Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:51 AM

7 posts, read 8,822 times

Advertisements

Hello,

New to forum. I recently started a position and quit because I was not informed that heights were part of the job. I have a fear of them and therefore could not perform on the job. Also, the only reason I took the position was because I wanted to be a driver. It was communicated to me that we would be crossed trained for warehouse work which I was fine with but after I started I learned that they were bringing drivers from other locations and we would be full time warehouse employees. I did not agree to that. I left a job that payed more for a job I would enjoy (driving) but it wasn't so.

So, can I sue that company for a misinforming job description and interview? Would it be hard to prove? I would be looking for at least the difference in salaries between that job and the previous one (about 13k)

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 08:55 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
What exactly did your job offer state? Only driving?

Old 10-13-2016, 09:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Ask a lawyer. I don't think you have a chance. At best you might be able to collect unemployment (if you are unemployed) on the basis that you left with good cause because you were assigned duties materially different than stated. You might also check if they are in compliance with OSHA requirements if you are having to work at height.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 8,822 times
I would have to pull up the job description (they have since re-posted the position but this time just for warehouse work, no driving mentioned). During the interview it was stated that we would be cross trained for the warehouse work, but our main purpose would be driving. I not only left a better position but I waited a month and half to start this position. During that time they must have changed plans without checking in with us new hires. I would say that they complied with OHSA well.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:43 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
If you don't like the job you have find another. There is no basis for a suit.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timefish576 View Post
I would have to pull up the job description (they have since re-posted the position but this time just for warehouse work, no driving mentioned).
The description is not what matters. What does matter is what your job offer stated, what you legally agreed to.

The two can vary....

I see no basis for a lawsuit.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:14 AM

206 posts, read 154,349 times
Ask a lawyer, if you can sue, do it. And welcome to the forums, be aware, there a lot of nay sayers who will make it seem like you have no case/are whining/ that its not the economies fault and its yours, so be aware.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Keep in mind that evidence is what you can prove not what you know. Unless you have a recording of the interview, you can't prove anything they told you.

Job offers are usually not a guarantee of specific job duties. Your job duties are generally any reasonable duty the company deems necessary in that position. No interview or job offer could possibly list every single job duty you will or will not have. If you are hired for a warehouse job it might be unreasonable for them to task you with making sales calls or fixing the electrical system but anything that is generally related to working in a warehouse is fair game. If a warehouse has 20' high shelves then climbing a ladder (in accordance to OSHA standards) and stocking something is perfectly reasonable, regardless of whether that was specifically mentioned in an interview.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:36 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
You need an employment rights lawyer to give you a definitive answer but I don't see any basis for a suit based on what you've posted. If it were me, I wouldn't waste my time or money pursuing it.

It's not uncommon for job descriptions to change even after you've been hired and employed for a couple of years. Companies are constantly reevaluating their needs.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 AM

123 posts, read 103,905 times
Our country is way too lawsuit happy. No, you don't have a case. We've all been lied to in job descriptions. Now is the time to put your big girl panties on and either tough it out or quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment