Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
But what you will most likely find is that almost every one in every profession feels like you do in IT
Bingo. There will always be over performers and underperformers in every line of work. The underperformers tend to try and appear important to keep up the ruse that what they do adds value to a company. The over-performers often get looked over initially because they tend to put their head down and get work done. Since everything is flowing smoothly, management doesn't notice that the reason it is going smoothly is because of them. If there were a big problem, and that over performer fixed it they're more likely to get noticed.

It's not specific to IT. It took me 3 years in my current role to get noticed despite being one of two people who carry the weight of 6 in our department. The other 4 spend most of their days playing on Facebook, gossiping, or taking extended lunches. When we finally shifted to a new manager she immediately picked up on it and gave us more tasks. Now when something urgent comes along, we get it. It took about 6 months after she took over to get us promotions, which she is actively working on.

All you do when you move from one field to the next is trade one set of problems for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post

I feel like I either 1) need to switch to a different function or 2) change careers. I feel like I need to get away from this nonsense. But switch to what? I've considered HR, but going from 154K a year to 60K a year entry level HR is going to hurt. Not because I am a big spender, I'm not, but because of the huge hit to my savings rate. I would do it if I had more money, as in worked a few years more, but right now?
Try more like 45K ... after getting the applicable degree, and beating out attractive young women for those roles.

60K is more than we pay our entry level engineers.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:47 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I didn't know we were all miserable. I'm in IT and very happy. I have a lot of friends in IT and don't know one that is miserable. Maybe it's just Cleveland.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM

486 posts, read 832,395 times
I work in IT now and like it much better then my old non IT job. Just as much BS at the old job plus it didn't pay as well. I also thought the BS at the old job was worse because it involved problems with simple thing vs the problems in IT being relatively complicated.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:10 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I would do a lot for $154k/year.

Just do your work and relax on your yacht in the evenings, sipping champagne. You will never find a job that pays so well and doesn't cause headaches one way or another. Who cares if there is bull****, it isn't your responsibility, just do what you are told and enjoy the awesome pay. Buy a nice sportscar.

Our IT guy is an alcoholic, scapegoat for everything and earns $. And that's true for most IT people I know.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:51 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Networks exist for a reason. I know which places to avoid, because of bad experiences with their current manager, who used to work at xyz with me.

If I don't like the environment due to a bad boss or team, I can hit up one of my former bosses that were good. Besides former bosses, I can also talk to all my former team members that have moved on to other places.

If I like the environment, I will let my former colleagues that it is safe to come over.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Invest that 80 over 5-10 years and you can walk away. Then earn your 45 and let the side fund compound.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
[quote=Tac-Sea;44035487]
So, I do get what you're saying about due diligence, especially with the manager. I've asked questions about change request process, culture, management style. Trouble is, you can never tell for sure. And even if you get a good one, they move on, get promoted, shuffled, whatever.
/QUOTE]

Yes, but it is like most things, if you don't do your home work and ignore red flags the chance of it being a terrible situation greatly increases.

Good for you for turning down things which weren't a good fit for you. The thing is, if you tell others why you didn't take it they might not agree with you. But this is a very personal thing.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
It's no wonder IT jobs are four of the top 10 worst jobs out there.
Hmmmm.....how bout' you go roof houses or clean toilets for a couple of years and see if that doesn't perk up your outlook on the IT profession.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:30 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
There are certain universal b.s. qualities in all workplaces (women probably experience these more often than men, although I suppose men have their own special complaints)...

I forget what this rule is named, but: 20% of the people on any staff do 80% of the work. It's true. It's a variation of the famous 80/20 rule (I guess that's the name of the rule, huh). If you find yourself as one of the 20%, particularly if you're a woman, watch out: you will begin to be treated like office equipment.

You'll know you're one of these when your co-workers get annoyed or angry when you tell them you're moving on. To them, it's like the copier or the printer broke. They get annoyed because they realize all the work they're going to have to learn how to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment