Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times

Advertisements

IM fighting this same battle with my staff. there are two types of managers - the ones who will willfully accept and shoulder the problems brought to them and solve it FOR their staff. Employees LOVE this type of manager

The other types use problems brought to them as a learning opportunity for their staff and hand the problem BACK to the employee with some coaching. Employees sometimes dont like this type of manager b/c they're forced to actually THINK and be empowered to do some problem solving on their own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 03:02 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
IM fighting this same battle with my staff. there are two types of managers - the ones who will willfully accept and shoulder the problems brought to them and solve it FOR their staff. Employees LOVE this type of manager

The other types use problems brought to them as a learning opportunity for their staff and hand the problem BACK to the employee with some coaching. Employees sometimes dont like this type of manager b/c they're forced to actually THINK and be empowered to do some problem solving on their own...
Exactly right.. I have told my team members that I will help them as much as possible and pitch in in an emergency, but I expect them to self manage and that they are empowered to solve things on their own. The common schpiel I give with that its.. If you can explain why you decided something, as long as its not crazy I'll be cool with it for that time.. if I need to give coaching I will for the future but for one offs I expect them to be able to use their best (key word there) judgement. I also say that if I do the job for them, it signals to others that we don't need them.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Are you being dense on purpose?

As one of my early managers said, "do not come to me with a problem unless you have a suggestion for a solution." That advice served me well for the rest of my career.

It doesn't mean that your suggestion will be acceptable, of course, but it will get you to THINK. It's not training, or having lots of help that makes a successful.employee. It's being smart, and believe it or not, barring a disability, that is usually a choice.
= Taking the Bull by the horns!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It's always going to be questions because like I said the job is unpredictable.
I had a job that I was able to make fit the proverbial square peg into a round hole - in an extremely short amount of time I was promoted (before/above everyone else who had MUCH more seniority than myself) into management.

I took the proverbial Bull by the horns for better or worse very many (as you stated "unpredictable") times. I showed initiative as well as showing guts/courage/trying to get the job done without someone holding my hand was respected and appreciated even if the resolution wasn't the perfect one. In just a handful of my decisions my superior suggested a way they would resolve/do it. I had several superiors, but I showed my "can-do" or "make-do" to resolve the scenarios and to "fight" my own battles.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
This is all that the manager is asking for. Some initiative and personal responsibility. Not sure why some have heartburn with this....

Old 01-18-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
This is all that the manager is asking for. Some initiative and personal responsibility. Not sure why some have heartburn with this....
Like a customer spilling McDonald's HOT Coffee on themselves and blaming and suing McDonald's. This sadly "spills over" into the workplace as well.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Like a customer spilling McDonald's HOT Coffee on themselves and blaming and suing McDonald's. This sadly "spills over" into the workplace as well.
really should educate yourself on the facts and the merits of the McDonalds case if you are going to attempt to appear "smart"...but you won't

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case

Old 01-18-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
really should educate yourself on the facts and the merits of the McDonalds case if you are going to attempt to appear "smart"...but you won't

I wasn't basing on them winning any lawsuit. The point was personal responsibility and not playing the victim card.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:30 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

I think the OP was saying this tongue in cheek. I also think most of us realized that. But if it helps you, this one should be more along the lines of what the OP meant.

In laymans terms, responsibility.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:20 PM

687 posts, read 616,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Because a lot of people have been trained to be terrified of liability. If a McDonald's employee exercised personal judgment and decided the coffee was too hot, they would be reprimanded for not following procedure. However, when an old woman needs skin grafts after spilling her coffee, the employee whom served it is not liable because it wasn't their personal responsibility to decide the temperature of the coffee. That is the tip of the iceberg, but the moral is that avoiding liability is the cultural and legal expectation for responsible citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment