Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 08:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times

Advertisements

Hoping to get some advice here.

I left my long term job of 11 years in late August due to the company being silently sold without an announcement and a reorganization forthcoming. Left on great terms, got a new job that turned out to be a sham of sorts, and was fortunate to have another offer immediately after.

Long story short after 2 months in a small office job with things going well, we were supposed to get paid today. No paycheck, we are expected to get paid Friday but the company is bleeding money. Many trips cancelled (It's a tour and bus charter company) and several accounts have not paid us for services. Tough situation all around. I have never dealt with this before, and my question is does anyone know what I should do here in regards to getting paid. If Friday rolls around and no pay do I contact DOL after asking for payment? Anyone experience similar? I'm in NYC. I'm Already getting the resume updated as it's clear the company is shaky.

This is where I'm a bit stumped: I have a solid work history with promotions with only 2 jobs since 1998 with no gaps whatsoever, and I'm wondering if I put this job down or leave it off? I looked online and varying opinions on this. If anyone of my fellow CD'Rs have any advice I'm all ears. A small gap may not be bad but I'm unsure of this.

Lots of anxiety over this, as I left with the hopes of continued stability but seem to be running into choppy waters. Thanks to anyone of the good folks here who can offer some wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 09:24 PM

13,142 posts, read 21,077,639 times
You put in writing to your employer a safety net letter. Give that letter to the highest level person in the company or in HR. Include in that letter a statement basically saying they missed last payroll and you have not received any pay for that period. Demand that they pay you by two business days. State that if they fail to pay you for the missed payroll period, you are accepting it as a termination of your employment due to the company's financial instability. On the start of the third business day, you walk into HR or whomever is in charge and ask for your overdue pay. If they don't have it, pack your things and leave as you have been let go.

Go to unemployment and file a claim for benefits citing simply "Terminated, stopped paying wages". Next contact your state agency that enforces employee pay issues and file a complaint. Next polish the resume and start looking for new employment. That's all you can really do.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,297,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Hoping to get some advice here.

I left my long term job of 11 years in late August due to the company being silently sold without an announcement and a reorganization forthcoming. Left on great terms, got a new job that turned out to be a sham of sorts, and was fortunate to have another offer immediately after.

Long story short after 2 months in a small office job with things going well, we were supposed to get paid today. No paycheck, we are expected to get paid Friday but the company is bleeding money. Many trips cancelled (It's a tour and bus charter company) and several accounts have not paid us for services. Tough situation all around. I have never dealt with this before, and my question is does anyone know what I should do here in regards to getting paid. If Friday rolls around and no pay do I contact DOL after asking for payment? Anyone experience similar? I'm in NYC. I'm Already getting the resume updated as it's clear the company is shaky.

This is where I'm a bit stumped: I have a solid work history with promotions with only 2 jobs since 1998 with no gaps whatsoever, and I'm wondering if I put this job down or leave it off? I looked online and varying opinions on this. If anyone of my fellow CD'Rs have any advice I'm all ears. A small gap may not be bad but I'm unsure of this.

Lots of anxiety over this, as I left with the hopes of continued stability but seem to be running into choppy waters. Thanks to anyone of the good folks here who can offer some wisdom.
Sorry this is happening to you. It does sound stressful. Contact an attorney with experience in employment law, and ask how to proceed. Don't write any letters to the current employer or discussion this with them, until you have talked with an attorney. See what the attorney advises you to do.

Ask the attorney if you should talk with DOL about this. Also, about unemployment, perhaps you can start collecting benefits because of this fraud.

If you don't know how to find an attorney, contact the Local Bar Association and ask for the contact information for attorneys with experience in Employment Law. Call each one up, and ask if they can help you and what they would charge. Do this will all of them, and thank them for the information and you will get back in touch with them.

What you really want and are you are paying for is the attorney to advise you, because there might be other things you need to do now to protect yourself from this fraud. Again, don't write communicate any of this with the current employer's employees, and don't tell any co-workers you are talking to an attorney.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times
Thank you both for the advice. Got paid today. Place is obviously shaky finance wise so can't stay long term. All the best everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment