Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 02:09 PM

35 posts, read 38,963 times

Advertisements

I have been out of work for 5-6 weeks now, after leaving a job that was very corrupt and put me through h*ll and back for six months. I was only staying for the health benefits, but when they decided to cut me to part-time without any notice, I left them.

Since day 1 of unemployment, I have been applying for job after job. I qualify (and over-qualify) for all of them, yet I continue to get the "despite your experience" emails. It's a bit discouraging. But the other day I thought to myself: alright, maybe I'm being too picky. Only applying for full-time jobs and requesting a pay of $15+/hour, perhaps looking elsewhere will benefit me. There's always the chance to move up.

Then yesterday I saw an ad for a children's retail store in search of sales associates and a part-time supervisor. Alright, right after high school I worked in a couple of department stores and got placed in the children's/infants department in both. I loved helping parents and grandparents find suitable items for their children, taking charge of the visuals in the department, etc. While not fond of retail hours and holiday crowds, I did enjoy the fast-paced nature of those jobs compared to my most recent two (office administrative/desk) jobs.

Anyways, they called me today and want to interview me next week. I'm pretty confident, considering my background in retail sales and acting as an assistant manager at a hotel. I also have a Bachelors degree. My concern is: this just isn't what I had hoped for at this point in my life. The average pay at this job is $9-11/hour, depending on the position. There's also no benefits unless you're full-time.

As of right now, I have enough in savings that I could do without a job for another three months, but it's not preferred. I don't like being out of employment. At the same time, I don't particularly like the thought of doing the same work for the same pay I was getting right out of high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 02:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
It depends on how much I need the money. I have worked jobs below my training because the hours fit with what I needed at the time, and I needed money (working as a nighttime grocery store clerk/service desk while staying home with my kids and being in possession of a masters degree). I think if you can continue job searching for a job with a better fit while making some money at this job (and not being miserable), it might not be a bad idea at all.

I would probably take the job. My husband would not. This is why we are seriously in debt at this point

Old 04-08-2017, 02:25 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
I would take a lower level job before going into debt, that's for sure.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post
I have been out of work for 5-6 weeks now, after leaving a job that was very corrupt and put me through h*ll and back for six months. I was only staying for the health benefits, but when they decided to cut me to part-time without any notice, I left them.

Since day 1 of unemployment, I have been applying for job after job. I qualify (and over-qualify) for all of them, yet I continue to get the "despite your experience" emails. It's a bit discouraging. But the other day I thought to myself: alright, maybe I'm being too picky. Only applying for full-time jobs and requesting a pay of $15+/hour, perhaps looking elsewhere will benefit me. There's always the chance to move up.

Then yesterday I saw an ad for a children's retail store in search of sales associates and a part-time supervisor. Alright, right after high school I worked in a couple of department stores and got placed in the children's/infants department in both. I loved helping parents and grandparents find suitable items for their children, taking charge of the visuals in the department, etc. While not fond of retail hours and holiday crowds, I did enjoy the fast-paced nature of those jobs compared to my most recent two (office administrative/desk) jobs.

Anyways, they called me today and want to interview me next week. I'm pretty confident, considering my background in retail sales and acting as an assistant manager at a hotel. I also have a Bachelors degree. My concern is: this just isn't what I had hoped for at this point in my life. The average pay at this job is $9-11/hour, depending on the position. There's also no benefits unless you're full-time.

As of right now, I have enough in savings that I could do without a job for another three months, but it's not preferred. I don't like being out of employment. At the same time, I don't particularly like the thought of doing the same work for the same pay I was getting right out of high school.
I would say to take the job if it is enough to pay bills and not eat into your savings. 3 months goes by fast. The break after a rough six months at that other place will be refreshing and energize you, especially if its work you enjoy. You can still seek something better even with the retail job. One advantage is the schedule if you get a weekday off; Interviews will be easy to go on if you have the day free.

Im in a office job that had great hours but doesn't pay a lot. Im looking now and the traditional office schedule makes it harder to interview. I was in the hotel business myself for many years by the way. Gained a lot of experience. Hope to use it in a better job myself. Best of luck to you with things and keep at it. Keep the momentum going.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times
If I was that hard up I would put my skills to use and start my own company.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 PM

894 posts, read 587,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I would take a lower level job before going into debt, that's for sure.
Very recently, I took a job as a cashier at a local buffet restaurant. It's completely NOT what I went to college for obviously but sometimes sadly, we gotta temporarily settle on crap jobs to avoid debt and to avoid being totally broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment