Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM

70 posts, read 61,390 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for an IT job with a top hospital in Colorado. The job is entry level but the pay is way better than what I'm making at my current job. Here are the conditions that were on the job posting;

Min Wage: $ 18:24 Mid Wage : $ 20.58 Max Wage: $24.78

Education Requirements: GED or HS Diploma Experience Requirements: none Certs Required: None

I felt the interview went well until they asked me about wages. I stated my desired pay is $20 dollars an hour, based on the fact that I have an associates degree in computer science and 1 year of experience in two positions. The female interviewer basically went on to tell my my year of experience is not worth that much.

She said my experience and degree is worth $17 or $18 which is below the listed min pay in the ad. I asked her if they factored education and experience into the pay. She did not answer. I do not think I was overly aggressive. I was polite and kind. I told her I'd be willing negotiate on that number. In my mind, anything below $ 19 an hour would not have been enough incentive for me to leave my job where i'm making $16.50.

I feel that if i were a man, me asking for a bump in pay when i clearly have exceeded whats being asked for would have gotten me the desired salary. Also, she seemed very concerned about Tech certs when this job does not require any. I have three things against me here in this field 1) being female, 2) being a minority, and 3) not having an A+ cert which equates to an IT tech who has 9 months of experience disregarding my year of actual hands on experience.

Any thoughts on a woman's pay in the IT field? Did I do something wrong here by asking for a mid range of pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:34 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Did they make a formal offer yet? I'd not accept below the minimum when you meet the education requirements. However, they may have multiple candidates willing to accept less than minimum. This happened to me recently. Said I was the better candidate but someone else offered to work for less.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:44 PM

No.

I didn't even get an offer. I have a high feeling it was due to this conversation.

The interview came and went and then finally two weeks letter I get some auto email saying they've chosen to pursue other people for the job.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
It sounds like they are trying to low-ball you. When they start finding excuses to say your experience doesn't count etc. and drop you below the minimum.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Yes, that's the vibe I got and it sucks because working this this place has been a dream of mine for awhile.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:00 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,552 times
Being a woman may have nothing to do with this. They might have a tight budget and take the highest qualified person who agrees to take the lowest hourly salary. That's how a lot of places operate.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Always avoid the hard sell until you have an offer in hand. Get some certs.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,541 times
Being a woman has nothing to do with this.

Stop blaming a lack of a penis for your problems.

News flash: Men have a hard time getting good salaries in today's market as well.

If you don't like their offer, look elsewhere.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:04 PM

"Being a woman has nothing to do with this.Stop blaming a lack of a penis for your problems."

Lockdev you fail to see my point of this post.

It's not a statement of not liking the job offer and woe is me. There was no job offer which highly/ probably had to do with me asking for a higher rate of pay

It's a question of did they just low ball me in general due to me not asking the right way or if I was a man would I have gotten the offer under the same circumstances?

Women are lacking in the IT field and it is a known fact that woman generally makes less than a man for the same job title. I'm not blaming my gender or race for my problems but it does greatly contribute to them in the work force. Instead of being snarky maybe you could answer my question.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Being a woman may have nothing to do with this. They might have a tight budget and take the highest qualified person who agrees to take the lowest hourly salary. That's how a lot of places operate.
Hmmmm...how many men would settle for a below-minimum salary? Right, they usually choose women to low-ball the worst because they don't usually counter.

Anyway, you don't want to work for a company like that in the long run - you won't get good raises and anything you do get will be a percentage based on too low a base salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment