Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,744 times

Advertisements

Hello,
A few months ago, we all switched shifts (Seniority bid system). I went into nights and one of my coworkers went onto days. When I was on days, I did her shift and came in from 2pm until midnight. Well, I was under the impression she was doing that same shift. I only worked with this lady once a week and as soon as I would come in at 10pm, she would up and leave. "Well that's not fair!" I thought. We are salary, so she was gypping the company out of two hours of pay. I know my manager wouldn't approve of that, but her (manager) being a 9-5 M-F shift, she wouldn't know that one of her employees was leaving two hours early every week. Last week I came in and was so sick of it. As soon as my coworker saw me walk in the door, she got her keys are started shutting down her computer. I commented "I know you are scheduled to leave at midnight, but if you want to leave now you can". She simply said "ok, its not busy", and left. A few days later we get a general e-mail from the manager stating that people need to stay their whole shift and not tell others when to leave, what shifts to take or what days to take off etc. That didn't exactly match my situation, but I figured it may have something to do with it.

A week has passed and she again left early. I am flipping through the schedule right now (we have the whole year pinned in the break room) At some point that shift changed from 2pm-midnight, to noon until 10pm. I am set in overnight schedule, so to be honest, I have never looked at the schedule much. I guess this changed months ago. I was under the impression it was still until midnight.

I won't see my coworker for another week (two weeks removed from the situation). We made pleasantries this evening and she left at 10pm (as scheduled). The e-mail is almost a week old at this point. I saw my boss for a few minutes yesterday and she didn't say anything. She was in a good mood, and had a quick chat about the weather and I left (my shift ends as she starts). Should I just let the situation go, or apologize? Should I apologize to my boss, the coworker or both? I don't want to open a can of worms and just thinking "a good deed doesn't go unpunished".

I was in the wrong, and want to make things right, but is the right thing to do is nothing at all? And yes, I have learned to keep my mouth shut and if people are leaving hours early, not to say anything as its not my business, even if its not fair.

Thank you!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Leave things as they are and hope you do not get a reprimand.
Tend to your own shift and don't worry with others that are not under your supervision.
One's nose is unscathed when kept on one's own face.

PS ~~ If you really did learn your lesson you would have no reason to think someone leaving early *is not fair* as you stated in your last line. It appears the learned lesson is questionable.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. Lesson learned!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Keep quiet. You have already made yourself look very foolish and now management is aware of it. Better hope there are no layoffs in the future, you will be the first one cut.

"A few days later we get a general e-mail from the manager stating that people need to stay their whole shift and not tell others when to leave, what shifts to take or what days to take off etc. That didn't exactly match my situation, but I figured it may have something to do with it. "

Are you kidding? This was generated due to what you said. May have something to do with it? They're talking about YOU. Now you're on their radar as a troublemaker.

MYOB going forward.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I don't get it.

Was the OP being openly sarcastic when telling the co-worker about it being ok if she left early? Or in a manner that showed her true feelings of annoyance and anger thinking that at the time she was leaving hours early and gaming the system?

I don't get how it went from what the OP said to getting a general email about people needing to stay their whole shift and not telling others when to leave.

At any rate this is why I don't involve myself with what others do.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
why is OP even meddling in other people's schedule?

not his, he shouldn't worry about it... acting like the boss doesn't know if it is consistently happening? and how is it not fair, she put in the 8 hours too

apologize to coworker, and say you had an off day and thought you two were on the same schedule.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
why is OP even meddling in other people's schedule?

not his, he shouldn't worry about it... acting like the boss doesn't know if it is consistently happening? and how is it not fair, she put in the 8 hours too

apologize to coworker, and say you had an off day and thought you two were on the same schedule.

10 hour shifts, not 8. Boss wouldn't know because its several hours after the boss leaves. Coworker should've pointed out on the schedule that I was wrong and saying "no, see, I work until 10pm, that's why I am leaving". This coworker is known to be pretty sneaky.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
10 hour shifts, not 8. Boss wouldn't know because its several hours after the boss leaves. Coworker should've pointed out on the schedule that I was wrong and saying "no, see, I work until 10pm, that's why I am leaving". This coworker is known to be pretty sneaky.
It appears that you're playing it off as if the coworker did something wrong. They did nothing wrong. They simply carried on with their business. The coworker is not required to discuss their schedule with you unless you are their manager or hr. Just like how you shouldn't be discussing someone else's schedule unless you are management or HR.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
...Coworker should've pointed out on the schedule that I was wrong and saying "no, see, I work until 10pm, that's why I am leaving". This coworker is known to be pretty sneaky.

Just why do you think she should have corrected you? She knows that her hours are none of your business and she now also knows that you dont know that. And, yes, she most likely did report your comment to your boss, if only to let him know that you were inserting your nostrils where they dont belong.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
OP, unless you want to be on unemployment, myob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.