Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,996 times

Advertisements

I was hired by an employment agency to work an auto plant. I had to first pass a physical. I was told I failed the physical but they wouldn't tell me why. I suspected that it was because I have a degree of foot drop. You could not tell how I walk that I have any problem and I work a job where I operate foot pedals and walk 10 miles a shift without any problem. I also have a brace I got a few years ago that I could use if necessary but I never use it. According to the law, an employer must make reasonable accommodations for disabilities. Allowing me to wear a brace would be reasonable I think. The doctor took about a minute with the physical and would not answer anything I said to him. I told him I couldn't walk on my heal on one foot but I had no problem doing any job.

After I filed an EEOC complaint they finally told me it was because of the foot drop. Last week they sent my case for mediation. I'm not sure what will happen or what to ask for. Should I ask for the back pay I would have got if they had hired me when they were going to and the job I was promised? Will they make an offer just to get rid of me? I'm not sure I even want to work there anymore. It's Volkswagen and their unscrupulous activities that came to light yesterday with the emissions tampering has kind of soured me on working for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:15 PM

146 posts, read 214,283 times
If you get offered the job, you will have a gigantic target on your back, you will most likely be held to EVERY.SINGLE.RULE and regulation, you will be out the door in a year, and to top it off, you will probably be treated extremely coldly by management and staff, do not expect a good morning or even a smile, the only reason I know this, is because I worked with a guy that went through that, he filed an EEO complaint, won, and was offered the job, he stuck through it, but having your job scrutinized is annoying, and to make matters worse, they scrutinized us to the same degree so he could not claim " discrimination " and most of the employees ended up hating the guy too, since he made our jobs a nightmare, we had to reach perfection on every facet of our job, long time employees got wrote up for crap they had never been wrote up for before just so they could write up the guy.

When he finally quit, about two-three months down the line, everything went back to " normal. "

Your second recourse is to claim " back pay " thats something an attorney and you will have to discuss, I can tell you, I dont think youl get much if anything, but IANAL.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:07 PM

553 posts, read 1,211,831 times
The search tool is your friend. Also, hire an employment lawyer. There is no other substitute for getting the kind of legal advice you seek.

Here is the kind of information you can get by searching the threads:

What to Expect At EEOC Mediation thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,912,869 times
your state should have a PNA - a Protection and Advocacy organization. They deal with the ADA. Call them and maybe they can be there on your behalf or tell you what to expect

Old 09-24-2015, 06:35 AM

1,789 posts, read 2,390,172 times
OP, I assume you don't have an attorney yet? You need to get one ASAP with employment law experience. He or she can answer your questions.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,996 times
I don't think I have enough damages to warrant an attorney. I got a call last Friday from the EEOC mediator. He said that Volkswagen had agreed to mediate. Not sure of the date yet but he said it would probably be the first week in November. I'll post an update on how things go.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:30 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,338,200 times
If you are retaliated against after filing an EEOC complaint, you have another EEOC complaint for workplace retaliation. Retaliation for filing an EEOC complaint is illegal.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
Default eeoc complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom722 View Post
I don't think I have enough damages to warrant an attorney. I got a call last Friday from the EEOC mediator. He said that Volkswagen had agreed to mediate. Not sure of the date yet but he said it would probably be the first week in November. I'll post an update on how things go.

I also have a EEOC complaint charge with VW Chattanooga, can you shed some light on how your mediation went?

Old 05-03-2016, 01:07 PM

22,663 posts, read 47,859,192 times
The OP has not been around for over six months...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment