Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:14 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times

Advertisements

I've worked 2 years at this company never called out sick. Only late twice due to very heavy traffic on the highway and second time an hour because I didn't realize was coming in for that shift.

Normally I work evenings, but work variable shifts. I usually work 10 evening shifts a month and 2 day shifts during a month. Working 2 day shifts next week.

I wrote down in my calendar working evenings today. Guess my boss and work has been calling me since 730 asking where I was.

Finally got in touch with my boss at 830, but have to call her in an hour. Very nervous on the outcome of this phone call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I've worked 2 years at this company never called out sick. Only late twice due to very heavy traffic on the highway and second time an hour because I didn't realize was coming in for that shift.

Normally I work evenings, but work variable shifts. I usually work 10 evening shifts a month and 2 day shifts during a month. Working 2 day shifts next week.

I wrote down in my calendar working evenings today. Guess my boss and work has been calling me since 730 asking where I was.

Finally got in touch with my boss at 830, but have to call her in an hour. Very nervous on the outcome of this phone call.
Depends on the job. If you are hard to replace, or the boss is not terrible, then you will be okay. If not, then you might get fired.

On the bright side, if you do get fired, then you didn't have a very good job in the first place.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Can it? Yes. Will it? No one here can tell you.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:49 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
I wouldn't fire you for this. Depending on your overall job performance, I might write you up

Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:

See what the mix-up was all about before you start to panic. Why did she tell you to call her back?

Depends on your boss and your company.

Where I work this would probably be a letter in your file and fodder if they were building a case against you.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
No word of a write up. The boss was okay with everything. She is going to see if I can receive PTO for today so I don't lose money. Said she didn't need me for any additional shifts on our unit today.

Was a bit nervous really pride myself on being at work everyday.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:21 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,105,303 times
Quote:
No word of a write up. The boss was okay with everything. She is going to see if I can receive PTO for today so I don't lose money. Said she didn't need me for any additional shifts on our unit today.

Was a bit nervous really pride myself on being at work everyday.
You sounded like a pretty conscientious employee. so I doubted you'd get fired, but no one here could really say (and what we thought didn't matter anyway). Glad it worked out for you. 🙂

Old 09-22-2016, 09:12 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
We rotate one person to a 10a to 7pm shift every 4 weeks or so. We have two people on that shift, but I just took the 10a to 7pm permanently for 2 reasons.. First.. I'm not a morning person.. Second, it's consistent. I don't have to worry about "What time am I supposed to be there today?"

Every now and again, someone comes in at the wrong time thinking they're working the 10am shift when they're not, or vice versa.. So long as it's not a consistent thing, it's no big deal. Mistakes happen, and you really have to account for that when you have someone whose shift changes fairly frequently.

How many days have you sat there thinking it was Thursday when it was actually Wednesday? It happens.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
In really low end work I wouldn't be surprised

Old 09-22-2016, 09:37 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
I was late by an hour twice at my current job. Both incidents just happened to fall on the days in which we get a corporate visit. First one was a warning, second one was a write up. The write ups are a joke because they often never get sent into HR and are just stuffed in a desk. Management turnover is so high that nobody remembers or cares.

What will happen to you depends on your boss and company policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment