Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:44 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times

Advertisements

Not in my position. I've worked casual jobs and job hopped my entire life, the search is on for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 03:50 PM

417 posts, read 345,707 times
My dad has been a mechanic for 35 years, he loves it. The penison helps too. He was always asked if he wanted to become a manager, Although the pay was better he always wanted to work with his hands and not be chained to an office. My husband now is the same way, although he obviously moved up ranks he has been in the Military for 22 years, he went from E-1 to now being an officer and making way more money and getting to retire at the ripe old age of 39 if he'd like.
Now for myself I would love to stay at my job until I can retire I have been here for 5 years so not very long. It be very hard for me to find such a good job again and I am very satified.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i been with my company 32 years at the same level. why do you have to be promoted every couple years, when someone get promoted that means they are taking the job of someone that got fired or left the company. Is my job a career, no. it just a job with a paycheck. and now adays that saying a lot. Yes i get biredbut the company itself is not that bad. and it no where near minimum wage

Old 10-21-2016, 06:19 PM

53 posts, read 48,372 times
I know it's possible, because that describes half of the people I work with. I think the average tenure for someone in our department is almost 20 years.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Contingent on the profession.

I have .005% faith in any company or small business spouting job security. It's about as common as finding an honest thief.

I recall going to a business2business meeting and ppl cheered at this one gent for having 8 years tenure at this company...it was almost laughable... til someone said...5 years is the average...

Now mind you a guy friend has been a fire chief for over 20 years... he deserves to be praised for his community efforts and how he saved lives...

Old 10-22-2016, 01:21 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechi53 View Post
The only place where i see this anymore is at Auto Manufacturers or Airlines
I'm sure there's more. You can add steel mills and electric generation plants.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:36 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
This is my first job since leaving university 18 months ago. Fortunately it's in my chosen career and am cnrrently enjoying every moment.

So given I have only been in this job for just over 15 months I can't really comment if I will still by around in 10 or 20+ years time with this company. However, some of my work colleagues have been around almost twice that, most of them more or less holding the same positions as they did when they started!

I guess for some people, they're happy with their lot: the money is steady, the job is sufficiently challenging and they like the people they work with. As such they become contented with the status-quo for years on end. And that's fine!

However, for myself, I am keen to learn new things and challenges. I don't want to be chasing management-related promotions because that would take me away from the "front line" so-to-speak. But given the present setup here I could certainly see myself with 5 or 6 more years under my belt. But beyond that I would want fresh horizions elsewhere but within the same IT industry.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:01 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I can only speak of engineering, where it's expected you will move around between companies. If you get the notion to stay you will get laid off, or the company will go out of business. Exception being government agencies.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Being loyal and faithful to the same company.
As my job has been my first and ONLY job out of college.
Can you possibly be at the same job in the same company for lets say
10 years , 20 years, 40 years, 60 years?
In other words being a lifer?
Or is this something thats more common back in the 90's?
You CAN. Whether you SHOULD is another matter. It's not that common, any more

Every now and then, it's beneficial to change jobs because of the increased pay or benefits. At some point, employees may not be getting raises that keep their salaries current with the market.

Timing matters, though. Once you're somewhere 20 years, an employee stands to lose a lot in benefits by changing. So changing before those big benefits kick in, and when you're younger, makes more sense.

Don't think that being "loyal and faithful" is going to get you anywhere. If your employer can make some money by getting rid of you, it will. Your employment is a business arrangement. You stay as long as it's beneficial financially to you, and vice versa.

It's also harder to change and go to work somewhere new, if a person has been working for the same employer for decades. It's extremely traumatic, and employers know that, so will be hesitant to hire you (if you're laid off). If you've only worked ONE place, it's even harder.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:28 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
I worked for three different companies in a five-year period and sat at the same desk the whole five years. After a while we started joking every morning, "Who is it that we are working for today?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment