Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:32 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times

Advertisements

I'm married to an employment attorney. It happens ALL the time especially in the IT sector. A coworker interviewed at a well known IT job and was passed over because he's in his 50s and the person they hired was 30ish. The hard part is proving that it was due to age and not some other random skillset that they can say the younger person has over the older one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:54 AM

387 posts, read 358,607 times
Older people who remain in the workforce are making a conscious decision to do so. They could easily just retire. They have to deal with the consequences of deciding to try to find employment at their age. Employers have business to consider and it's their decision whom they decide to hire. Older workers might repel customers, which will affect employers' bottom line. If you don't like it, maybe try not looking for work at an advanced age.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
There definitely is at my company. New Senior management took over and kicked all the old timers in management positions to the curb at the local levels offering them early retirement packages, citing, "They are too set in their ways, with outdated thinking, and stubborn to accept change". And then they centralized management.

In theory, yes some were. But many were successful in their current roles and they presented great numbers each year.

If its not broke, why fix it exactly? This is a HUGE problem in corporate America today. So many clueless putzes who gain power go roughshod over a company and try and fix s*** that isn't even Broken TO BEGIN WITH!!!!!

Also. Thats all DECADES and DECADES of experience you are losing there and who takes their spots when they are shown the door? People will less experience, less knowledge, and no guarantees if they were ever be successful or even worth two hoots. Thats one of the dumbest things you can do. Kick all that knowledge to the curb and you end up with a big learning curve and COUNTLESS inexperienced people around

The older generation of managers (at least the SUCCESSFUL ones) I found would also would like to keep a knowledgable team around them and promote more on merit. Current younger leadership would rather hire imbeciles and potential drinking buddies (fun people to hang out with) as opposed to qualified. Managers who know to be successful, put the right team with them and promote from within. They aren't as concerned with ego stroking and interpersonal relationships. Crappy managers aren't concerned with this.

The result? The blind currently leading the blind. Loss of business and customers because of the old leadership who had established a rapport with the customer, and a bunch of complete lazy useless, unqualified fools around.

And the worst thing now is that there is NO accountability whatsoever. Whereas where the past management teams would hold their teams accountability (no weak links or laziness, or refusal to earn their worth), it is now RAMPANT on the job. People just do whatever the hell they want to do and there is no repercussions. A lot because of now centralizing management.

When there is no accountability in your workplace, you may as well put a damn torch to it

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-13-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 12-13-2016, 01:35 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
How old is too old? I just hit 30. Is that too old for some companies? I know companies like them fresh out of college sometimes.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:06 PM

227 posts, read 745,717 times
No, people just have to adjust to the workforce changing. Its becoming more younger, and boomers just have to adjust.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:01 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
Why do you regret the decision?
They are out constantly with illness, injury, or sick elder spouses.

Both are not learning our processes effectively, even after six months. The 50 year old we hired is always here and learned very quickly.

Of course people are not all the same. One complains constantly she is not full time but she is 75 years old and we didn't have to hire her at all. After all her serious hospitalizations we cut her to 3 days from 4. Some of it is we were afraid the workload would add to ill health.

The pool is large in this field; I would likely not actively not hire someone older that is "retirement age".

I'm not trying to stereotype, truly. I hope it doesn't across that way. We hire ppl to be here and work though, seems lost on some people.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:34 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
CharlesRamon above - you're a know nothing idiot. First off, not everyone can "just retire." Second of all, there are actually laws protecting older workers - the Age Discrimination in Employment Act for one, so employers cannot just fail to hire or fire older workers because they are older. in fact, the ADEA kicks in at age 40. Third, older workers will repel customers? Are you for real?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:39 PM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I'm married to an employment attorney. It happens ALL the time especially in the IT sector. A coworker interviewed at a well known IT job and was passed over because he's in his 50s and the person they hired was 30ish. The hard part is proving that it was due to age and not some other random skillset that they can say the younger person has over the older one.
I love how everyone makes assumptions that it is about age. How do you know the 50 year old didn't want more money? Or maybe they had a crap entitled attitude in the interview. Fact of the matter is employers discriminate against a lot of things. I had a CFO tell me they never hire ugly or overweight people.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It depends on whether these job managers want to have the most qualified and experienced people on their staffs or if they'd rather have people their own age, with whom they can hang-out after work.
Steve, YOUR statement is the EPITOME of age discrimination. I may have to do some research to see if YOU are in a position to hire and inform the EEOC.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You are too old to be hired. I'm 63 and wouldn't expect to be hired for any of the jobs I've had.
We have bad knees, bad backs, and are annoyed with bosses half our ages.
You should stay where you are until you can afford to retire.
Keeping a job at our age is entirely different than being hired at our age.
Hiring managers would wonder why you are looking for work at your stage in life.
Let the next generation make their mark.
OMG I'll be feeling the heat!

NO YOU have bad knees, bad backs and annoyed as a grouch. SPEAK for your damn self. I have family who worked into their 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment