Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 AM

363 posts, read 433,473 times

Advertisements

Many times the salary is different depending on each state. I am curious if your company has a location in a smaller state where you work and a location in a bigger state with higher expenses. If you transfer to the bigger state, same company, same job nothing is changing. Would the salary be any different? This is not happening to me, just asking out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:01 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
I work for the Federal Government, and they will adjust your pay according to your locality. You may receive an increase or decrease if it is a lateral move depending upon the location. Many larger companies will do the same according to cost of living.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:35 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Usually you will get the move to a larger salary, but would not be demoted going the other direction.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:38 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
Many times the salary is different depending on each state. I am curious if your company has a location in a smaller state where you work and a location in a bigger state with higher expenses. If you transfer to the bigger state, same company, same job nothing is changing. Would the salary be any different? This is not happening to me, just asking out of curiosity.
In my experience, the size of the state does not come into play at all. It is the COL of that state, the size of the company in that state and the scope of the work being done there.

PA is a large state, but Google Pittsburgh pays less (generally speaking) than the Googleplex.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
In my experience, the size of the state does not come into play at all. It is the COL of that state, the size of the company in that state and the scope of the work being done there.
and refining this even more, the specific location matters as well. What I pay a project manager in Manhattan NY is far more than what I pay a project manager in Cortland NY. I use a salary plus location. This way everyone knows exactly what the salary is and can see what the COLA is for a specific location. So if they get Salary + 24% COLA, they know that if another location is Salary + 15% COLA or Salary + 31% COLA. The salary is always the same, the extra is for where they are located.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:50 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Usually you will get the move to a larger salary, but would not be demoted going the other direction.
Not always....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment