Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncetime View Post
I was just wondering has anyone ever turned down a job offer that paid well, but you knew it wasn't what you liked and accepted a job with less pay but is something you enjoy doing?
Done it multiple times. Never regretted it.

I can't say that about changing jobs to make more money. That I have regretted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 06:23 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
No , because I noticed long ago that any pursuits or interests you may have lose their attractivity once they are not hobbies anymore but become grinding work you are dependent on to make a living. Too many people mix up work and fun. I wonder how much fun a pilot who initially loved flying can still have after 20 years of commercial flying. I believe not that much anymore.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:59 AM

215 posts, read 283,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Now that's ... balls.

What did you do before and what do you do now?
Chicago, Freelance Video Engineer. Moved to an Iowa University TV facility.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:36 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times
It was tough going backward in pay, but it was a career change and wound up loving it. I have done it and it ended up being the best decision ever.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:25 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
If you've kept your costs under control over the years, it's not a hard thing to do. My household has never ever had 1%'er type income. perhaps we could consider ourselves middle of the road, but even that is debatable. Giving up that higher income at the financial factory we work at wouldn't be a hard consideration, and I've already supplemented a lot of income with my other life, as a film and TV actor. Would love to move that to my only income, but I started late in life (mid 30's), so not sure I'll ever be able to do that.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
think nearly everyone who works at the fed feel this at some point, where they wonder how life would turn out if they took the higher paying job that was outside, then look back and decide they kind of like the job they already have and make do with it.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Yes

Mostly because I want to keep stable day hours

Old 10-14-2016, 09:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
All day long. You only live once. You really want to spend most of your waking hours doing something you hate so you can watch a bigger screen in a bigger house for an hour a night?

Old 10-14-2016, 12:16 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncetime View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering has anyone ever turned down a job offer that paid well, but you knew it wasn't what you liked and accepted a job with less pay but is something you enjoy doing?

I am kind of in that situation right now and just wondering what others takes are. Basically got a job offer for a job that I don't see myself enjoying but pays well, but feel that I should do something I like and work my way up.

Thanks
Yep, from a semi-low wage job and replaced it with a min wage job.

But:

Get a solid 40 hrs a week (Got anywhere from 28-40 hrs at the other one)

Base medical paid for (I'll take it later this year as a backup)

Vacation pay, sick pay and paid holidays off. (Never got that with the other one)

401K (6% match at 5 years)

Employee recognition, birthdays (There goes the diet again!) and knowing what's about to hit the market and if it's worth buying.

Have a medical condition which benefits from this job/work so this was a GREAT choice and a wise one as well.

So, in my case it was more due to medical than anything else....

Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Your relative compensation will be driven by the market. The less enjoyable the job (harder, stressful or long hours) usually pays the most. That's why moving your way up and taking more responsibilities pays more. You are doing your job and also managing (teaching?) others to do the same thing. That's a generality I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment