Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Anyone know what work he can do in the meantime, while getting his dream started/off the ground?
Anyone know how he can get his artwork known out there & actually make a living as an artist?
Tell him to take some of his best small artwork to a Trader Joe's and see if he can be hired as an artist at one of the stores. If he can't get the art gig, try and work for Trader Joe's and see if he can switch to the art team. I know someone that did this and they get paid pretty well. Then your friend can do more art on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My friend has just 2-3 main areas of expertise...pest control, warehousing, & security guard(ing). Unfortunately, he never stayed in college long enough to get a degree, (but probably took the equivalent coursework of an AA degree, which of course won't do squat).

So he's got a few things stacked against him:

- no degree
- he's not in his 20s anymore
- he'll never return to pest control
- his interest is about halfway gone w/ warehousing, but he'll do it if he has to

He's a talented artist. His dream is to get licensing deals & make a good living selling his work, which is not only on paper/canvases, but caps, keychains, drinking cups, & most recently jewelry, which he started making.

Anyone know what work he can do in the meantime, while getting his dream started/off the ground?
Anyone know how he can get his artwork known out there & actually make a living as an artist?
And by that, we are talking about from now until he collects ss at 65.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 AM

291 posts, read 397,859 times
A good question would be - where does he live and what is needed in that local market? Perhaps he can work his resume and pivot to one of the industries that need people in his local area.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
graphic design

Get a portfolio setup online.

Learn to use photoshop.

Lots of money to be made for artistic types with tech skills.
Yes, and he needs a certificate from a community college that might help with job placement. I have met people making a living from this.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:42 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Photoshop with exposure to HTML/CSS (tons of online courses)

Opens doors for jobs like: UI Designer, UX Designer,

Which pay big bucks.

Artistic talent with tech skills is big money these days.

Not limited to just graphic design.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:57 PM

144 posts, read 115,143 times
Quote:
graphic design

Get a portfolio setup online.

Learn to use photoshop.

Lots of money to be made for artistic types with tech skills.
HA! That is funny, lots of money.

"Just learn Photoshop and make lots of money." ...... I am a Photoshop master. Just knowing Photoshop does not get you a job. Any graphic design is farmed out to $0.10/day people overseas.

"Exposure to HTML/CSS" Oh sure, tag on decades of programming skills and sprinkle a little Photoshop on top, that can probably get you a job. There is a huge difference between "graphic design" and "web development".

Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Google UI and UX designer jobs and take a look at the job description.

See what they require yourself.

Learn the skills and thank me later.

Usedgoat....what a miserable guy you must be. Learn how to read an ENTIRE post before you open your mouth.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:03 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
A big thanks to you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Tell him to take some of his best small artwork to a Trader Joe's and see if he can be hired as an artist at one of the stores. If he can't get the art gig, try and work for Trader Joe's and see if he can switch to the art team. I know someone that did this and they get paid pretty well. Then your friend can do more art on the side.
This is info I've never heard before, thank you! I'll pass it along.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 PM

144 posts, read 115,143 times
Quote:
Google UI and UX designer jobs and take a look at the job description.

See what they require yourself.

Learn the skills and thank me later.

Usedgoat....what a miserable guy you must be. Learn how to read an ENTIRE post before you open your mouth.
While I am a miserable guy, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

I have googled the job descriptions. Please tell me what I'm missing here.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Im an artist. I've done it for myself which was the best, most fulfilling time of my life, and I've done it for a non-profit(now) which is soul crushing horror. Its very different now in the era of computers and internet, but there are a lot of positions for production 'artists' which might be a good starting point. Take some bootcamps for Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDraw etc. I would try to get by on a part-time job. What is almost impossible to overcome if you work a 40 hour a week McJob, is that you are too tired and beat up to be your best creative self. I've never known an artist who can concentrate fully and be mentally stimulated after a week of labor and getting yelled at by rednecks and stuff . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment