Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:58 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times

Advertisements

No, I don't want to start a business. I would like to move far away from society, and widdle chess sets, make furniture, or perhaps do sculpture and model making work. I can take raw materials from nature and make useful things, so I don't think I will ever starve. I could also farm and grow my own produce.

I like to work. But work is getting really stupid. Raises don't help anymore. They should probably be training other people, but other people won't do my job. And I definitely don't want another career, a welfare check or a handout. I want to cash my chips in and get out of the rat race, for good!

What else is out there for people who like to work with their hands and brain, and also like lots of money, or really cheap cost of living parts of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:07 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,422 times
I don't think you mean "widdle." You probably mean "whittle." Or maybe not.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:30 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You are correct.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Tantrum?? On a nice Friday evening. You know what your options are. Deal. Decide.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post

it depends on how sharp the knife is

Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times
I've come to the same conclusion, though may be a children's author. I've applied to many hundreds of jobs over the past three years since graduating and have only about a handful of interviews and no jobs. (And having Aspergers and ADHD and no drivers license, no previous work experience since the paper route in Jr. High, and living in a rural area where they mainly seem to hire trick drivers, customer service, and nursing doesn't help either.)

Old 05-28-2016, 05:05 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No, I don't want to start a business. I would like to move far away from society, and widdle chess sets, make furniture, or perhaps do sculpture and model making work. I can take raw materials from nature and make useful things, so I don't think I will ever starve. I could also farm and grow my own produce.

I like to work. But work is getting really stupid. Raises don't help anymore. They should probably be training other people, but other people won't do my job. And I definitely don't want another career, a welfare check or a handout. I want to cash my chips in and get out of the rat race, for good!

What else is out there for people who like to work with their hands and brain, and also like lots of money, or really cheap cost of living parts of the world?
I dont blame you. Esp in crowded cities life can be stressful. No sense of community, many seem glued to a smartphone or self absorbed, and the working world and often day to day living is a challange with wage stagnation and hard work not being enough. Many problems, not enough solutions. I work in a large city and avoid it as much as possible when im not at work. The peace and quiet in my quiet neighborhood provides a refuge at least.

Maybe move to a small town, you can become a carpenter or work in building homes. You can get a farm too and become self sufficient as well. There may be a happy medium also where you can live remote and work in a nearby smaller city. The country ( If you are in the United States) is huge and options like this exist. The taking the plunge part is often the most difficult.

You are not alone in feeling like you do. I hope you find your way. You have been in this board a long time and are clearly intelligent enough to do many things. Keep us posted, please!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:56 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So go do it. What is stopping you? Nothing is forcing you to work in your current position. You are still there because its comfortable, and you don't want to take any risks. If your not happy with your current position, change it.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:03 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,756 times
save your money, go buy a plot of land. America was built upon that ideal.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:09 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
it depends on how sharp the knife is
Or how big the knife is...or if you are Elmer Fudd...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment