Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,896 times

Advertisements

So I started working for a company and filled out a background check at the start of the month before starting. Here we are at the end of our second week, and now I got an email saying that they weren't able to contact my last employer.

With my previous job, I was let go due to not being able to meet my development plan (sales job) which meant I had to get a sale a week. I was let go around May 9th and had a phone interview for the new job right around that time. I interviewed in person a week later and was offered the job May 31st.

In the interview I didn't disclose that I was let go at the time. On my resume I also listed my start date as October 2015 when it was actually November 2015.

I feel like there is two options for me, come clean and admit that I started November 2015 and worked until May or get in contact with my friend who is a manager there and have her vouch for me, or possibly have a friend do it. They couldnt find any information to contact so they are looking for a valid contact or documents from me proving I worked there during that timeframe.

When they do a background check call, do they ask for documents to prove I was there or just simply ask if I was there a specific time? Would coming clean be a better option? I can't lose this job and I totally understand it was my fault and I shouldnt have lied about it but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Any help is appreciated. I know I will get some flack for this but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 AM

299 posts, read 350,728 times
If they need proof of last job, what about showing them paystubs?

Old 06-24-2016, 01:56 AM

21 posts, read 22,082 times
You're already hired, don't sweat it. They won't fire you now, they will loose to much $$ UNLESS they are using this as something to fire you over. That you lied to get hired.. Honestly, to ask you this now is just weird. I'd wonder how much they like me.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 AM

They are doing this to everyone. They let go some people in the last week due to lying on background. I heard from someone its more making up jobs and titles. I find it very odd that they are checking 2 weeks into a job. They were calling my professional references during my first week.

Should I just come clean or provide my managers cell and gave her vouch for my story?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:06 AM

258 posts, read 299,967 times
Unless they specifically ask you, don't say anything. Why call attention to the fact that you fudged some details?

In the meantime, I would suggest looking for replacement employment if you think you will be found out.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:14 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
I'd just ignore their "Request" till they make a "Demand" then have the ducks already in a row...(Delaying tactic)...Enjoy your weekend!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:52 PM

21 posts, read 22,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtruth View Post
They are doing this to everyone. They let go some people in the last week due to lying on background. I heard from someone its more making up jobs and titles. I find it very odd that they are checking 2 weeks into a job. They were calling my professional references during my first week.

Should I just come clean or provide my managers cell and gave her vouch for my story?
Oh well that is a little more promising. I agree with disgustedman on this one.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:44 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Look.. Starting in October or November.. That can be chalked up to an honest mistake. If they were asking about jobs from 20 years ago.. I might get the YEARS wrong. That's not lying.. That's having a crappy memory.

Not disclosing your separation from the company.. Now.. That could be a little more serious.. Did they not ask, or did you lie?

At least you're not saying "oh, by the way.. I had a felony conviction for possession with intent to distribute meth" because you know they're going to find out. Most previous companies REFUSE to talk anymore.. Good or bad. They don't want to get sued.

Siddown and Shaddap. You'll likely be fine. If your conscience is bothering you.. Come clean.. Even if they fire you.. you'll feel better in the long run, because this will always be in the back of your mind.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
So I started working for a company and filled out a background check at the start of the month before starting. Here we are at the end of our second week, and now I got an email saying that they weren't able to contact my last employer.

With my previous job, I was let go due to not being able to meet my development plan (sales job) which meant I had to get a sale a week. I was let go around May 9th and had a phone interview for the new job right around that time. I interviewed in person a week later and was offered the job May 31st.

In the interview I didn't disclose that I was let go at the time. On my resume I also listed my start date as October 2015 when it was actually November 2015.

I feel like there is two options for me, come clean and admit that I started November 2015 and worked until May or get in contact with my friend who is a manager there and have her vouch for me, or possibly have a friend do it. They couldnt find any information to contact so they are looking for a valid contact or documents from me proving I worked there during that timeframe.

When they do a background check call, do they ask for documents to prove I was there or just simply ask if I was there a specific time? Would coming clean be a better option? I can't lose this job and I totally understand it was my fault and I shouldnt have lied about it but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Any help is appreciated. I know I will get some flack for this but it is what it is.
Quote:

Making up a job or title is very different than being a month off in the date. There is not a big difference between starting a job 10/31 and starting a job 11/01, if you think about it that way. I'm not really sure why you said you started in October vs. November---was there a reason for that?

I had a job that was full of AWFUL people and when they were calling around to my previous jobs, I made sure to have them contact a specific manager. If I were you, I would speak to your manager at your previous job and say, "Hi, would you be able to verify my employment from 10/2015 through 05/2016?" If she says yes, give her contact information to the job you have now. The manager I had them contact literally had no idea what day I started working, and even though he didn't lie since my dates were the truth, he just went with what he had been told. That's it.

If you were feeling oh-so-guilty, you could always say, "This is the person you can contact. I spoke to them and even though I was interviewed in October, I was technically hired in November. My mistake." I probably wouldn't bother though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Look.. Starting in October or November.. That can be chalked up to an honest mistake. If they were asking about jobs from 20 years ago.. I might get the YEARS wrong. That's not lying.. That's having a crappy memory.

Not disclosing your separation from the company.. Now.. That could be a little more serious.. Did they not ask, or did you lie?
Now was she "let go" as in laid-off or "let go" as in fired. Not being able to make a sale---I could never go into sales, I would be fired every other day.

Related to what you were saying---my friend was putting together her resume a few years ago and was trying to apply to nursing jobs. She hadn't been a nurse in many years. She probably looked at that resume a hundred times and she finally noticed she had the wrong year down on something. Oops. It happens. I'm bad with dates so I could see myself doing the same thing.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 PM

So far I haven't responded back. If they press I will provide them a contact to talk to. From what I heard, most of the people let go either made up titles to get the job, lied about having a certain job, or had some type of criminal issue.

I put october because I didn't want to explain the gap of a month and the other part was because I was let go from not making enough sales. I was already in the phone stage when my previous employer let me go. I didn't want to have to explain the reason for it since I really needed a job.

A coworker is from overseas and they couldn't contact his employer, he provided a contact email and still hasnt heard whether they got in contact or not. Just seems like a really slow background check company. My hope is that I delay it long enough that they either just approve because it's gone on so long or if they push they will be antsy to wrap it up and accept whatever they can.

I'm just trying to focus on the job at hand and not let it phase me. I doubt it would be a huge issue since it's a month and I can easily verify I worked the job. I guess it's a wait and see approach and when pushed I will try to provide something. Thank you for all the help everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment