Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:11 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times

Advertisements

So first of all a little background on me, I am the creative type. I love writing, designing (graphic design), I am always coming up with stories or movies I would like to write. Every job I have had all my bosses highlight how I am so creative, strategic and a true asset to the team. Pretty much all my employers have been very happy with me. With that being said I seem to be moving jobs a lot. I am already starting to ponder a move and have only been at this job for 8 months. A little background on me.

I studied architecture in school, but graduated in 2008, and due to the economy could not get a job in the architecture industry so I went into marketing and have been there ever since. This is my history:

Advertising Agency - 2009 - 2011
This is job where I did really well and all my supervisors were very happy with me. Also the CEO (this company has 1,500 employees worldwide) had a very good relationship with me. He would call me a "diamond in the rough". He really valued my creativity and would for amount of time I was given free reign to do whatever I wanted to do. Let's just say I was successful. However, towards the end, there was a huge shake up and they fired my ENTIRE team except for me. I was the only one left, and they gave me a promotion. I was young and stupid at the time and was dating someone at the company. She convinced me to leave because said no one could be trusted there and that who knows if they would fire me. Because I was convinced I couldn't trust anyone there, I resigned to join a startup, event though they really liked and wanted to keep me. I realize that I was a rising star there and made an unwise choice due to the influence of my ex who would cause nothing but drama there (which is why she was so unhappy and really implemnted the misery loves company deal).

The salary I was making there was decent: $55k

[b]
Startup 2012-2015 /B]
After I left the ad agency I joined a startup, just me and the founder. I was able to be very creative, but the only thing is a I took a huge pay cut. It all started great until the founder started to show his true colors. He was insulting, mean, arrogant, narcissistic and a bully. Even though I was his first employee, he hired more little by little. They would all last only three months because they could not handle how he would treat them and they would quit. I stayed because I had a lot of creative freedom and loved what I was doing, but eventually left because I couldn't take the abuse anymore. I loved what I did, but not for who I did it for.

Salary: $40k

Tech Company 2016 - Present
I then joined this tech company. Now my boss is amazing! Completely 360 from the previous one. The exec team loves me (we are about a company of 200 employees). The challenge I am facing is I am bored, bored as heck. I just got my 6 month review, and they are really really happy with me and I can expect a promotion. The thing is I am not even trying though. I don't have quite the freedom as I did in the other two jobs, and the product itself is boring. I am giving it 50% and yet somehow it exceeds their expectations. It's like I am not being challenged enough, therefore not trying, but they are so impressed. So with that being said, I want to leave, but at the same time love my boss, love my coworkers, and feel I should stay at least til I hit my 2 year anniversary here.

They pay me $75k.

However, even with having an amazing boss and coworker, I am just so bored I don't feel challenged. I am someone who HAS to be challenged. With me not really even trying that hard I somehow still blow them away.

What makes me scared of doing a move is will I look like a job hopper? Also, I get scared of who my next boss could be. After the HORRENDOUS experience of my boss last time, and then this one being the opposite it's like I am trying to figure out what I value more, having a good boss and treated well or continue to being challenged and creative?

Sometimes I just don't know which way to go....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:14 PM

436 posts, read 520,945 times
You're just venting right?

Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
You're just venting right?
Sort of. I think I am just very very bored and can't decide if I need to suck it up or do something about it.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:27 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
You do realize that there's a point that has to come that no matter how challenged you might be, you'll not find it enough and continue to seek that "Which You Cannot Find"

I'd really look at where I was at and then TALK with your bosses and say you don't feel challenged enough and wish for more creativity and challenges...Maybe they don't realize your potential and you need to be showing that to them....

Old 08-08-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Sort of. I think I am just very very bored and can't decide if I need to suck it up or do something about it.
First world problems right?

Old 08-08-2016, 02:33 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Maybe you need to work for yourself! No limits placed on your creativity.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
First world problems right?
Yeah I know. That's why I go back and forth and sometimes I am tell myself just deal with it. I am treated well, they love me, I get paid the most I have ever been paid. getting a promotion. What is there to complain about? Better to be bored and well paid than treated like crap, or be severely underpaid.

I am thinking of actually doing some sidework on the side to fulfill my creative needs too.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
You do realize that there's a point that has to come that no matter how challenged you might be, you'll not find it enough and continue to seek that "Which You Cannot Find"

I'd really look at where I was at and then TALK with your bosses and say you don't feel challenged enough and wish for more creativity and challenges...Maybe they don't realize your potential and you need to be showing that to them....
Yeah actually we have had that discussion with my boss about a week ago. She wants to make sure that I feel I am going in the right career trajectory. So with that being said this month after we go through some projects they are opening up some of my creative freedoms. Perhaps that will help.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Maybe you need to work for yourself! No limits placed on your creativity.
I am trying that too. I decided after Labor day weekend I am going to start planning, putting together my website and stuff, and start doing sidework in late 2016 in my free time. I am hoping that will help fulfill the creative urge. I think my employer sees it and gets it.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:40 PM

Are you AIA? There's gotta be a firm or two out there you could consult with on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment