Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:19 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times

Advertisements

The problem isn't they can't, if they did they would be duplicating the action that the electronic cash register just did for them and you! Have you had an incident where the electronic cash register didn't subtract correctly? No. Why do you need the cashier to count and tediously do this action all over again? The cash register is able to deduct coupons, accept your payment and give the right number for the amount of change you are to receive. There is no need for the cashier to do this since the invention of the electronic cash register. There's a calculator built right in there

Many of us regularly go to the self check-out. There is no one to make small talk and accuse of not knowing how to add and subtract over there, no useless skill for a countdown of change, just put your money in and get a receipt, tahdah! Take your receipt home and re-calculate all you want, just keep the line moving, ok?

This all should have been written out in cursive on the appropriate floral stationary, but I find my laptop to be more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 06:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
The problem isn't they can't, if they did they would be duplicating the action that the electronic cash register just did for them and you! Have you had an incident where the electronic cash register didn't subtract correctly? No. Why do you need the cashier to count and tediously do this action all over again? The cash register is able to deduct coupons, accept your payment and give the right number for the amount of change you are to receive. There is no need for the cashier to do this since the invention of the electronic cash register. There's a calculator built right in there

Many of us regularly go to the self check-out. There is no one to make small talk and accuse of not knowing how to add and subtract over there, no useless skill for a countdown of change, just put your money in and get a receipt, tahdah! Take your receipt home and re-calculate all you want, just keep the line moving, ok?

This all should have been written out in cursive on the appropriate floral stationary, but I find my laptop to be more efficient.
There it is! ^^^^^^^^^^

There are legions of people on CD that have far too much time on their hands. Deliver meals on wheels or something. Read a book. Complaining about cashiers is not a noble effort. Any minute now I expect the same people will start with the annual complaining about holiday merchandise in stores, starting with the Halloween stuff. It makes them seem smart and superior, they think.

Now get off of my lawn you crazy oldsters!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:19 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There it is! ^^^^^^^^^^

There are legions of people on CD that have far too much time on their hands. Deliver meals on wheels or something. Read a book. Complaining about cashiers is not a noble effort. Any minute now I expect the same people will start with the annual complaining about holiday merchandise in stores, starting with the Halloween stuff. It makes them seem smart and superior, they think.

Now get off of my lawn you crazy oldsters!
Then don't come into my work place and call me every name in the book because you overdrew your checkbook. Because you A). Have never balanced it. B). Forgot to write your debit card purchase down C). Have never taken a service charge off or any of a hundred other reasons.

See... it is really easy to assume one is an "oldster" (which I am) but it all depends on your perspective as to who is complaining about cashiers. Try running a couple hundred thousand through a cash drawer someday without knowing how to count money and you'll see what I'm talking about......

Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
One day someone will give you change for a ten when you gave them a twenty and you'll understand.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:

Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
And that's not going to change (no pun intended). Cash registers tell them how much to give and if they can do that correctly, count your blessings.

These same people didn't learn how to do math problems (calculators) or write in cursive (not considered useful anymore in the age of computers). They don't know how to parallel park (not needed in parking lots), they have no idea how to write a check, they never used a TV that didn't have a remote, they've never seen a telephone with a dial, and they don't know how to use manual car locks. There are no doubt many other simple skills they lack.

The people who can't do those things are millennials. They were born in a different time period than people who expect to have their change counted back for them and they have no use for such a skill. In fact, they can often do things people who do know how to count change back can't do. They can deposit a check into the bank on their phone. They can remove malware from a computer. They can upload a video to the internet. The can get a job without ever meeting face to face with the person who hired them. They can ruin someone's career (or sometimes their own) on Snapchat. Meanwhile many boomers don't even know what Snapchat is.

Most boomers also don't know how to split logs, didn't walk five miles to school, didn't shovel coal into a coal cellar, didn't take in boarders during a depression, didn't have an outhouse at their home, etc., etc.

For better or worse, different skills are needed in different time periods.
You just described my 86 year old grandmother! She had no idea how to write a check when my grandfather died. She didn't even know what they looked like! She didn't even have an ID. Forget a driver's license. He was the man. It was responsibility to take care of the household. And yes she has to use a calculator when balancing her checkbook. Forget the driving thing...she tried it once....in a parking lot. My brother thought he was going to die at 3 mph.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:

Oh how I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE self checkout! One of the greatest things ever invented.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:42 AM

550 posts, read 637,943 times
Well, these can't count change people better not travel, go to a souk, flea market, open air food market, etc. Not every place in the world will have the cash register ready to tell you how much you owe and how much change you will get back. Not being able to count your own change will leave you looking like an easy mark in any of those places!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 AM

235 posts, read 248,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
One day someone will give you change for a ten when you gave them a twenty and you'll understand.
Mom got caught in that "You gave me a 10" racket by a middle-aged cashier of similar ethnicity, "her own kind." She learned to initial the 20 before using it to pay. Next time the same clerk tried it, Mom replied "Call the manager. My initials are on the 20." Immediately, the correct change. A local butcher tried the same, and he was the owner. She called his bluff, then never bought there again. I see the problem as folks in their 50's judging elders as Not With It.
---
Obviously, this was in a neighborhood where people walked to stores for daily shopping and often dealt with the same merchants or clerks.

Last edited by Joe63; 08-04-2016 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: I added a sentence about walkable neighborhood.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:36 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Just the other day we took the kids out for ice cream. The total came to $16.35 and the kid behind the counter said, "here's $13.65 back." My husband was putting the change in his wallet, and I said, wait, didn't you give him a twenty?" Hubby immediately realized the mistake and the kid just stood there looking at us, then was shocked when my husband handed him back the extra ten and said "looks like you hit the wrong key!"

Machines are not the problem; human error is. That's why counting back change is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment