Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times

Advertisements

I was a teenager working in a telemarketing call center - we called doctors and tried to get them to take our phone surveys. It was a first job for a ton of teenagers in my city. This one guy asked me out, and he was the guy everyone wanted to date - I don't remember who I told, but I guess there was a no fraternization rule because we were both promptly fired.

He cancelled the date over it so no job and no date! Nobody ever wanted to do those surveys, anyway. Found a new boyfriend after that :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
I worked in an industry where I could not be terminated without very very serious cause. This is what unions are for, despite the corporate bull cr@p that unions are bad for the worker. I had a union.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I worked in an industry where I could not be terminated without very very serious cause. This is what unions are for, despite the corporate bull cr@p that unions are bad for the worker. I had a union.
They're good only as long as the member is more important that the contract with the company. Not the case with the Teamsters as evidenced by Post# 20. The union rep flat out told me they couldn't afford to lose the contract at that time so bye-bye, back to the hall to wait...

Old 11-07-2016, 08:55 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I got fired when I was 21 because I gave 2 weeks notice. I guess the boss took it personally.
This almost happened to me! I was working at Radioshack as a sales associate for 2.5 years and when I put in my two weeks I thought all was well. I came in the next shift and the assistant manager told me that the manager wanted to not schedule me at all because he was mad I was quitting. She said I told him I would stay through the end of summer.

I was completely blind sided since I thought the store manager and I got along great and guess what?! It's a near minimum wage job! People WILL quit! Never understood why he wasn't somewhat "happy" for me to move onto bigger things...

Old 11-07-2016, 09:58 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Just as I suspected, most people here aren't going to admit they've been fired from a job. But they have been.....

Old 11-07-2016, 10:05 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Just as I suspected, most people here aren't going to admit they've been fired from a job. But they have been.....

Yeah, I think that too. I'll admit it though:

One time at a major hotel chain---sleeping with a guest

Another time: "You make TOO MUCH money!" Jealous much?

Old 11-07-2016, 10:06 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Strange footnote to this. In early 2008 I went to another temp agency and they tired to get me to go back to that warehouse. When I told them the story the woman at the desk excused herself and went to another room but when she came back she told me someone was on the phone wanting to speak to me..it was an attorney. The attorney wanted me to say on paper that I was fired because of the teddy bear bumper sticker that was on the back of my truck and fax them the information. I told them to forget it.
Although I can see it happening that someone would get upset about a bumper sticker, no attorney would take on the case of a temp who was fired for this reason. Employment in almost all states (if you live in the US) is "at will" meaning you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, unless it's discrimination. And it is very hard to prove discrimination. And even if you could, you were a temp and temps have no legal protection in any temporary job because they are considered an employee of the temp agency, not the business they work at. And a temp agency would Never put their client at risk by getting an attorney to sue their client. If they did sue a client, they'd be out of business fairly soon because no other companies would want to work with them anymore. I'm not saying the story is totally made up but it just seems some aspects of it....are you sure about all this??

Old 11-07-2016, 10:32 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
I had a job at the computer help desk in college. During final exams, I chose not to sign up for any hours. Since not every time block was taken, they then decided that everybody had to sign up for hours during final exams. However, the hours that were available all conflicted with my exams. None of my professors would offer a makeup (rightfully so, under the school rules, since, whether fair or not, work was not considered a valid reason for a makeup final). So I had to choose between getting fired from the job or getting a 0 on the final. I chose to get fired from the job.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:20 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I didn't get fired, but it was clear to me that I had to quit or be fired:

I was working at Friendly's as an ice cream scooper. They had something like 5 different colored ice cream scoops that were all different sizes. A Jim Dandy could be something like 5 scoops total (2 red and 3 green) and customers picked the flavors and toppings.

Speaking of which, there were rules about toppings. Dark over light (choc over vanilla), light over dark, and there was also a rule about fruit sauces. But the customer could switch that up, too.

I lasted 3 days.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,743 times
browsing the internet for most of the day even though I was able to do my job at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment