Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:12 PM

62 posts, read 52,170 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here so I decided to ask you all for advice. I was recent hired for a new job at a restaurant. When I was first hired, I had to call the managers three times until I was given a training schedule. I should have finished my 4 days of training but on the last day, someone who was filling in for my regular trainer felt my trainer didnt do a good job so management said that I may have to extend training. However, it has been over a week now and I have called three times with a promise that a manager will call me but no one has yet.

Normally, I'd think they were avoiding me except they seem to be very protective of their uniform and no one has asked for that back yet...and I haven't picked up my check yet so they logically can't think that by avoiding me they'll never see me again. I was warned at orientation that management can be slow to respond but I'm not sure what to make of this. Any advice woukd help. I need the job done its at a popular location and the tips are good

Ps. I wanted to add that when I called in the first two times, each manager seemed unaware of there being anything against me. One even insisted I call the one who is in charge of our schedules and insist they take me off training since this manager felt I was ready and needed to show everyone I'm capable and ready to earn money. The one I'm charge of schedules hasn't replied to me though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:23 AM

340 posts, read 1,046,759 times
I would inform him that you have finished your required training shifts and are available to pick up any open shifts on the floor. Showing that you are available and also ready to go May get you a slot in the lineup. At this point you are unproven and probably a question mark.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMunch View Post
I would inform him that you have finished your required training shifts and are available to pick up any open shifts on the floor. Showing that you are available and also ready to go May get you a slot in the lineup. At this point you are unproven and probably a question mark.
I did do that and was told by the scheduling manager that she would call me today. They know I feel confident enough to be on my own without a trainer. I think maybe you are right that I am a question mark. I find it odd that rather than deal with the issue, they chose to avoid me (if that's what they're doing). We live in an at state

Old 04-15-2016, 12:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Why don't you just go there in person(at a non busy time) and ask in person? Don't be rude, just ask politely what is going on as there seems to be a some confusion.

When people are right in front of you as opposed to being on the phone there is less chance of BS, go between the lunch and dinner hours when there is time for them to talk to you.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why don't you just go there in person(at a non busy time) and ask in person? Don't be rude, just ask politely what is going on as there seems to be a some confusion.

When people are right in front of you as opposed to being on the phone there is less chance of BS, go between the lunch and dinner hours when there is time for them to talk to you.
That is a great idea. Do you think that would anger them? They seem to want as little to do with all of us as they can. They're nice but just give off that vibe. To be fair, the other new employees weren't on the schedule either but that doesn't say much. They might be having better luck than I am

Old 04-15-2016, 03:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
The problem may be, how far ahead of time is scheduling done. If it is done 2 weeks ahead as an example, you would not be on the schedule at this time, but would be on the next schedule. This is the big question you need an answer to.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The problem may be, how far ahead of time is scheduling done. If it is done 2 weeks ahead as an example, you would not be on the schedule at this time, but would be on the next schedule. This is the big question you need an answer to.
We get a new schedule every Saturday. And last week I was included in the schedule until the sub trainer undermined things and told the Gm that the trainer did a bad job. Then I was taken off the schedule and was told I was going to retrain. This is so dramatic. If they didn't want me, it's an at will state, so wouldn't they just tell me? I've only been there 5 days. Or is this something employers do in hopes one will go away? I didn't have any problems on the job that I was aware of. In fact one of the managers told me that he knew I would be great because I'm a perfectionist and I'm friendly

Old 04-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Update :
I'm not sure what is going on but I think that they might really be trying to terminate me but just stalling. Stalling because I didn't do anything. If I did I was never made aware. My whole time there I was training. The new schedule is up and the new girls are on but not me. I texted the manager who makes the schedule and I know she read my message ( thanks to iMessage read notifications) but never replied. I tried to call the Gm but was told he'd call back when things have died down after their rush. He won't call back. He never does. I'm over it. At this point I just want my check and term papers so I can get back on unemployment. My friend who manages nightclubs told me he doesn't think that they want to term me but they are genuinely in over their heads and messed up. I don't believe that. What do you think and how do I go about convincing them to fire me bit for a no fault reason so I could get unemployment. Their establishment and the pay isn't worth my sanity. I wanted to ask them to just mail me my check and I'll have someone drop in the uniform but my friend told me to hold back

Old 04-16-2016, 05:10 PM

127 posts, read 146,525 times
Sounds like this is pretty common. I too was supposed to get a call to begin my training but haven't and have needed to call management back. They have yet to return my phone call.

If everything else fails, try contacting the store owner and seeing if he/she can help you.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryDriver123 View Post
Sounds like this is pretty common. I too was supposed to get a call to begin my training but haven't and have needed to call management back. They have yet to return my phone call.

If everything else fails, try contacting the store owner and seeing if he/she can help you.
When did you get hired and how many days has it been since your last call to management? I need Dr thought to call the owner. My level is so low. You don't think that woukd **** the owner off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment