone without a degree earning anything close to what they authorize for payment to themselves.
The even sadder part, is - it has been and continues to be the degree riders, the elitism of the executives, and the CEO who now pay themselves at a rate that would nearly put to shame the looting done by slave owners and indentured service owners of generations past.

Not only do this group loot the company by these means, they make the POOR AND DISASTROUS decision, which run companies in the ground, they set it up to be sold off, and the aim is always the same, "when it goes down, they are free to cash out" and claim themselves innocent of any and all malice.

We the people, need to wake up, while these is animosity among the races in the manufactured competition for jobs, the wealthy, the degree riders and executive steal the company blind, give themselves stock options and then make decision only for the sake to increase their stock value, by any and every means.
We the poor, black and white, need to pay attention and wake up to the game that has been played on us for decades and decades, while now companies report revenue to the tune of $Billions & 10's of Billions where they reap profit from the high 100's of millions into the billions, but they can't improve the wages for the working people? !! Now the new move is to move business to Mexico, AGAIN, the poor whites and poor blacks are being not only overlooked but left behind, and they want to import that back into the country and sell it to us.
They take advantage of racial discord, to push more racial discord, while they bleed us dry and leave us with nothing.

It is time poor whites and poor minorities come together !!!!

When poor whites get off the delusion of being of mixed european blood lines, which none were anything but peasants and paupers, then they can come to terms to understand being white skinned does not make them any more or better than people with brown or darker skin - then and only then can poor whites and poor minorities, blacks and other, learn to come together to change this madness, and usher in the type of Democracy that is truly American !!!!

Now, how do you communicate this message unto the hard core race dividing mentality whites, and hard core race dividing minorities.

If we figure that out "We all win as American's" and Democracy flourishes like never before and capitalism then becomes a respectable program which has no aim to usurp democracy.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 04-05-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 03:54 PM

55 posts, read 61,823 times
Default Supply and demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Bigger the city the larger the wages will usually be. But with increase in wages comes a higher cost of living.

I think the best situation is when a person is able to find a high paying job in a bigger city and then transfer after a while to a lower cost of living city WITH THE SAME WAGES

You are going to have to move to where the money is.

This is very true, we did this. But what happens when that job goes away and jobs in our new city (Charlotte)
do not pay those wages.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:52 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
You know what mystifies me? Southern Republicans are allegedly pro-business, but they keep passing state-wide religious freedom (anti-gay) laws that guarantee businesses and educated professionals won't want to move to their states. Can someone explain that to me? Is the evangelical vote that important?

PayPal pulls 400 jobs from North Carolina - Apr. 5, 2016

Old 04-05-2016, 05:01 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
You know what mystifies me? Southern Republicans are allegedly pro-business, but they keep passing state-wide religious freedom (anti-gay) laws that guarantee businesses and educated professionals won't want to move to their states. Can someone explain that to me? Is the evangelical vote that important?

PayPal pulls 400 jobs from North Carolina - Apr. 5, 2016
These bills have proven demonstrably bad for business and NC is seen as one of the more progressive Southern states. Just a bad lick for NC citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment