Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:56 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Beer tester and/or bra fitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:58 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Everybody is medical school wants to be a dermatologist for the money and work/life balance. It is VERY difficult to get into. It's not something that you can really choose to do.

I would not recommend health care to anyone. Medicine has become big business and is no longer a good place to work. Expectations are insane. Employers are terrible. You have to constantly worry about lawsuits from patients. If you make a mistake, your career may very well be over. It is way over-regulated.

I don't think mid-career MDs are bored. I think they are burnt out and disillusioned.
I've been in healthcare for over 10 yrs with exposure to a wide variety of things. I have a very descent understanding of it. Go re-read the OP. He/she asked what career would we have chosen - operative word is "would". Clinical care isn't heaven but don't worry our pretty little head, for all the challenges MD's and other clinicians face, and for all the complaining you here, they're doing A-OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Become an entrepreneur. Work your ass off for a few years and get something going. Then, get the hell out of the work force. I honestly believe that owning a business is no longer riskier than having a job.
LOL. That's awesome.

First, do what I told you to do and re-read the OP and think about what "would" means. Then re-evaluate what you posted.

The vast majority of people who attempted to be entrepreneurs and worked their asses off are now former entrepreneurs. Of those who are still entrepreneurs, I make more money, work less, and have better benefits. The small percentage that's doing better, ask them if it was worth it and if they would do it again. That won't leave you with much.

OP, in addition to what I said before, I'd definitely throw in Actuarial Science.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:07 PM

658 posts, read 847,975 times
Dentistry!
You can perform surgeries after 4 years of dental school vs medicine where it's 4 years med school, then several more years in order to operate on someone OR...

a stripper in a high end club where I would be labeled an 'exotic dancer.' My body would be in shape, money would come easily, and the men would desire me and give me more money. Hell, a rich man might even make me his wife.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
$40K a year is livable, but of the teenagers who want to become professional, how many do you think are making $40K a year or more? Most of the musicians I know are making far less, and that's only because most of them quit rather than try to live on a pittance.
The musicians that I know do pretty well. They probably make in the ballpark of the 50s if I were to guess. But these are people who have dedicated their entire lives to making music and have never had a day job.

I know 40K is liveable because I see people at jobs who make less than that (at Home Depot, Burger King, etc) every day. And they have homes and food.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
LOL. You are in for a big surprise unless by 'married properly' you mean marrying a wealthy wife.
Your joke is inapplicable because no woman with even a shred of materialism is going to touch me with a ten foot pole. I'm going to be making 40K a year, remember?

Old 05-13-2016, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Another choice I would make is becoming a Congressman. (person) LOL

Apparently anyone can run and with the current crop of people running for office I am thinking anyone with half a brain has a chance.

President of the United States is up their on the list as well, or at least the ability to run. If I would have known how things were going to turn out I would have run for President.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
We have a winner. Today with the technology available the old concept of retirement is obsolete. Today a person can have an internet business and basically work anywhere. Find that niche and work it.
Are you doing this? If so please share!

(Signed,
A person who would love to be working remotely from anywhere in the world [and has no experience in anything IT-related, FYI.])

Old 05-13-2016, 01:27 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
Coulda woulda shoulda.

I've done the lookback many years ago and don't see that my brilliant career could have been any different. With no guidance from teachers or parents I majored in Theatre in college (self-paid no parental financial support), so very employable haha. After graduation and some semi-pro parts (that means semi-paid) I learned my personality was not suited to be an actress.

I am an artist however who just needed to find the right profession and became a professional photographer. Now retired after a successful career I paint (canvases, oil paint, landscapes and abstracts).

I think we all become who we are unless overwhelming circumstances prevent it.

Those of you who have children--do you influence your children in choosing their career? Support them even if you don't agree with their choice?

My experience talking with friends who have children is they know they don't want them to do what they did careerwise but not too sure what their child should choose as a career except what they hear on the news (STEM, MBA, etc).
I admire you; good to see an artist who was able to retire.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:07 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Would have done a double major with my computer science degree. Probably either finance or mathematics. Missed out on a lot of really good opportunities early in my career because of not having the math background.

Would have also moved out of my hometown much earlier and pursued entrepreneurship while in my 20's.

I got some really bad career advice early on from someone that I should have never listened to.

Decision caused me to miss out on a lot of money and valuable time.

I think that the people you surround yourself with and the people you have access to at an early age help determine the path you will take.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Private equity / investment banker. I worked really hard throughout my 20's to get my law degree and worked long hours at an accounting firm and law firm. I could just have easily worked those long hours at an i-bank or PE shop and currently be earning a multiple of what I make now.

Granted, I do very well for myself now, especially compared to those my age, but I'd be doing even better for the same amount of work if I had gone that path.

Oh, and I wish I didn't act like such an immature college kid during college- if I had done better in college, my career path would have been easier than it was. It took me a few years to pay the price for too much drinking and not enough studying during undergrad. Thankfully I matured before law school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment