Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 01:36 AM

6 posts, read 3,679 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm 25 years old, and I graduated with a BA in education two years ago in order to be a teacher. I had worked in classrooms and decided this is what I wanted to do in my freshman year. As I got ready to graduate, I started questioning this decision, but just went with it since I was basically about to graduate. I enrolled in my student teaching and absolutely hated it. I had many issues in my program, and decided to drop out after 3 months so I wasn't throwing all my money away. I took a lot of time working a desk job to decide if I wanted to try another program, or just find something different. I decided that I have no desire to teach in the public school system ( I'm in California), and after talking with several friends who are teaching, I stand by this decision. So, now, I'm trying to figure out what I should do. I considered being an academic advisor at the university level, however, most of them require a masters and the pay is quite low.

I have a lot of interests. I love nature, animals, environmental sciences, history, nutrition, and I do still like working with older students in an educational setting.

Some of the top career changes that have come to mind: geologist, registered dietician, academic advisor, speech pathologist, and school counselor.

Problems that come to mind:

Geologist: I would essentially have to go back to school for two or more years. I'm not strong in mathematics, and I would like to be able to live and work in the same area. I've heard most geologists travel more than they are home.

Registered dietician: I would have to go back to school. Internships are extremely competitive and does not allow students to work for a year. I also have different views on nutrition than the government promotes, and I would have a hard time feeding people crappy food if I worked in a school or hospital.

Academic advisor: requires a masters and pay is quite low.

Speech pathologist: I don't have much of an interest?

School counselor: seems like I would encounter similar issues as I would teaching. Would also have to go back to school for a credential.

With that said, I am open to going back to school. I just really want to be sure so I'm not going into more debt. I'm still paying off 15k, and intend to have it paid off by the time I decide to go back (if I do).

If anyone has any tips, I would be grateful! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment