Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:10 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times

Advertisements

Long ago in my retail worker days, a few co-workers and I - as practical joke - rearranged the interior before the regular customer store hours to play a joke on another coworker everyone had a good laugh.

While in graduate school I worked at restaurant that did not tell us they were closing and the next day about a dozen employees showed up to padlocked doors.

In one corporate job I traveled a lot and we physically moved offices. I went on trip and when I retuned it was at new work location with my 'stuff' all in boxes and IT scheduled to set up my PC at new location with new security measures for the new building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 04:40 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_kWYxUFQws

Old 01-20-2017, 05:57 PM

30 posts, read 32,942 times
I've seen and heard of this happening in small restaurant business. Employees show up to locked doors. At one place, the manager told them day of and allowed the employees to get sloshed on the remaining liquor from the bar before closing the doors for good. At the small restaurant I worked during the Recession, I somewhat mentally prepared for the same happening to me. Thankfully it didn't.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
yes, i been working out of town for the last eight years and the office moved into a new building twenty miles away, and nobody told me.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:29 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,430 times
It happened to me.

I interviewed at and was hired for a high level position with an ad agency. I interviewed with the principles a few times and was made an offer. I started 2 weeks later and went to the office where they interviewed me. The elevator wouldn't go to their floor (it was locked). I called the office thinking there was something wrong with the elevator. They told me they moved last week and forgot to tell me.

True story.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
I've heard this story years ago where the workers were given no forewarning.
Worked for the Fed. Govt. which requires tons of documentation before firing someone, even managers.

Over 30 years, I've seen several cases where managers have burned out or somehow fallen out of favor come into their offices to find them empty, only to find their desks and other furniture out in the hall. One was moved to the area where the vending machines were located. They weren't assigned any meaningful duties, just allowed to vegetate

Now that's pretty funny, but even funnier was the one mgr. who was not the least bit embarrassed by this turn-of-events and spent the next two years working out in the hallway. He was determined to work until a certain age before retiring and that's what he did. He used to say that they could have relocated him to the roof and he would've stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment