Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
You're lucky. I'm on salary on my job so any hours I work over 40 hours I don't get any overtime. Just my fixed $50k base salary. My company does give out bonuses every year so that kind of makes up for the extra hours you have to work to meet your deadlines.
IT support staff are always hourly.
They mostly fall into Non-exempt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:09 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
At least those in trades are working. In many cases getting paid overtime.
The number of jobs in the trades is still 1.7 million less than the peak before the recession.

Everyone thinks the job market is going like gang busters, but it simply isn't true.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
there were over half a million tech jobs unfulfilled last year. i think those stem grads are looking for jobs in the wrong places.
But they aren't hiring new grads for most of those jobs.

The issue for everyone is employers now list an unbelievable amount of requirements and if you only have 90%, they won't hire you.

I hear story after story from friends in industry who have had openings open for a year or more and in their opinions, their employers don't really want to hire. They interview candidate after candidate that they feel are qualified to hire and every single time HR picks out some very insignificant reason why they will not be extending an offer.

If there was a real shortage of labor, wages would be shooting thru the roof, employers would be lowering requirements, they would be willing to train people etc.......and none of this is happening on any significant level.

Any employer who can't find someone in a year either doesn't want to really hire or isn't willing to do what is needed to hire someone in today's market.

Also, the other issue is there are plenty of educated, skilled and experienced candidates but since they are older, have long term gaps or long term unemployed, or returning stay at home parents, employers won't hire them.

Just because there are openings, that doesn't really mean much when employers aren't willing to hire and fill those spots.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:48 AM

299 posts, read 187,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Just for the heck of it, I just looked for a couple of minutes, for openings for software engineers. Job after job was open, but in first 3 pages of listing out of many pages, not one was in the Silicon Valley.
You have to filter the job search by location. On Indeed, there are 8,002 jobs for Software Engineers in San Francisco. It goes down to 1,356 if you add entry level to the filter

Quote:
I think a big problem for many Stem Graduates are only looking in small parts of the country, and are not even willing to look in PODUNK, Arkansas even in there are no jobs for them in the Silicon Valley. They are not willing to go where the jobs are, and there are no jobs where they are willing to go. They say the jobs in Podunk don't pay as much as in the Silicon Valley, but do not consider the cost of living factor, and they could be making 30% more as far as buying power in Podunk, Arkansas.
It's the high salaries (80k+) they see for positions in California (San Francisco). They don't immediately see the high cost of living and the very competitive job scene. Most positions require a few years experience and proficiency in one or more languages.

Some new grads do find entry level jobs (Software Engineer) in San Francisco but all the ones I talked to had 1 or more internships during college and contributed to open source projects (GitHub) to showcase some skill.

I hear about a lot of smaller area jobs going unfilled as well because no one wants to travel to those places.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:01 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
That is what I have noticed in my industry. All the full time chemist positions are actually in small towns that many young graduates don't want to move to.
I tried that right out of college. After 6 months of staffing agencies offering me $15 an hour and me telling them to get bent I took a job 800 miles away because it was the only job that offered benefits and a half decent pay $45k. I got laid off after 9 months and was stranded in a town with no chance of professional employment. Fortunately I was able to move out of there within 2 weeks.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
Oh yeah, sure there are a "lot" of jobs. Those searches on Indeed or whatever now give "polluted" results, not really so filtered out db searches. An initial search for "software engineer" in Downers Grove IL results in 4300+ jobs, from an over 25 mile radius which just might be the city of Chicago, - and results of jobs over 30 days old too.... Total Bul****! Then if you do an advanced search of 10 mi radius and jobs only within the past 15 days, only 138 jobs, but lotsa "polluted" results too like a Quality Eng, Structural Project Eng, Sr Infrastructure Eng, Layout Drafter, etc...

But in any era an entry level job for college grads is hard to find because grads have no experience.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 AM

299 posts, read 187,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Oh yeah, sure there are a "lot" of jobs.
There are in the San Francisco.
Quote:
Those searches on Indeed or whatever now give "polluted" results, not really so filtered out db searches.
You get polluted results when you don't search the exact phrase.

Quote:
An initial search for "software engineer" in Downers Grove IL results in 4300+ jobs, from an over 25 mile radius which just might be the city of Chicago, - and results of jobs over 30 days old too.... Total Bul****!
Then if you do an advanced search of 10 mi radius and jobs only within the past 15 days, only 138 jobs, but lotsa "polluted" results too like a Quality Eng, Structural Project Eng, Sr Infrastructure Eng, Layout Drafter, etc...
You didn't search Indeed correctly, if you are getting positions such as Quality Eng, Structural Project Eng, Sr Infrastructure Eng, Layout Drafter, etc..

If you put "Software Engineer" with double quotation marks and select exact location only for Downers Grove, IL you get a result of 2. You would find 983 for Chicago, IL. A job posting of 15 or more days old doesn't automatically mean it is fillled.

Quote:
But in any era an entry level job for college grads is hard to find because grads have no experience.
Simply having a degree doesn't automatically mean you get a job. Some entry level jobs (Software Engineer) want to see extra things (internships,projects) in college. There are a lot of variables involved in getting a job.

Last edited by GritsCode; 07-31-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 AM

191 posts, read 230,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Oh yeah, sure there are a "lot" of jobs. Those searches on Indeed or whatever now give "polluted" results, not really so filtered out db searches. An initial search for "software engineer" in Downers Grove IL results in 4300+ jobs, from an over 25 mile radius which just might be the city of Chicago, - and results of jobs over 30 days old too.... Total Bul****! Then if you do an advanced search of 10 mi radius and jobs only within the past 15 days, only 138 jobs, but lotsa "polluted" results too like a Quality Eng, Structural Project Eng, Sr Infrastructure Eng, Layout Drafter, etc...

Oh there's lots of jobs alright..... lots of sub-$20/hour low paying jobs

Old 07-31-2016, 09:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
That is what I have noticed in my industry. All the full time chemist positions are actually in small towns that many young graduates don't want to move to.

I did a nationwide job search for chemist jobs on indeed and most of the jobs that popped up were either government jobs (which can be hard to get if you don't have any experience) or full time private sector jobs in random towns like youngsville, North Carolina or Breechwood, Ohio. There were some temp jobs with low pay in the mix as well.

For the most part you have to move to get ahead but you have to move to an area that is affordable on the salary the company offers you. $50k a year in Boston is peanuts and can't even get you an apartment with roommates but $50k in Greenville, South Carolina or Morgantown, West Virginia is a decent salary and you can afford to rent your own place and save 15-20% of your income every year and not feel like you are living paycheck to paycheck.

Back in Atlanta the only decent company that was hiring was the CDC which is super competitive to get hired. Coca-Cola rarely hires new chemists and Georgia-Pacific went to hiring their science staff through temp agencies paying $15-20 per hour with no benefits. That's why I accepted my current job in West Virgina. No reason to stay in Atlanta if all the jobs I am qualified for pay crap, don't offer health insurance, don't offer 401k matching, don't offer paid holidays, and don't offer paid vacations. Any company that doesn't offer those basic benefits aren't worth your time.
50k is completely doable in Boston with roommates. My daughter made 55k when she moved to Boston 6 years ago right out of undergrad. She lived with 3 roommates in a 4 bedroom 4th floor walk up in Beacon Hill. Now she makes 125k. Getting a masters plus a couple smart job changes made that happen. It's not like taking a job for 55k in Boston at age 22 is a life sentance where you'll always be scraping by at that income level. Not only is her 401k maxed, but she has many shares in all 3 companies she's worked for given to her at no to low cost. One has already gone public and her shares are currently worth about 30k. The others may never be worth much, but then again they maybe worth a bunch. You never know with Biotech.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:07 AM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I tried that right out of college. After 6 months of staffing agencies offering me $15 an hour and me telling them to get bent I took a job 800 miles away because it was the only job that offered benefits and a half decent pay $45k. I got laid off after 9 months and was stranded in a town with no chance of professional employment. Fortunately I was able to move out of there within 2 weeks.
That really sucks. In my current town there is only one other chemical company and they don't have as many open positions as the current pharmacetuicals company I work for right now.

If something happens to my job (laid off, let go, lost job from a merger, etc.) I will have to move again perhaps another city or back to Atlanta since they aren't many science positions in this area. Hopefully by then I will have 5+ years of experience in pharmacetuicals and hands on experience with GC, HPLC, ICP-MS, Dissolution, Drug Release that I will have a competitive resume to find another job. If not, I think I will just work about any job that pays the bills. I'm trying to save as much money as I can so I can be prepared for any job loss that may occur if the S*** hits the fan and massive lay offs occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment