Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:50 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times

Advertisements

Seems like more and more companies are doing complete reorgs every couple of years now to adapt to all the changes in the market/industry.

Hard to have a 5 year plan when this is happening so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 01:17 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I applied for a temp job that lasted 3-5-6 months than clearly you are out the door. The lady who did the interview asked me where do I see myself in 5 years. Did not know that is a question to ask someone who wants to do temp work for the company?

Its was a paper pusher, drone like office work. Why on earth do you care what I do in a few years?
Just say "Well, my first choice would be (fill in dream job here) but I realize that may not be realistic, so I will also consider (second choice) or perhaps (third choice)".

If you want the job, that is...

Old 01-29-2017, 07:33 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
And the reason the ask some of the questions they do, is to eliminate people with your attitude towards corporations and businesses. They find that people with your type of attitude are bad for their businesses.
LOL - You are probably right. I would not make a good cubicle rat. Guess that's why I run my own company. We may not be a national corporation, but I've done OK. And when we hire a new person we certainly don't ask them moronic corporate questions.

Our questions are more like...

Do you smoke? Fail
Can you read? Pass
Do you understand the only person who gets to be late is Jamie? Because I own the company? Pass
Do you understand what "no personal calls at work means? Pass
Are you a doper? Fail

Do you understand Jamie is always right? Even when I'm wrong? And if I want your opinion I will give you one.

Oh yeah, and THE most important one...

Can you shoot?

OK, you're hired!

Last edited by jamies; 01-29-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OP did the question really throw you to the point of you giving a stupid answer or stumbling badly through an answer?

I don't see why -- even in a temp job search -- a person shouldn't be able to answer that question.
It's not a new question that no one ever heard of…it's standard. So just give an answer that sounds good. I don't see what the problem is.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:12 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP did the question really throw you to the point of you giving a stupid answer or stumbling badly through an answer?

I don't see why -- even in a temp job search -- a person shouldn't be able to answer that question.
It's not a new question that no one ever heard of…it's standard. So just give an answer that sounds good. I don't see what the problem is.
Dude, did you read anything at all??? Temp work, clearly ending, no hiring of you, 5 year question. Can't you be more clever and add 2 plus 2 together. Some of the others have stated it for you more polite than me. You must be from generation old fart or a wimp where utterly stupid questions for the particular job in an interview are viewed without disdain.

Last edited by 87112; 01-30-2017 at 01:53 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
I took a job that was supposed to end for me in 3 weeks, when some recruited person would be ready to take it over. But no one ever showed up and I stayed there for 3 years. No job security whatsoever, but I really liked what I was doing. So even if a job is designated as temporary, you don't want to disregard the possibility that it could lead to a long-term position, if you do good work.

To extend this theme obliquely, I once applied for a Job with the BLM (federal agency). They did not reply, but 3 years later, I got a notice, saying that I had been accepted to work in their field office in Malta, Montana and that I needed to report there immediately. I looked up Malta and it's one of the coldest places in the lower 48 states and this was in January. So I passed on that one and stayed warm here in my hometown.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Dude, did you read anything at all??? Temp work, clearly ending, no hiring of you, 5 year question. Can't you be more clever and add 2 plus 2 together. Some of the others have stated it for you more polite than me. You must be from generation old fart or a wimp where utterly stupid questions for the particular job in an interview are viewed without disdain.
Why do you think you get to decide what is relevant to a potential employer during an interview?

Maybe ... it's a script ... so what? It's also got to be right up there on the "Top 10" of questions you can expect to be asked.

I've worked at places where a temp worker could make you or break you. I've seen entire departments reduced to chaos for a week over the actions of one incompetent temp worker & I've been the temp worker in departments where they eat temps for lunch & it's CYA all the time.

Maybe ...they wanted to know how invested in that industry a potential hire is. Maybe they already know the position will place you in a team of invested coworkers that will trample an unmotivated hire to a pulp on the first day & they don't want to have to re-interview for this position every other day.

Maybe they didn't even CARE what your answer was; you could have told them that in 5 years you see yourself running naked in the Amazon with the monkeys & the corporate world can shove it ... & maybe they would just answer "Nice" & move on to the next question.

Who knows? It's not a hard question. Having "disdain" for an interview question makes it kind of easy to predict where someone sees themselves in 5 years anyway.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Why do you think you get to decide what is relevant to a potential employer during an interview?

Who knows? It's not a hard question. Having "disdain" for an interview question makes it kind of easy to predict where someone sees themselves in 5 years anyway.
Because the candidate is interviewing the company as well and displaying rank stupidity such as this is a poor way to attract talent. I can guarantee the chief technology officer did not sit with an HR bimbo and take a psychometric test and talk about a time they had a conflict with a coworker.

You don't let the least intelligent and productive members of a company pick the most.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Because the candidate is interviewing the company as well and displaying rank stupidity such as this is a poor way to attract talent.
When employers have their pick of candidates, I'd say….answer the question.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:19 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
When employers have their pick of candidates, I'd say….answer the question.
It depends how desperate the candidate is ie what other options I have determines how much HR nonsense I am willing to endure before walking out. No one suffers fools gladly and everyone has their limits.

People desperate enough to take a retail job yea they probably have no choice but to endure the BS. Chief Technology Officer or specialized programmers if they spend more than a short time with a vacuous HR person they are going to walk out and tell the HR bimbo and company to F off possibly even literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment