Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's worth going back to school unless there is something specific that you know you really want to do, and you need to go to school in order to do it. Going to just to go isn't likely to be all that different than when you went before.

Maybe borrow some career books from the library, and look for online resources to narrow down your interests and talents, and then you can figure out a goal for yourself and the right path to get there.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 03:24 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Don't feel as if you are all alone, surely many may be in the same place or may be worse off. I know, sometimes things end up differently than we had hoped or expected. One does not always know where interests or abilities lie until later on, while in the midst of trying to manage. I would say, unless you have a definite plan in which certain schooling would be helpful, I would consider other avenues.

You might investigate areas of interest and seeing what is necessary to get where you want to go. It does seem one may be happier in a field which best utilizes one's natural leanings and interest, realizing you are in need of a better income, besides. Possibly through putting the word out, one can end up with an opportunity for something more approriate you had not known of.

You might consider testing for and applying for a position with the city, which provides better pay and good benefits, in order to have a new start in a lesser period of time. It might not be something you love, but then with your financial needs covered, could spend time fulfilling other interests or attending night courses for something else that may provide satisfaction, down the road.

Good luck with it all. And remember, you are not "lesser-than".. everyone is on their own path.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 AM

190 posts, read 202,353 times
Going back to school would not guarantee a better career, but going to a trade school for an interest would. Another path would be to get a job in a big company and work your way up, there are always opportunities in these retail type jobs. I think you learn on the job for the most part, yes you need certain skills but the particulars are learned on the job. If you desire more time with kids, volunteer to work with them or become a big sister. I love volunteering with my local animal shelter too.
Owning--or being owned--by a house is not the end all. Or having children. You have a lot of freedom now to do what you want. Having a job, rather than a career is perfectly ok.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 AM

529 posts, read 508,412 times
I have not had a career and I am 30. I hated it. I hated myself for it. I hated my failures. I hated being "educated" and never having had a career. I hated myself so much I tried to kill myself, but this was for reasons well beyond not having a career. I still hate myself, but I have retrieved a little of old spark I had when I was throwing my heart and soul into "establishing" myself. We'll see how it works. Still, the difference this time is that I am mentally prepared to fail despite my efforts, which in turn might lead me to...

To be honest, I'm not sure I really care for a career anymore...I'd rather just make 18-22$/hr and work 40 hours a week. No advancement. No change. No house. Just an average condo.

Last edited by startingfromscratchagain; 05-09-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 AM

529 posts, read 508,412 times
Like this job or something similar I could see myself doing for 15-20 years.I'd jump at the change to be solely devoted to one organization and actually make a difference over the course of 2 decades. Starting and helping a place grow. ETC.

education program officer
$16 - $20 an hour - Full-time, Permanent

Teacher training or certification; Special education; Literacy . Work Setting
Non-governmental organization; Community service organization; Social service or charity agency . Security and Safety
Criminal record check . Transportation/Travel Information
Own transportation . Functional Expertise
Public relations or communications; Program administration or operations management . Personal Suitability
Effective interpersonal skills; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Client focus .

Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I don't know, I'm not sure what the OP's issues are but I think many "menial" jobs can still lead to a career.
A McDonald's clerk can put in the time to be an Asst Mgr and then Mgr of a store.
A housekeeper and become a supervisor and manager of the department.
Etc, etc.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:53 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
I suggest looking at local community colleges and checking out programs that are directly job training. A friend went to culinary school, became a certified chef, and makes a nice living. He has even been able to travel by taking jobs on tourist ships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment