Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I leave this employer if he refuses to milden the new contract?
A -- Yes 5 100.00%
B -- No 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 833 times

Advertisements

Background:
> Finished university (great marks, awards, etc).
> Worked for an electromechanical engineering company for 1.5 years, wanted to move to quantitative finance -- so left.
> Joined a shady start-up as a foot in the door -- worked for 11 months -- got let go just before company went bust; gained a lot of programming knowledge and some in finance.
> For six months sought employment with big-brand high-quality firms where I could work for a number of years to build my career in quantitative finance. Got interviews will all major brands, but lacked math and finance knowledge to succeed / could have done better in mental-math/thinking questions. It will take me at-least another year of part-time self-study to catch up with the knowledge.
> Not successful; reluctantly joined another hedge fund start-up; have been working there for 1 year. Developed software and strategies from scratch. Over time completely lost respect for my employer: his desire to completely strip me of all the IP I brought to the company, bar future employment, lying, dishonesty, litigious nature, reluctance to share any of the profits of my work, forcing to work ridiculous hours, intrusive behaviour, paranoia, monitoring.
> He is uncompromisingly forcing me to sign a toxic contract I do not agree to. At the same time the company is very vulnerable now -- it needs me to launch its first product (which only I fully understand).

Dilemma: Should I (A) issue a revised version of the contract I am happy to agree to and if (most likely) refused -- leave the company? or (B) sign whatever I am given and be an obedient little employee (potentially replaced in the future).

Concerns: If I go with A -- I will have three short stints under my belt. I do not want to be a job hopper. It might take me a very long time to get a job with an established company if ever. If I go with B I could lose hope of ever having my own business (as I am splashing out all of my long-term ideas); once the company is running smooth / product is doing well -- I could be fired. Employer already tried hiring a backup for me, but was unsuccessful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 10:10 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,302,429 times
If you feel the company is unethical, then you need to leave the company.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
I'd bring in a contract that suits you (And is NOT extreme) and helps them and say "This is what I'll accept, anything less, I'll quit here and now" then you'd better be prepared to walk.

If you explain that to your next employer that you left the recent company due to ethics they may very well understand.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:40 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,587,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I'd bring in a contract that suits you (And is NOT extreme) and helps them and say "This is what I'll accept, anything less, I'll quit here and now" then you'd better be prepared to walk.

If you explain that to your next employer that you left the recent company due to ethics they may very well understand.
This, exactly. Be firm but not rude and be prepared for backlash. But only do this if you're ready to walk.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
If you want to work for a reputable company in a finance job, your priority should be strengthening your finance knowledge and skills.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

This.

Further, if you don't want to be a job hopper then you may need to revisit your approach at looking for new jobs and avoid these jobs with high volatility. You may not be able to start out in quantative finance since you lack the knowledge/skills. You may need to temper your expectations and start out lower on the totem pole and work your way into it.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:10 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,406,752 times
I'd get a lawyer or CPA to help write up the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment