Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:22 PM

472 posts, read 438,450 times

Advertisements

I currently work doing a job where I process incoming e-faxes and information sent to our department via email. This is your average office desk job using a computer. Well, my employer has recently made me train doing the job of the office supply person (who is out often for chemotherapy) ordering supplies, restocking the printers with paper and ink, etc.

I was hired with the understanding that I would be doing the paperwork processing job, not a job I find menial, boring, and demeaning and is basically physical labor (loading 40 boxes of printer paper is definitely physical). I have been getting my processing work done way more efficiently than my coworkers, leaving me with some downtime and I feel like I'm being punished for being more efficient. I am fairly easily overwhelmed and the combination of doing the office supply stuff along with my initial job duties is definitely on its way to overwhelming me (I am on the Autistic spectrum and exhibit OCD traits).

Is there anything I can do? Can I reasonably tell them I do not want to do the office supply stuff? Should I get some sort of doctor's note regarding my diagnosis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
If you don't want the job, find one that suits you better. Employers can have you do what ever they want.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Well, my employer has recently made me train doing the job of the office supply person (who is out often for chemotherapy) ordering supplies, restocking the printers with paper and ink, etc.

I was hired with the understanding that I would be doing the paperwork processing job, not a job I find menial, boring, and demeaning and is basically physical labor (loading 40 boxes of printer paper is definitely physical).
Seriously?
You cannot suck it up and cover for a coworker undergoing chemotherapy?

Check your contract. I am fairly certain that it includes the phrase "and other duties as assigned".
If you don't like the duties you are assigned at this job, find a new one.

Is this the same job you posted about 2 months ago.... scared that they were about to fire you?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Seriously?
You cannot suck it up and cover for a coworker undergoing chemotherapy?

Check your contract. I am fairly certain that it includes the phrase "and other duties as assigned".

If you don't like the duties you are assigned at this job, find a new one.
Well, I have a heart condition that limits my ability to do physical labor. I wouldn't have taken the job had I known it would eventually put me at risk.

Yeah, it's the same job. At this point, I wish they'd lay me off so I can collect UI while looking for something else. Can't quit because then I wouldn't have UI/income coming in. Haven't been happy with it for a while now but finding another job is easier said than done. Ideally, I'd want a job where my coworkers are more around my age (30). Most everyone at my current job are much older, meaning it takes an already difficult thing (making friends/meeting people) for someone with Asperger's and basically makes it impossible because we have nothing in common and obviously aren't at the same stage in life (they're getting close to retirement, I probably have at least 30 years of working left assuming I don't have a heart attack or kill myself before then).

Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Anyone bring the cheese?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
If you are a person with a disability who can do the job with reasonable accommodation then ask for the accommodation. Be prepared to have a physician's statement of your disability.

An employer can change your duties at any time. Sorry, your social needs are not your employers concerns.

Will Limburger cheese be appropriate?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If you are a person with a disability who can do the job with reasonable accommodation then ask for the accommodation. Be prepared to have a physician's statement of your disability.

An employer can change your duties at any time. Sorry, your social needs are not your employers concerns.

Will Limburger cheese be appropriate?
I guess quitting or a bullet are the only options...

Old 10-24-2016, 08:52 PM

Are you a quitter??? Get a grip and find a job that suits you.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Are you a quitter??? Get a grip and find a job that suits you.
Great advice...

Trying to get them to fire me could work. Has before. Got UI every time too.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 PM

A string of discharges on your resume will make your job search more difficult. Look while you still have job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment