Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

YES!!! I have a group of slaves...um...I mean managers that I have to deal with. I've molded them to be the best they can be. One of them, however, does not perform. She doesn't read emails, doesn't respond to emails, doesn't attend mandatory training, doesn't fulfill the duties that come with this position (which is not her primary job). She calls and asks me stuff that she should know. Anyway, to conclude my rant. yes. It's infuriating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
Received two emails this morning from my supervisor that needed my immediate attention. If the email wasn't up she would have wondered why I ignored her email.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM

774 posts, read 745,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Was this management course taken in 1997? j/k

For a fast paced professional office environment with high expectations, staying on top of email is a must. Much of the work and communication comes through email.

Exactly. If you can do your job effectively only checking email once a day then you aren't a critical piece of the puzzle. Perhaps the course meant checking personal email during company time?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:38 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
I'm in IT and have to check emails all day. I'm also able to monitor via my company-issued smartphone.

However, I have about 50 billion million Rules set up on my Outlook account. The rules are configured so I only receive emails that are pertinent to keeping my swim lane free and flowing.

I'm not interested in:

Birthdays
Free pizza/donuts
Raffles
Dumb azz jokes
The numerous solicitations to join this IT group or to sign up for this and that one day course
Error log messages from servers I don't manage

Old 04-15-2016, 11:45 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Remember to send all of your emails and set the flag to High Importance

That said, I'm one of those people who are technical, but not entrenched in social interactions and direct business dealings. As such, I only have to report to 1 person on a regular basis, and do NOT get tons of email. There's also our company's security and HR departments. I try to respond to super urgent stuff ASAP to within a few hours, and everything else... the etiquette that I go with is to respond within 24 hours, during business days only. Even if I still can't answer their question, I let them know I haven't forgotten about it, and to remind me if I don't get back to them.

There are time, I need to do work in a separate computer lab or 2, so I can be away from my workstation that gets internet connection for extended times. Sometimes, nearly large portions of the day, so I'm not going to walk back more than every 2 hours (I could use the break anyways) just to check this, unless I am expecting something important.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I open mine first thing, and it stays open all day. There are a couple people in my office who don't do this. And I don't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment