Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:29 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Seriously? WTF is a "mental health" day ? I admit it's been a long time since I worked for someone else, but has it really gotten that soft inside companies? All the bosses I ever worked for would have called it a "quit 'yer cryin' and get your a$$ to work" day.
Nonsense. If someone isn't up to coming to work, call in sick. It doesn't need to be a broken leg, if someone doesn't feel they can come into work to do the job properly then they should take the day off as a sick day. Any company that is going to fall to pieces because one co-worker missed work once every four years because of an election upset doesn't have a properly run company. Like everything else, it is subject to the company policy of says you can take off as sick. These are your benefits, and you'd be a fool not to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,421 times
Yesssss.....so true...... I would rather someone go home and have a mental break and come back the next day refresh remember Mental Health is on the decline as far as treatment. Let people go home and then get it out their system come back the next day and be productive =CamillaB;46149096]We actually have medication to give men boners they don't need but we're not allowed to take a day off for our own psychological well being? Health priorities.[/quote]

Old 11-12-2016, 12:22 AM

753 posts, read 1,105,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I find it interesting that people consider Trump supporters uneducated.
It's not just people "considering" that Trump supporters are relatively less educated, there's a well-documented statistical correlation. Just to give a few news links found from Google:

Education Level Emerges as Sharp Dividing Line in Clinton-Trump Race - Bloomberg Politics
Trump overwhelmingly leads rivals in support from less educated Americans | PBS NewsHour
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ans-heres-why/
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...p-can-win.html

This isn't to say that people voted for Trump *because* they were less educated. For example, it might be that people voted for Trump because they happen to live in areas with high unemployment and depressed economies, and it might be that the cause/effect relationship is between less education and high unemployment. I am not aware of any factual evidence for any such theories, though. Only that there is a known correlation between Trump support and not having a college degree.

FWIW, I had been feeling a lot of stress even before the election, and I was upset enough about the results that I was up all that night vomiting, etc. And I did have to take some time off work myself the next day, although I showed up long enough to get through my e-mail and take care of anything that was urgent before I disappeared to try to get a few hours' sleep. I was never any good at functioning after being up all night even when I was 30 years younger than I am now.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:21 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I haven't had a sick day in 5 years....

I blame our schools,,,,

we need a "real world work" class,,,,where you have real life issues you have to cope with,,,from interviewing for a job,,,,to whats expected in the workplace,,

this is just ridiculous,,,,,,, look at the labels that get thrown about,,,its disgusting..

first world....spoiled ( kids) problem.... no coping skills.... like being in kindergarten. .. me me me

Old 11-12-2016, 06:40 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
The company I retired from would have taken a stern view of not showing up for work for such a reason. If it became a pattern, or it was confirmed that the employee stayed home because their candidate lost, they would be written up.
At that point, there would be a target on their back.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:28 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Why can't people just call in sick? Why do people feel the need to tell people they are distraught over the election? I don't understand why people are so STUPID.
I went in to work happy but I didn't gloat-however, a lot of my coworkers were crying and had to go home early-geez give me a break. You know what I did the day after the election in 2012? Went to work and watched people high five each other all day while telling us Republicans it's over for us....
Karma is a ***** isn't it?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:33 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Yes, it's inappropriate to call in "sick" because someone is distraught over election results. It's not the employer's fault that the election didn't turn out the way the employee wanted it to.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:42 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Seriously? WTF is a "mental health" day ? I admit it's been a long time since I worked for someone else, but has it really gotten that soft inside companies?
It's a day you take off.... just because!
It is nothing new. I did it as far back as the 70s.
If you have the paid time off due you, why not take it?

In other threads, there are complaints that Americans don't take enough time off. Here the opposite is being promoted...

Old 11-12-2016, 09:57 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
psy·cho·so·mat·ic
ˌsīkōsəˈmadik/
adjective
adjective: psychosomatic
(of a physical illness or other condition) caused or aggravated by a mental factor such as internal conflict or stress.
Mental health days are important. Your brain doesn't exist in a bubble.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:24 AM

753 posts, read 1,105,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Yes, it's inappropriate to call in "sick" because someone is distraught over election results. It's not the employer's fault that the election didn't turn out the way the employee wanted it to.
At least salaried positions nowadays typically come with the benefit of sick days and personal time off which we can use for any such purpose, including taking time off to tend to sick family members or do necessary errands that you can only do during normal business hours. It used to be more common to accrue time based on how much you worked, such as one day per month, but after the changes in corporate accounting requirements companies largely stopped doing that in order to avoid having to carry accrued employee sick leave on the books as a debt. Instead my current employer's policy is that you can take as much sick/personal time as you want unless your manager thinks it is excessive. In fact, they do not even differentiate sick/personal time or things like bereavement leave from vacation time any more (and you cannot accrue vacation time from year to year, either). End result is that you can take time off if you need to take care of your health or personal business, but if you abuse the privilege or have an issue with chronic absenteeism you'll hear about it sooner or later. And if you have a serious illness that is causing you to lose lots of work time, they'll push you to go on disability instead of taking sick leave -- the money for that comes out of a different bucket.

At every company I've worked for in the past 25 years or so, it's also been clear that mental health care is also a covered benefit under our company-sponsored health care plans. If you need to talk to a therapist or be treated for depression, that's covered the same as if you have high blood pressure or GI issues because you are stressed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment