Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times

Advertisements

Even if you think you're settled for life, don't burn any bridge. You never know if you might need that bridge again in the future.

About 8 months ago, a sub sent this guy to work in my office. Very good at what he does. In fact, he was so good, I extended an offer to him if he ever wanted a full time position at our company, which paid a heck of a lot more. We're also like a million times bigger than his company. He was excited for the opportunity. So, I spoke with the hiring manager and the hiring manager agreed with me that that guy was good at what he does.

All of a sudden, he got another job offer elsewhere. When we shook hands on the last day before he started his new job elsewhere, I again told him if he ever needed a job just call me.

Earlier this week, I got that phone call. It didn't work out with the other company. He got let go. So, I called the hiring manager and asked him if he remembered (insert name here). The hiring manager exploded into the phone and said he would never consider him. Ever. He also told me that guy burned all his bridges before he left. I had previously heard that the guy didn't know how to properly conduct proper office politics, but I had no idea it was so severe.

After I spoke with the hiring manager, I called the guy up and asked him what the hell did you do to make the hiring manager so mad almost a year later? After a little cat and mouse game, he finally admitted that the day he left, he sent out a group email to several people basically telling them to suck it.

For goodness sake, people, even if you think you will never need the bridges ever again, don't burn all your bridges on your way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,141 times
Wow, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 PM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Even if you're really frustrated, you can't be that unprofessional.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Where I work now, the director used to work with a former co-worker of mine's from a previous job. This former co-worker is miserable at his current job, and wanted to apply at my current job. I was told through the grapevine that this guy burned bridges by making continual mistakes on the job and being an ass about it. So no way are they going to give this guy any chance.

I have learned long ago never to burn any bridges.

Some forum members continue to live in a fantasy land where they think all job applicants start from a fresh clean slate, and that their past job performances and conduct have no bearing on the application. Because, according to them, 'all' employers will 'never' mention anything about a former employee other than dates of employment.

Even if that were true, which it isn't at all, the original topic highlights that there are plenty of other methods that employers can use to find out information about applicants. Especially in certain industries and certain geographies, where it can be a very small world indeed.

In my department we receive applications all the time for job openings. One of the things our hiring manager looks for is to see if any of us know these applicants if they have prior work history in the same industry (and not fresh college graduates). And if I ever come across a resume from someone I used to work with, and that person had bad work ethic, bad attitude, etc., you can bet I will let the hiring manager know.

I've been treated like dirt and thrown under the bus by former supervisors and managers. I've worked in horrible working environments where output at all costs was more important than work/life balance. But I never cried or whined about it and thought of going to HR. I continued to bust my ass and work as hard and the best I could, while looking for a new job on the side. And when I found the job, I gave them a 2 week notice and kept everything professional. I always left my jobs on a positive note and never badmouthed anyone or anything.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:43 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default It depends

I disagree.
Some people retire and never will have another job.
They can burn all they want.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 PM

138 posts, read 155,068 times
Wait. You "extended an offer" before conferring with a "hiring manager"? One that later told you that you couldn't hire him?

Suspect x1000

Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
If my company can fire me for whatever reason they want, I can quit for whatever reason I want. Just don't go up to your boss and tell them to suck it. It doesn't matter whether you put in a notice or leave on the same day. You have to be as polite and professional because you might need their reference.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,601,532 times
One job I had I couldn't help but burn my bridges.

The managers started bullying me and I learned later that they told the new director to try to build a paper trail to try to fire me. Since I was a good worker, it was hard for her to do, so she started pulling things out of thin air, making things up, etc. It made me feel like I was going crazy.

Finally I found another job and resigned. Stupidly, the job forced me to give 30 days notice. (So dumb, if they wanted me out, they should have just let me leave. Also, they must have known that I was unhappy with their bullying and targeting me, but stupidly it didn't occur to them that it would be bad for them to have me stick around for the 30 days.)

No problem, I gave them 30 days notice and stuck around. But not before I told anyone who asked (and a lot of people asked - again, I was a hard worker and VERY well-liked by clients) exactly WHY I was leaving. (I referenced the bullying and targeting). After that, management quickly asked me to leave! (haha)

Do I regret it? Not sure. On the one hand, I was true to myself. And who knows - maybe the company will think twice before bullying someone. Maybe they will realize that a person could react in a way that will harm the company. (I know for a fact the company lost at least a few clients after what I did)
On the other hand, who knows, if I look for a job in the same city, someone might know someone in management there and ask them about me (of course I would never give those people as a reference for that job. I give friends and supervisors who knew and liked me there).

Has it kept me from getting jobs? Hard to say.
I am employed now, and have gotten many job offers since leaving that job (didn't take all of them).
Of course there were jobs I didn't get offered. But it's hard to know if burning my bridges at that one company is the reason why.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:47 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kion View Post
Wait. You "extended an offer" before conferring with a "hiring manager"? One that later told you that you couldn't hire him?

Suspect x1000
Wrong choice of words. Rather, I extended my offer to bring him in rather than an outright job offer.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Even if you think you're settled for life, don't burn any bridge. You never know if you might need that bridge again in the future.

About 8 months ago, a sub sent this guy to work in my office. Very good at what he does. In fact, he was so good, I extended an offer to him if he ever wanted a full time position at our company, which paid a heck of a lot more. We're also like a million times bigger than his company. He was excited for the opportunity. So, I spoke with the hiring manager and the hiring manager agreed with me that that guy was good at what he does.

All of a sudden, he got another job offer elsewhere. When we shook hands on the last day before he started his new job elsewhere, I again told him if he ever needed a job just call me.

Earlier this week, I got that phone call. It didn't work out with the other company. He got let go. So, I called the hiring manager and asked him if he remembered (insert name here). The hiring manager exploded into the phone and said he would never consider him. Ever. He also told me that guy burned all his bridges before he left. I had previously heard that the guy didn't know how to properly conduct proper office politics, but I had no idea it was so severe.

After I spoke with the hiring manager, I called the guy up and asked him what the hell did you do to make the hiring manager so mad almost a year later? After a little cat and mouse game, he finally admitted that the day he left, he sent out a group email to several people basically telling them to suck it.

For goodness sake, people, even if you think you will never need the bridges ever again, don't burn all your bridges on your way out.

Why do I always feel like I'm reading Aesop's Fables when you post things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment