Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:48 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think the push for more women in STEM is because STEM is typically more lucrative than teaching and/or considered more of a professional achievement. I would imagine that sanitation is male-dominated, but there isn't a big push for more women on garbage trucks because it isn't typically considered a "step up" from their other options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
STEM is more lucrative than teaching/education, so it's a goal to gravitate towards. As mentioned before, there are men in education, but they tend to be educators in high school and above. Probably because of the pedophile thing, and that women are seen more as nurturers compared to men.
That is not always true. I am a civil engineer, which is considered STEM (since E = Engineering), but I am paid less than teachers are paid in my area. Although I do realize that nationwide, teachers don't make as much money as they do in my area. But civil engineering is not a lucrative career anywhere in the US.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:49 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I have given thought to a career change and like helping people.

A friend is a retired school administrator and he told me as a guy in my late 40's single I would probably not be considered to teach younger kids because of gender bias.....sad even though I am awesome with kids in AYSO.

I am glad he said that before I consider spending time/money to get my CA teacher credential and waste a bunch of time and money.

Teaching HS might be more stressful than selling tech and being laid off/downsized every 1.5 years, not sure considering it.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
I do think the pedophilia issue is really prevalent now days. Not that it is happening (most cases involve family members and happen at home), but I think it is a stressful career when you are always worried you could be accused of something.

It is a real shame, because I think especially at younger levels, a lot of boys would do well with a male teacher since their learning style is so different to female learning styles at that age (and behavior), and female teachers often do not accommodate this well.

In terms of STEM, I actually think it is a good thing to emphasize this. There is a lot of whining about how women don't make as much as men, but very little realization when it comes to the fact that more often women (especially with advanced degrees) decide to work part-time or quit after having children, and that women are reticent to negotiate for better pay and benefits.
I think one of the reasons why women are attracted to teaching, is because it gives them a schedule similar to their kids' schedule.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
That's because today's educational system panders towards those who are inept in STEM.
That is because most teachers and administrators are inept at STEM.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Also, STEM is incredibly overrated. There are great cases to not just go with STEM because of the perception that it will pay big time. This is simply becoming less and less the case. The "critical shortage" is vastly overblown.
Exactly! That is the point that I keep making! Majoring in civil engineering was the biggest mistake of my life.

Quote:
I mean, sure, if you're an amazing engineer, you'll make good money, even fantastic money. My friends from college that got by with C's? Meh, they had a hard time getting a decent job. A couple are already out of the industry because it's so boring for the average person.
I have a Masters degree from MIT, and I still don't make good money.

Quote:
I say, let the girls do what they feel drawn to. Same with the boys. Tired of this social engineering crap.
Exactly!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because men are not facing discrimination when they try to become teachers...as a female scientist, the same cannot be said for women in the STEM fields.
Not true at all! Coming from you, I'm not surprised. Where I live, most school districts refuse to hire male teachers, claiming that the liability insurance is too expensive. However, in the STEM fields, due to affirmative action, employers are often forced to hire women.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
One pays well, with lots of excellent benefits and perks, commands respect or at the very least jealous rage and awe, and in some cases, depending on subfocus, skills, employer history, current company, and other factors, can offer a feeling of stability that's rare in 2016.
Not true! I've said many times: I am a civil engineer. We get horrible beneits and perks. In fact my employer even told me that if I wanted benefits, I went into the wrong profession. That was when I called in to say that I wouldn't be going to work during a blizzard where the county executive declared a state of emergency, and said all non-emergency vehicles must stay off the roads.

Quote:
The other pays poorly, with salaries constantly falling as state budgets are cut, is respected less and less with each passing year, and is pretty unstable and chaotic.
Teachers where I live make more than I do.

Quote:
Schools these days are begging for good men who are interested in being teachers, who want to teach.
Except that they refuse to hire men.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because they couldn't justify not paying a livable wage. Since Michigan told districts they don't have to give step increases to teachers many have stopped doing so. The TELL you that you get step increases and SHOW you the pay scale but reality is they just don't give them. It gets difficult to suppress wages if men are as likely to be in the field as women. There's still this mentality that we're worth less and/or need our incomes less.
Those of us in STEM aren't guaranteed raises either! But where I live, teachers are guaranteed raises by their union. You should know that. Remember, you became a teacher when you failed at your career in engineering.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:28 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
But people are drawn to money. The fact is, CS education has EXPLODED the past 5 or so years because everyone hears you can make 6 figures out of school (and no crazy debt like med school or law school). When I was in school, it was pretty easy to get into a CS class even if you weren't a CS major. Now at basically every school in the country, nearly every single undergraduate CS class is full. It's crazy.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:25 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
i'm a female in tech (majored in cs, work as a programmer). I've never faced discrimination based on gender.
It's not great for female scientists in higher education:

Bias Persists for Women of Science, a Study Finds - The New York Times

The truth about discrimination in science, from six female professors

There's a reason many women don't want to go into STEM:

The 5 Biases Pushing Women Out of STEM - Harvard Business School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment