Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,829,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Why bother hiring you when they can hire a fresh grad?

After 1 year, if you don't have any relevant experience, you are way behind the eight ball.

Plus, not working and "traveling" is a nice red flag for I don't really want to work.

OR

Since you didn't get a job no company wants you, so I don't want to hire you either.

etc...

You have a ton of red flags and that is a death sentence today.

Companies today no longer like to bend their requirements, even if that means they don't hire.
Not even close not even remotely close.

Unemployment has been dropping so fast and things are red hot. It's an employees market not an employers. Baby boomers are retiring and companies are running scared trying to keep people.

You can't really judge someone on the basis of what they say as experience. I worked in an office with three elderly women coworkers that were hired because they said they had "office experience". They meant MS office, they thought it meant just working in and office Needless to say *I* had to train them on using Windows. Their last office was in the late 1970's. Sure they had experience but it was not current. They knew how to type and that's about it. We had to let one of them go because she was doing half the work of others. Why it took three months to teach a windows GUI is beyond me.

I know places begging for people. The only basics would be clean on the drug test, background and maybe ok credit. Not all markets are the same.

I've been headhunted, my supervisor has been headhunted and we're in the process of hiring four people right now.The market is hot.

What if someone does have a job but they are under a NDA or a non compete? Do you honestly think a company is going to pay the litigation costs to deal with that hire? When I was in the private sector we had some major competitors and I had coworkers from them. There's only so many times we could hear "that's not the way we did it at xyz. We did it...." yeah you know what if you know it so well why don't you go back! It got to the point where we'd rather hire people without the experience. Why? Because sometimes it isn't "experience" but rather "someone elses experience". Different policies, different computer systems, different staff.

It's not like there's this huge amount of unemployed people looking to start. Sometimes if a person already has a job they aren't really looking for a new job. They are looking for a job offer so they can go back to their supervisor as part of evidence for a raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think the real opportunities for engineering are outside of the USA for people just graduating. The USA is already developed, nothing new of note worthieness is being built and no significant funding is being allocated for infrastructure.

If everyone is just buying entertainment and they are ok with living in perpetual dilapidation then engineers wont be valued. A society on the decline really has no use for engineering, math or science.

They just want to be entertained as everything slips into second world status.

I do think there will be huge demand for weapons developers and builders as the world is heading towards war because there are WAY too many people and too few resources. Not sure Trump will be able to negotiate his way out of the inevitable world war we will see.
We don't have way too many people and too few resources. We have the New Evil Empire (the UN) and corporatist allies hogging a lot of the resources or making up lies (like "climate change") to deny us them.

As for World War III, you're right, it's inevitable. The question is, will it be against the New USSR (Russia, Iran, Syria, etc), against the Chi-Coms (China, North Korea, etc), or against the New Evil Empire (the UN and the Fifth Column leaders like Trudeau, Merkel, and Obama working for it and the religious groups like the Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention, the Lutheran Church (or some of it), United Methodist Church, the LDS Church, and, indeed, ISIS, loyal to it)? And since it's likely to involve nuclear weapons and EMPs, living in the cities is a bad idea if WWIII breaks out.

Last edited by MongooseHugger; 12-16-2016 at 10:23 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,188,642 times
Low wage, low skilled jobs, sure, government jobs, ok, but when it comes to entry level, college degree, professional career orientated jobs outside government, if you don't get that first in industry/career job before one year after graduating, and you haven't been developing other skills or relevant experience during that year, you are screwed. The new grads behind you are going to swallow you up while they become the hire of choice for this class of employee.

For these type of jobs, which is the kind the OP is talking about, it is not an employee market.

Not impossible, but it is going to be really tough and your choices and number of companies that will hire you is going to be limited.

We are talking about a guy with a degree in Econ looking for his first career job since graduating, not some basic office job that can be done by people with minimum skill sets.

The OP will probably have to go government or network his way into something in the private sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Unemployment has been dropping so fast and things are red hot. It's an employees market not an employers. Baby boomers are retiring and companies are running scared trying to keep people.

You can't really judge someone on the basis of what they say as experience. I worked in an office with three elderly women coworkers that were hired because they said they had "office experience". They meant MS office, they thought it meant just working in and office Needless to say *I* had to train them on using Windows. Their last office was in the late 1970's. Sure they had experience but it was not current. They knew how to type and that's about it. We had to let one of them go because she was doing half the work of others. Why it took three months to teach a windows GUI is beyond me.

I know places begging for people. The only basics would be clean on the drug test, background and maybe ok credit. Not all markets are the same.

I've been headhunted, my supervisor has been headhunted and we're in the process of hiring four people right now.The market is hot.

What if someone does have a job but they are under a NDA or a non compete? Do you honestly think a company is going to pay the litigation costs to deal with that hire? When I was in the private sector we had some major competitors and I had coworkers from them. There's only so many times we could hear "that's not the way we did it at xyz. We did it...." yeah you know what if you know it so well why don't you go back! It got to the point where we'd rather hire people without the experience. Why? Because sometimes it isn't "experience" but rather "someone elses experience". Different policies, different computer systems, different staff.

It's not like there's this huge amount of unemployed people looking to start. Sometimes if a person already has a job they aren't really looking for a new job. They are looking for a job offer so they can go back to their supervisor as part of evidence for a raise.

Last edited by High Altitude; 12-16-2016 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 12:52 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,116,642 times
Quote:

Wow it's like we live in two different worlds. What part of the country are you in? It's tanked where I'm at and looking for opportunity anywhere. I put in 100 applications the past 2 weeks. I can pass a hair drug test on the spot, don't drink either, clean background, and my credit score is 780. Yet what the heck it's like everybody around here is fighting for scraps.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:50 AM

421 posts, read 205,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Wow it's like we live in two different worlds. What part of the country are you in? It's tanked where I'm at and looking for opportunity anywhere. I put in 100 applications the past 2 weeks. I can pass a hair drug test on the spot, don't drink either, clean background, and my credit score is 780. Yet what the heck it's like everybody around here is fighting for scraps.
Welcome to the Obama economy

I do hope mr. Trump is able to right this sinking ship, but yeah i also see what you see; grown adults even with degrees fighting over the proverbial "scraps" of Obama's job market.

It's a sad state of affairs for sure. This country's best days are clearly behind her economically.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:03 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,410 times
Depends on the degree but generally they last forever if you get experience and land a job.
Your problem is the same problem that many college grads are experiencing, which is a lack of attainable jobs. After years of Obama outsouricng and insourcing, the job prospects are far worse than what they used to be.

It's not accidental in any way!
You will need to keep trying!

Old 12-22-2016, 12:56 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Depends on the degree but generally they last forever if you get experience and land a job.
Your problem is the same problem that many college grads are experiencing, which is a lack of attainable jobs. After years of Obama outsouricng and insourcing, the job prospects are far worse than what they used to be.

It's not accidental in any way!
You will need to keep trying!
I know it's not accidental. If there were a degree in studying politicians and their schemes and finding their supporters, etc, I'd have a couple of PHDs.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:40 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Low wage, low skilled jobs, sure, government jobs, ok, but when it comes to entry level, college degree, professional career orientated jobs outside government, if you don't get that first in industry/career job before one year after graduating, and you haven't been developing other skills or relevant experience during that year, you are screwed. The new grads behind you are going to swallow you up while they become the hire of choice for this class of employee.

For these type of jobs, which is the kind the OP is talking about, it is not an employee market.

Not impossible, but it is going to be really tough and your choices and number of companies that will hire you is going to be limited.

We are talking about a guy with a degree in Econ looking for his first career job since graduating, not some basic office job that can be done by people with minimum skill sets.

The OP will probably have to go government or network his way into something in the private sector.
Heh a bit harsh but not to far off. Landing the "general" entry level office job definitely gets harder the longer you are not working. I think anytime you hit the 4+months of unemployment the "red flags" start popping up and though you are not yet at dreaded "unemployable" status-it is lurking in the background. Any time there is any significant type of gap the first question the employer will ask (in my experience at least) is: " I see you where unemployed from A-B, can you explain that?" Now you could say that " I was applying every day for work etc...." and that may be true and good but in the employer's eyes you will be seen as "lazy". You could go with "my X was sick and I had to take care of him/her", "I went back to school for a semester etc..."- the point is you are going to have to spin, spin better than any politician of why you where unemployed from X to X because unemployment gaps are gigantic black holes- they will draw attention, you will be asked about it.

My advice, assuming you have a generic LA degree or you have no luck landing that more specialized job is to apply for the positions that have a somewhat high turnover. So the customer service, the call center, IT support, customer support, mindless data entry etc... Yes I know those type of jobs are generally not exciting nor is the pay that great but often it may be your only "in" to X company, it may be the only way you move up the totem pole.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:25 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:

A lot of this is local. Here in Tennessee, the recession really never went away except for metro Nashville

Old 12-22-2016, 05:23 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,188,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Heh a bit harsh but not to far off. Landing the "general" entry level office job definitely gets harder the longer you are not working. I think anytime you hit the 4+months of unemployment the "red flags" start popping up and though you are not yet at dreaded "unemployable" status-it is lurking in the background. Any time there is any significant type of gap the first question the employer will ask (in my experience at least) is: " I see you where unemployed from A-B, can you explain that?" Now you could say that " I was applying every day for work etc...." and that may be true and good but in the employer's eyes you will be seen as "lazy". You could go with "my X was sick and I had to take care of him/her", "I went back to school for a semester etc..."- the point is you are going to have to spin, spin better than any politician of why you where unemployed from X to X because unemployment gaps are gigantic black holes- they will draw attention, you will be asked about it.

My advice, assuming you have a generic LA degree or you have no luck landing that more specialized job is to apply for the positions that have a somewhat high turnover. So the customer service, the call center, IT support, customer support, mindless data entry etc... Yes I know those type of jobs are generally not exciting nor is the pay that great but often it may be your only "in" to X company, it may be the only way you move up the totem pole.
Businesses today have the mind set that if another company wasn't willing to hire you after 3-6 months of being unemployed, why should we? Something MUST be wrong, even though we have no clue what or even if it exists, but we aren't willing to take that chance since no one else is either.

It doesn't matter how well educated, qualified or experienced you are. Couple "red" flags and you are sunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment