Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:45 PM

181 posts, read 449,625 times

Advertisements

This is all new to us and do know that he needs to make quarterly estimated tax payments. No Federal, state, S.S. or Medicare is withheld. Should he see a CPA, H&R Block, etc.? It's an excavating company in IL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 06:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Very simple -- Saving for Taxes if You Are Self Employed | FinanceGeek.com

Independent Contractor Defined -- IRS.gov

Old 09-16-2016, 06:18 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
This is all new to us and do know that he needs to make quarterly estimated tax payments. No Federal, state, S.S. or Medicare is withheld. Should he see a CPA, H&R Block, etc.? It's an excavating company in IL.
I seriously doubt your son can be classified as an independent contractor working for an excavating company. If he OWNS the excavating company then he would be. If he does work where and when the excavating company tells him to using that companies equipment he is an employee.

Appendix D - IRS Independent Contractor Test

Old 09-16-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I seriously doubt your son can be classified as an independent contractor working for an excavating company. If he OWNS the excavating company then he would be. If he does work where and when the excavating company tells him to using that companies equipment he is an employee.

Appendix D - IRS Independent Contractor Test
I thought the same thing but this place has been doing this since 1981. I don't think my son is going to rock the boat. He may realize eventually he doesn't want to work this way, who knows. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:39 PM

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
If the employer is misclassifying your son (and probably is to evade payroll taxes) he needs to file form ss-8 and still make the payments. however, when he files his taxes he should put this should have been w2 and he filed ss8.

We have had quite a few threads on this.
Misclassification as Independent Contractor / Form SS-8
Should I file SS-8 form since my job misslabeled me my status
Has anyone filed an SS-8 Determination of Worker Status?
Misclassified independent contractor -- the norm in Houston
I got filed as an independent contractor
Issues With My Previous Employer

Old 09-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If the employer is misclassifying your son (and probably is to evade payroll taxes) he needs to file form ss-8 and still make the payments. however, when he files his taxes he should put this should have been w2 and he filed ss8.

We have had quite a few threads on this.
Misclassification as Independent Contractor / Form SS-8
Should I file SS-8 form since my job misslabeled me my status
Has anyone filed an SS-8 Determination of Worker Status?
Misclassified independent contractor -- the norm in Houston
I got filed as an independent contractor
Issues With My Previous Employer
Holy cow, what a mess. He needs to get a job as a regular employee LOL. He also talked about setting up a LLC? He can go see an accontant about all this, it's beyond my knoweldge.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Is the pay worth the hassle? Might be a good idea to just find another job especially if he isn't going to stay there long term. You can pull up some you tubes on how to do it but it's best to seek out a tax professional.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
Holy cow, what a mess. He needs to get a job as a regular employee LOL. He also talked about setting up a LLC? He can go see an accontant about all this, it's beyond my knoweldge.
It is really not a mess. I own my own business so I am an independent contractor by definition; I pay four quarterly estimated payments (including one very large one yesterday, you're welcome Uncle Sam); and I file my taxes myself. It takes me a few hours, mostly printing and copying, not calculating. The estimated payment form comes with a worksheet for you to figure the amount to pay so you do not have a big bill or a big refund at the end of the year.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:58 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I had to pay estimated taxes as well at my last crapo job that misclassified my to evade payroll taxes. The IRS tore them a new one but it took 3 years to get a determination and by then I had moved on. It wasn't too hard. There is a calculator for the payments and the IRS has a webesite as well as the state. I filed from ss-8. When I filed my taxes at the end of the year I used Taxact or Turbotax and put in the 1099-misc, selected this should have been reported w-2, I have files ss-8 and not gotten a response.

There is a list of 21 criteria in one of the threads I linked. That will tell you if your son in misclassified.

I agree though if this is a min wage job it isn't worth the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment