Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I doubt you can be for real, but for someone who really doesn't get this.

If you put money in your savings account every month, does that mean you made less money?

A 401K is a savings account. If your employer contributes, that is extra money they put in your savings account. For free. That is not taxed.

401(k)s For Dummies Cheat Sheet - dummies

Good luck.
Where is the contribution coming that will be matched?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 12:03 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,855,937 times
My employers have a 401k but do not match.

What is the purpose.......

Maybe try a Roth IRA

Old 09-28-2016, 12:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
OP: Do you have all of the information regarding the terms and details of the 401K program?
If not then ask for all of the information, read it and ask questions about any part that you do not understand.
Then make a better informed decision in regards to joining the 401K program.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:34 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,719,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
But my money is still lower after taxes right due to the 401K contribution?
Your comments seem a little strange to my eyes. I just want to check: You do know I hope that that contribution is to YOUR 401(k) account. It's your money, set aside to help you pay your own way and secure your own future after you can no longer work. Correct?

Old 09-28-2016, 03:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 898,440 times
Quote:
Just seeing if anyone has a job where their employer offers low salaries but want to make your check even lower
The 401K is for YOU. If I were you, I would look for ways to be frugal and to take advantage of the 401K. Also it is good for your tax situation, and it is an investment in your retirement. I scrimped by for decades in order to build up a nice retirement nest egg, which I still have not touched.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,052,469 times
I know so many people in their 40s, 50s and 60s who never took advantage of their company's retirement program and are now scrambling to save money for 'retirement'...what retirement I ask??? They can't afford to retire because they didn't plan ahead and will be those who end up low income senior housing and eating cat food. No thanks..I'll continue to put my money away and watch it grow for my future.

OP: Start small...put in the minimum amount required and set it up so all your raises go right to your 401k or in my case 403b. It's all pre tax and grows quickly....you'd be a fool and then some not to sign up.

But, don't put all eggs (money) in one basket....talk to a good financial planner and diversify your investments.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 AM

158 posts, read 99,081 times
Op says he barely gets by on what he makes now. IMO any money left each month would be better put into a savings acct for a rainy day. Otherwise if an emergency comes up, you are stuck waiting 2 weeks to get the withdrawl and get hit hard with the penalty. I knew a guy I worked with who though he was being smart by contributing the max 15% at this particular low wage job. An emergency came up and he had to wait 2 weeks to get that money and then pay a big penalty on it.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My employers have a 401k but do not match.

What is the purpose.......

Maybe try a Roth IRA
I am in government and we have the mandatory pension/investment plan contribution and then an optional deferred comp (pre-tax) with no match. Since our pay is so low, it seems silly to put into that. I know of one person who took it all out in a lump sum when she retired and it was a significant amount that put her into a pretty high tax bracket. It would have been smarter to invest it into a Roth IRA and have it tax free! The only problem is that you have to be smarter about putting it into savings while you wait to put it into the Roth each year.

Still if you have a 401k with matching, it is best to put in what you can (instead of nothing). Usually a company won't match all that much even though it might max out at higher, so if a person can put in at least the minimum, that is something. The OP is not even wanting to participate, which is silly. He can put the minimum in now to have SOMETHING and then put in more later when he has more money. It seems like he is getting raises each year and the minimum contribution shouldn't be that much.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,448,982 times
You really need to go over your budget and find a way to set aside at least 5% into a 401k really 10-15% is ideal. Otherwise you are going to spend retirement either working or in poverty and not taking the match is throwing money away.

I put 15% with a 4.5% match and am considering more. I live very frugally because I don't ever want to be desperate enough to have to humor temp agencies again or play race to the bottom with crapo companies in my profession.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:05 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,293,575 times
Quote:
I signed up for 401K years ago at one of my jobs because I was making more money and didn't miss it at all. But now with them not offering higher salaries there is no way I want my check to be ever lower after taxes than it already is which is why I declined. I would need a huge raise to even consider something like this because there is already too much coming out of the check as it is now.

Now my salary has increased closed to $3000 more a year due to COLA raises since 2014 but I just feel it's not enough at this time. And I thought 401K was something optional that was beneficial so why is my employer being so aggressive in getting people to sign up?
We need to clear up some misconceptions you have about the 401(k) and retirement.

Your 401(k) is your retirement. It is YOUR money being contributed to those accounts which you can begin to withdrawal without a tax penalty starting at age 59 1/2.

The most your contribute and as early as possible pays you the biggest return on investment. If you are going to delay contributing to your 401(k) waiting for that future big raise, it will never come, because you will have a lifestyle to consume whatever your take home pay is.

This is what you need to do. Tell us your gross salary. What kind of expenses do you have for rent/mortgage, etc. Are you married, do you have children or anyone else to support? Then we can better advise you what you should be doing. At the very least you should be contributing money to take advantage of the employer's matching funds, because that's free money for you.

Why is the company encouraging you to contribute? Because the people at the top, the highly compensated people in the same 401(k) plan can get their contributions reduced because enough people as a whole for your company aren't contributing to it. The max is $18K a year and if over age 50, it is $24K a year. Top executives trying to put in $24K year might get several thousands dollars a year returned to them from the plan because the plan numbers show not everyone is contributing. That answers your question, but there is nothing sinister about you saving for your retirement.

A 401(k) reduces your income. It isn't a tax deduction. To make the numbers simple, if you were grossing $100K a year, and contributed $18K to your 401(k) plan, your taxable gross would be lowered to $82K. At $82K you are paying less in taxes, because your gross has been reduced. All you are doing to deferring your compensation into your 401(k) retirement account.

You can do an IRA which has a limit of $5k a year, and if over age 50 $6500 a year. This reduces your federal tax bill. Same thing as the 401(k), in that it goes into account that is yours and can take it out without tax penalty at age 59 1/2. Just like the 401(k), you have to pay tax on the money when you withdraw it.

There is also a ROTH IRA which is different from an IRA. A ROTH IRA doesn't allow you to take a tax deduction for the money you put in there, but when you take the money out later for retirement you don't pay any tax on it.

To speak frankly about this, it would be major stupid not to contribute to a 401(k), IRA or ROTH IRA. The sooner the better. There are people who wait until they are in their 40s thinking they can start saving for retirement and it is near impossible for them.

You should look into getting the book The Automatic Millionaire. One of the important concepts it has in there, is that it explains how to decide how you want to retire to determine what percentage of your current income needs to be invested in retirement. The best thing to do, is set the goal by having it done automatically and then learn to live on what is left over, doing that first before simply saying it can't be done and never saving a good portion for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment