Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:03 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post
How to (politely) turn down recommending someone for a job? I received a request from a former colleague who wanted to apply for a position in my company. The fact is: I have worked with him in the past and, in my opinion, he's not hard-working or responsible so obviously I don't feel like recommending him for this any role. What would you do? :-)

Thanks.
"Sorry, I prefer not to get involved in the hiring process, but I'll buy you a beer after your interview!"

or whatever. If the person and I were friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
How to (politely) turn down recommending someone for a job? I received a request from a former colleague who wanted to apply for a position in my company. The fact is: I have worked with him in the past and, in my opinion, he's not hard-working or responsible so obviously I don't feel like recommending him for this any role. What would you do? :-)

Thanks.
Tell the person that you aren't sure if your recommendation would hurt them more than it would help, and that he may be better off applying with outside recommendations if they are required.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I always say that I know several friends/colleagues who have also applied and I since I can't recommend all of them for the job I just let HR and the hiring process run its course.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I don't know... that sounds a little cold to me.
Really?

Quote:

Thanks.
You could always tell him this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
If you really want out of it, say that you have already been asked to recommend someone else and it would be unethical to recommend more than one person.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Lie. Tell your friend you did put in a good word, and then drop it. They will never know if you did or didn't, so that is the easiest path.

I know lying is lying, but sometimes a little white lie can save a lot of headaches. Example: Wife says "Does this dress make me look fat ?"

I would just say " I mentioned your name. Not sure how much weight my doing that carries, but good luck !"

Don

Old 04-15-2016, 08:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That is a difficult situation that I faced a couple of years ago after a temp was released at the end of her assignment. I would never have recommended this person, nor would I ever hire her back again. I was very polite in declining and offered an excuse that made sense, but even so, there was a future attempt at retaliation that could have gotten ugly. Still, knowing that now, I would have done the same.
You give some of the best advice on this sub I agree.

I had a former colleague ask for a glowing recommendation that would have been nonsense so

I told them I would feel comfortable for recommending them for these areas and when they kept pushing I repeated what I said and let them know I had another call to take.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I actually did recommend a guy for a job years ago, from what I knew he was pretty solid. He turned out to be a flake and bombed out, and it reflected on my position there. I will NEVER recommend anyone again, ever.

Don

Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I actually did recommend a guy for a job years ago, from what I knew he was pretty solid. He turned out to be a flake and bombed out, and it reflected on my position there. I will NEVER recommend anyone again, ever.

Don
I've been in that position, too. I once recommended a person I thought would be a good fit and the person didn't even show up for the interview.

OP, I'd say "I don't think I'm the best person to ask for a recommendation because too much time has passed."

Old 04-16-2016, 06:54 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Just say "I cannot recommend you because...."

Give specific examples of the behaviors that cause you to hesitate.

People cannot improve unless they get honest direct feedback. I have had people thank me for it.
I like this approach, but, in today's litigation-happy world, I'd hesitate to go this route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment