Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 03:50 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times

Advertisements

So I just got terminated (starting new job in a few weeks at higher salary so I'm OK). I went to pick up my stuff today and remembered I had a flash drive with personal stuff on it - documents and contracts from an old job (not this one), some old student films, contracts, excel documents etc.

They gave my stuff back and I brought up the flash drive to the HR person. She says (let's say "conveniently" forgot) "oh it's in the hands of our legal department." I said that's personal stuff, I wasn't stealing anything from the company, I want it back. She says he's based in Orlando but should be upstairs, unless he took it back with him to Florida. Turns out it was with my old boss and nothing was altered or removed.

This a software company I was working for, so I can see the need to inspect it. But it's pretty sketch that the HR person giving back my stuff knew about it and thought I wouldn't notice. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.

Anybody have this happen to them (or something similar?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
No, but I would never leave a flash drive in my workplace. If you want it during the workday keep it in your purse/pocket.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Why is it sleazy?
You had a personal flash drive at a company you no longer work for and they inspected it.
Why did you have a personal flash drive at work in the first place?
You are there to collect a payroll check because in theory you worked to earn it.
There is nothing sleazy about what the company did.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.
Or, she just forgot about it until you reminded her?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:40 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,699 times
Yeah, not seeing anything nefarious here.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:19 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Or, she just forgot about it until you reminded her?
Forgot that it was with the legal department? Why would it be with the the corporate attorney and not the IT Team? The IT Team handles data security, not the legal department. I don't think a corporate attorney has enough insight into the app's made to recognize if I was trying to steal something.

I was forced out and forgot it on my desk. Of course I should have remembered it, but in the heat of the moment you aren't thinking clearly.

"Why is it sleazy?
You had a personal flash drive at a company you no longer work for and they inspected it.
Why did you have a personal flash drive at work in the first place?
You are there to collect a payroll check because in theory you worked to earn it.
There is nothing sleazy about what the company did."

Are you senile? Read the post - I was there to pick up my belongings on my desk, not a check.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Forgot that it was with the legal department? Why would it be with the the corporate attorney and not the IT Team? The IT Team handles data security, not the legal department. I don't think a corporate attorney has enough insight into the app's made to recognize if I was trying to steal something.
Well, it turned out that it was simply with your former boss. Nothing more, nothing less. I think you're reading into what the HR person said a bit too much. It's likely that the flash drive was discovered and some quick conversation happened over why that was there and what to do about it. Maybe the legal dept. may have been mentioned. And when you brought it up, that's what she remembered.

In the end, your boss probably just took a cursory look, saw no threat and took no further action.

If you really think about it - it's a flashdrive. It may have been important to you because of the contents. But to everyone else, it's just a worthless tchotchke.

If they really wanted to be be sketchy, they would have just copied the contents before they gave it back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment