Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,428 times

Advertisements

This video summarizes a topic that is brought up frequently on this forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UauOlS1feo0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 06:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Well, college is not a vocational school.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Hahaha!

I guess the appeal is boomer-bashing, right?
"About Aaron Clarey
Captain Capitalism is the resident economist of the mano/androsphere. He is a misanthropic, hedonist, nihilistic, cynical type"... and it shows.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
he stated the problem, the kid wants a job that isnt entry level while he has no experience, why would anyone hire the kid?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:45 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I knew several CS graduates who couldn't find related work, but that was several years back and in a rural area.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
This guy is really cringeworthy, but I'm going to try and make it through as much of that video as I can. Off the top of my head:

- "Free Market Libertarians" were not in charge in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. That's a flawed understanding of American history.

- "Slowdown in Economic Growth" is not necessarily the cause of the soft labor market. What you have is a decoupling of GDP growth and wage/employment growth, as high productivity and technology reduce the demand for most types of labor.

- "Boomers staying in their jobs" is kind of a weak complaint, if you ask me. Their generation has mismanaged the economy, though, I agree with that.

- I agree with his assessment of employer hiring; e.g., they don't care what you're capable of, and a fresh graduate from a non-elite school will likely have to take a job below his or her skillset in order to gain experience.

- I also agree with his assessment that young people will need to be willing to relocate to find a job, and that the period after graduation tends to be really difficult.

I actually made it to the end of the video; despite this guy being really unlikeable, most of the things he says in this video are accurate IMO.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
they don't care what you're capable of, and a fresh graduate from a non-elite school will likely have to take a job below his or her skillset in order to gain experience.
not sure I agree with you on this, or rather, I don't think they hire inexperienced grads out of elite schools either. difference being that people who attend elite schools also push themselves to get experiences while in college as well, so they already come out with some working knowledge of the field. Also the elite schools push their students to look for those kinds of experiences as well.

An equally motivated student at a non elite school does as well. Elite schools just pre-screen their students for those traits, so upon graduation, their students come out more ready for whatever they do

Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not sure I agree with you on this, or rather, I don't think they hire inexperienced grads out of elite schools either.
I don't know how you figure that. Everyone starts somewhere.

Obviously firms hire inexperienced grads out of elite and non-elite schools; otherwise nobody would ever get a job.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:08 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
america has gone to crap when not even STEM grads can find work. And there's no way around it

I'm all for relocating to other countries for employment if possible. Things are going get worse before they get better (that's IF they get better at all). Our elected officials have sold us down the river and we continue to be brain dead sheep and let it happen

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-26-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
america has gone to crap when not even STEM grads can find work. And there's no way around it

I'm all for relocating to other countries for employment if possible. Things are going get worse before they get better (that's IF they get better at all). Our elected officials have sold us down the river and we continue to be brain dead sheep and let it happen
If the economy here is so bad that Americans must relocate to other nations, we have hit rock bottom and need to hold politicians liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment