Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:46 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Haha speaking of excel, another true story.

A couple companies ago, I worked with this older guy. When I say older, he was about mid 40s. The boss had him make up an excel spreadsheet to do calculations. It took him a while, but he finally came up with one. Emailed it to all of us and we started uaing it. Very quickly, we all realized when we changed a value nothing else chamged. A closer look revealed that he did not put in the equations for the calculations. We confronted him and he admitted he did not know how to use excel so he just used his calculator to calculate the nbers for that particular set of data and manually punched in the results.

We are talking about an engimeering firm, here. How did someone get away with working in the engineering industry for 20 years and not ever used excel before?
Yes, there's no excuse for it.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:48 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Not all employers use that. My mother worked at a company that frankly didn't use anything of ms office really. They used OS/2 warp and old VAX systems. The "latest and greatest" doesn't always give a good ROI and ROE. If the old system works then it is kept. Companies generally do not train people like they did back in the 1970's. Add in some non competes and non disclosures and experience declines as a value.

Excel is great I use it all the time at work and to a point at home. However, excel is so open ended that not everything is used. Filters get most of my work done and I check percentages to a point. Pivot tables and Vloopup isn't exactly needed but if requested I can make them. Now the database system I use is proprietary (MUNIS) you can't buy this so technically unless you get a job in government the chances of getting that experience in the private or non profit sectors is slim to none. Non profits tend to use Raisers Edge, that's not something youd find a person with private sector or governmental experience. So yes it isn't so much what are "they" doing but what the employer was doing. When I was in the private sector we had Linux but it was a company version. Many companies do NOT want to train people in a skill that has a value outside of that place.
We are an analytics based group. Excel is a fundamental requisite. There is no excuse for not knowing what you're supposed to know.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:06 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
This thread is a perfect example of why we do not permit gross generalizations (a/k/a bashing) re: any demographic. Shame on everyone who bashes an entire group of people. Please read the Work & Employment forum rules set forth in the Sticky thread at the top of the W&E index. This thread is now closed. And believe it or not, the most egregious Terms of Service violations have been deleted.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-17-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment