Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
What about go to the shelter, get help to get a job, get my own place, and then go to community college? Yes, in Bakersfield.

Or can I get financial aid to go to cc (it can be in Bakersfield) and get a dorm, or even ride bus back and forth here (they should be ok with that, my aunt would pretty much for sure yell at my uncle and make him be ok with if he wasn't).
Either option works. Either option is better than what you are doing now.

Financial aid is a good option for you. Fill out the FAFSA (the college will help), and you should qualify for a grant. Grants are money that you don't have to pay back. Ever. It is yours to keep. It really, truly is free money if you go to college.

You have to use the grant to pay tuition and fees, but there will probably be some left over. This is usually called a refund. You can use this refund towards housing.

You should also qualify for workstudy money. This is money you earn by working a job at the college. You aren't guaranteed a job, but if you get one, it will help.

For people like you, with absolutely zero financial resources, there are often other programs to provide financial assistance. I don't live in CA, so I don't know details. Go to the TRIO office and ask. TRIO is a program for economically challenged students (that would be you) and they can help you with forms, finding out about other financial programs, all that good stuff.

Quote:
I really should go into the military to be forced into a stronger person, but taking meds automatically disqualified me.
Ignore the military. It isn't an option for you. Move on.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM

242 posts, read 158,071 times
I'm scared of shelters and homelessness, and homeless people after incidents with them.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:29 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Do you have a clean record and a driver's license? I just read another thread about CNAs on here and maybe you could try being a live-in caregiver.

Here is one ad I quickly found:
Live - in caregiver needed

You'll have a place to live, make some money and maybe could take one community college class at night and see how that goes.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Do you have a clean record and a driver's license? I just read another thread about CNAs on here and maybe you could try being a live-in caregiver.

The live-in part is nice for the OP, but he is NOT a good match for the position.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post

You'll have a place to live, make some money and maybe could take one community college class at night and see how that goes.
Clean record? Yes. Driver's license? If you read everything you'd know that I can't drive.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Another thing I'm interested in (I think what I listed covers this field though) is learning how to create apps for iOS and Android, or at least one (if the app was successful then I could pay someone to make a version of it for other mobile OSs.). These simple one finger game are so addicting, million dollar opportunities, and people make that. That falls under computer programming and coding right?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
Another thing I'm interested in (I think what I listed covers this field though) is learning how to create apps for iOS and Android, or at least one (if the app was successful then I could pay someone to make a version of it for other mobile OSs.). These simple one finger game are so addicting, million dollar opportunities, and people make that. That falls under computer programming and coding right?
Yes. Focus on getting enrolled first, and then you can decide what to major in.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM

My safest plan seems to be, go home, hit the pavement, I should be able to get some minimum wage entry level low skill job, get into routine, work for 6 months (more or less) find new location, have enough money to live off of 3-6 months, whether I can immediately get an apartment or I have to stay in motels again, and I'll be able to go wherever I want (I mean I doubt I'll go to NYC or San Francisco at this point, but there are many more big cities with attractive qualities) and can go where good opportunities are, maybe even leave the US. If I am out job hunting, working, my family should get off my butt, even if after work I went home and sat online for a few hours.

I've been observing people, in their natural environments, in real life, like an alien would. Watching how they interact, it's fascinating, I spent so much time isolated from other humans, and TV and movies show a false reality.

This is REALLY shocking being outside of a school environment, I'm sitting at McDonald's, using the wifi, and some girls actually comes over and says hi and asks me how my day is! I said I'm alright, then I admitted that I'm actually very stressed (shame I couldn't have a good conversation). She's like i'm sorry to hear that. I think she have been only 15-16, maybe younger. We didn't say either of our ages. But she did say MOM'S TAKING US TO CHUCK E CHEESE to the other people she was with (siblings or friends, idk).

I do feel like an alien, observing how real life humans are and what exists in society. I didn't even know you could have a taxi pick you up even in the most rural areas, I was so sheltered. To most people things such as public transportation and clubs are just normal parts of every day life. Pizza's not the only food that can be delivered (in some locations). And I lived where even Pizza Hut wouldn't deliver. I hate being outside of the mainstream normal life. At least now my poor little sister may get to live her youth in civilization, unless they move back to the complete middle of nowhere, I will be long gone for sure, in super urban civilization.

I will never return to isolated areas, or small towns isolated from civilized societies. I'd rather be homeless in a big city now (of course I don't want this to be the case though).

Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Ok. Your response saddens me, as I see it as another way to avoid taking steps to make your life better. I hope that I am wrong.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Ok. Your response saddens me, as I see it as another way to avoid taking steps to make your life better. I hope that I am wrong.

Good luck.
What? Me going home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment