Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:02 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Meteorologist or accountant.
Hey that's my degree! Not enough jobs sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 06:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Coulda woulda shoulda.

I've done the lookback many years ago and don't see that my brilliant career could have been any different. With no guidance from teachers or parents I majored in Theatre in college (self-paid no parental financial support), so very employable haha. After graduation and some semi-pro parts (that means semi-paid) I learned my personality was not suited to be an actress.

I am an artist however who just needed to find the right profession and became a professional photographer. Now retired after a successful career I paint (canvases, oil paint, landscapes and abstracts).

I think we all become who we are unless overwhelming circumstances prevent it.

Those of you who have children--do you influence your children in choosing their career? Support them even if you don't agree with their choice?

My experience talking with friends who have children is they know they don't want them to do what they did careerwise but not too sure what their child should choose as a career except what they hear on the news (STEM, MBA, etc).

Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'd have told myself to just major in math and take the actuary exams right away.

Or do Finance.

I'd have told myself to stay away from STEM.

I'd have told myself to work, go to school, start investing early and get out of the workforce asap. Work is stupid. We're here one time in our lives, we should be enjoying freedom, not acting like our job is important to our existence.
We have a winner. Today with the technology available the old concept of retirement is obsolete. Today a person can have an internet business and basically work anywhere. Find that niche and work it.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Something that could be done in most areas. Think of teaching, nursing, pharmacy, etc. I don't care for where I live a bit, but it is an employment center for now
Unfortunately, those are the jobs that are in the cross-hairs of imported guest workers. It will be very difficult for ordinary Americans to get work in those fields over the next few years.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 PM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
When I say I don't care about $, it means I don't care about competing against other people in terms of my salary. I've got no problem whatsoever with being a 50 year old man who makes 40K a year as long as it is something I enjoy/has meaning. Anybody who doesn't like it can blow me.

For me, the amount that I need to live my current lifestyle is ~50K a year. But I spend a lot of money on dinners and alcohol and am not that frugal. I could easily take that down to maybe 40K. And I have multiple degrees. I think I'd be able to get a FT job that pays 40K, even in a do-gooder profession.

I don't have kids, if I did it would be different. As far as retirement, I doubt I'll be alive past 70.

We're all such slaves to our salaries. Even people who don't spend anywhere up to their salary.
$40K a year is livable, but of the teenagers who want to become professional, how many do you think are making $40K a year or more? Most of the musicians I know are making far less, and that's only because most of them quit rather than try to live on a pittance.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:58 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I have a BA in Economics, enrolled in graduate school, but dropped out of my MBA program as I got a great job in Silicon Valley. If I could do things over again, would have attended law school and gotten my JD.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:08 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
When I was in second grade I wanted to be an archaeologist. People used to laugh and say, "Isn't that cute?" At that time women usually became secretaries, nurses or teachers.

No one ever made any encouraging noises or said that it was a possibility. By the time I was in high school the nation was crying for more of my generation to go into teaching and I had long forgotten my first aspiration as anything but a whim.

I have, however, had a lifelong interest in the history of cultures and discovery of artifacts. In my travels I've visited a lot of interesting digs and museums. So it's become a side interest.

When I think of all the skills and characteristics an archaeologist must need I think I had a good sense of what would have suited me well. It seems a pity that my mentors hadn't yet moved beyond conventional male/female roles at that time.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
lobbyist

Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Unfortunately, those are the jobs that are in the cross-hairs of imported guest workers. It will be very difficult for ordinary Americans to get work in those fields over the next few years.
It's certainly not as bad as IT. My last employer was probably at least half foreign workers in US offices. Most "professional office jobs" are consolidating in major metros, and frankly, I don't care to live in cities as large as where I'm at.

I'm from small town Tennessee and I doubt you'll see Chinese and Indian guest workers beating down the doors to move there.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Wildlife Biology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment