Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:00 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Contacts will get you in the door, your skills will determine what happens once you're inside.
Bingo and when there are only 3-4 open doors and you have 50+ people all trying to get in the door, having an internal connection is a great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:07 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
no one has brought up that who you know is directly related to what you know as well. If you don't know much, no one will want to know you either
Just take an average college grad, what do they know that any other college grad doesn't know as well? If a company or anyone can point to any random grad and get a similar knowledge bank, there isn't much of an issue to pick at random

Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 AM

493 posts, read 443,012 times
Networking + Hardworking is a perfect combo. Right on.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:06 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
9 times out of 10 the "who you know not what you know" candidate will get hired or promoted over the more qualified candidate who are qualified for the position.

Connections ALWAYS trumps the qualified candidate. Then a year or so down the line they run the operation into the ground and usually the moron hiring manager is eventually kicked to the curb.

The point is this should NEVER Happen to begin with. It ruins operations or companies as a whole in the long term. The last 2 places Ive worked have been this way. One company went down the tubes, the current one is on its way there.

Cronyism/Nepotism wouldn't be such a huge deal if the person that got hired had at least a little qualifications/aptitude for the job.. But the problem lies is that the candidate usually has neither. So now their in a position they have no business being in and only got the job because some friend/family member recommended them and but the time someone above realizes what happens the damage has already been done

Old 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
9 times out of 10 the "who you know not what you know" candidate will get hired or promoted over the more qualified candidate who are qualified for the position.

Connections ALWAYS trumps the qualified candidate. Then a year or so down the line they run the operation into the ground and usually the moron hiring manager is eventually kicked to the curb.

The point is this should NEVER Happen to begin with. It ruins operations or companies as a whole in the long term. The last 2 places Ive worked have been this way. One company went down the tubes, the current one is on its way there.
That's a huge problem here in Tejas, specifically the panhandle region. I just can't seem to break through the barrier. Up north, I was always called back for an interview or offered a job due to what I bring to the table, my merits, talents, and work ethic. None of that truly matters down here. It's real difficult to remain positive when I know I'm going to be screwed over either way.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
That's a huge problem here in Tejas, specifically the panhandle region. I just can't seem to break through the barrier. Up north, I was always called back for an interview or offered a job due to what I bring to the table, my merits, talents, and work ethic. None of that truly matters down here. It's real difficult to remain positive when I know I'm going to be screwed over either way.
Yep Im in Texas too. Texas is notorious for nepotism/Cronyism in the workplace. . Which and of itself I don't have a huge problem with if the candidate demonstrates the necessary qualifications for the job but as we both know, most of these idiots getting hired off that do not have those necessary qualifications.

This all does damage long term and why most companies don't even survive. What good is a company if you have a host of idiots running it and only attained the job because of being recommended by a friend/family member whether they were qualified or not for the job?

Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yep Im in Texas too. Texas is notorious for nepotism/Cronyism in the workplace. . Which and of itself I don't have a huge problem with if the candidate demonstrates the necessary qualifications for the job but as we both know, most of these idiots getting hired off that do not have those necessary qualifications.

This all does damage long term and why most companies don't even survive. What good is a company if you have a host of idiots running it and only attained the job because of being recommended by a friend/family member whether they were qualified or not for the job?
'zactly! I got passed over numerous times for better paying positions within the company. No amount of personal vouchers from the other employees did any good. What I got told is, "we don't currently have any of those positions open." It's all bullcrap. When I see those spots filled in, I introduce myself and ask some questions about who they are, what their merits are, and all the other stuff so there isn't any trouble in the future. What they tell me is, "I'm so-and-so's relative/friend/acquaintance from church!" That's wonderful, but are they qualified? As time rolls on, it turns out they're completely incompetent. The decision making from the top to the middle management has just about everybody, including myself, pissed off. The company I work for is currently in an uncontrollable nosedive. I'll be surprised if it survives through the year. Hopefully I will have gone back north before it folds.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Geez.
The only 2 guys in Texas I know getting screwed over by cronies.

Op, it's both.
And when it comes down to the two guys with the same qualifications, of course you pick the dude you know gets along with everyone else.

That's also what they forget to add. You can't just know them. You have to be liked by them or have a good reputation that precedes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment