Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
I don't know what that has to do with what I said. Are you saying that billing rates are the same across the board, no matter where you work? As in negotiating a higher salary isn't available to you?
Correct.

Negotiating a higher salary than the top the range is not usually available but you can be promoted. The promotion can be negotiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
Right, because the affordability of the "prestigious" places is exactly the same as the South....

If I'm making $50k in the South I can buy a nice $220k house in a nice, safe area. Then I go out to California to make $180k for the same job (great pay increase), but then that same $220k house you would get in the south all of a sudden costs $1 Million, and you're stacked on top of 4 other houses in a non-desirable area. On top of that the cost of living and taxes are exponentially higher.

ANYbody making $50,000 has NO business buying a home for $220000.

At most the person could but a home for $150000.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Sleep with the boss.
Or obtain incriminating photos of the boss sleeping with someone they shouldn't be

Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 AM

255 posts, read 200,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Correct.

Negotiating a higher salary than the top the range is not usually available but you can be promoted. The promotion can be negotiated.
So engineers cannot get raises by switching jobs? No matter if they switch companies, states, industries, etc.?

Am I understanding you correctly? Because I have a lot of engineering friends. And many of them switch jobs for pay increases quite regularly.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Not every year. But every 2-3 years, it's pretty normal if you're good at negotiating and selling yourself. My salary has increased 125% since I started working about a decade ago.

When you're talking about 3-5% raises per year, for doing the same job, that's a different story. I'd stick it out for that. But as I indicated in a previous post, the highest raise I've ever seen is 2.5%, and I've worked at a lot of different companies, in different industries, and in different states. 3-5% is NOT normal IME. Typically, it's been closer to 1-2%. And that's not based on individual performance, but a company-wide scale for all employees.

Would you stay at the same company, long term, for 1% year over year COLA raises? In many cases, you're not even keeping up with inflation with that.
I think this is fairly typical at the start of ones career (1st 10 years) as your overall cost as an employee is relatively low. Once you reach middle management/senior contributor progress slows unless you are able to attach yourself to high profile projects.

Re: stagnant raises for established employees, remember once you are hired, you are a cost to your employer (unless they are able to directly bill your time out). Typically, there will be a corporate edict that the raise pool for the US is x% this year. At that point, you either distribute that % evenly (simplest way) or try to divide it up either to reward perceived high performers or to make up salary inequalities within your team (at the expense of those from whom you take away).

Old 01-31-2017, 08:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
So engineers cannot get raises by switching jobs? No matter if they switch companies, states, industries, etc.?

Am I understanding you correctly? Because I have a lot of engineering friends. And many of them switch jobs for pay increases quite regularly.
No, only within the same company.

The only thing I was trying to say is there is no such thing as free money. There's a market value.

There's always a trade-off when you take a higher salary than market value.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Correct.

I've worked for an engineering firm, and they have a rate chart. Different positions bill out at different rates. You can be promoted to a new title with a different rate.

Furthermore not all firms have the same rate. When you say firms have the same rates across the board that's nonsense.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:

$176K mortgage (80% LTV @4%) = $840/month. It's the South so add in 1.25% for tax/insurance ($230/month)
$1070 per month total

It works out to 26% ratio of housing costs to gross income, which is in line with typical guidance.

It doesn't mean the person can actually afford it based upon their lifestyle, but the 2-3 times income guidance typically thrown around was from the days of higher interest rates.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 AM

2,280 posts, read 3,079,872 times
Quote:

Incorrect. One could definitely buy a home in Phoenix, where I live, for $220k on a $50k salary with today's interest rates and little or no debt. The big difference is property taxes. The $220k house in New Jersey is going to be around $5,500 a year in property taxes, or an additional $460/month added to the mortgage. In Phoenix your property taxes might be $1,500 per year, or $125/month. Big difference. In the south property taxes can be just as low if not lower. Perhaps this is why so many leave New Jersey and move to Florida when they retire (that and no state income tax!).

Note the difference in property tax rates across the country here (and note that New Jersey has among the highest rates, along with NY and other parts of New England, as well as Chicago): Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com!

Then look at differences in state income taxes: http://www.money-zine.com/financial-...ome-tax-rates/

Now realize you are living in one of the most highly taxed states.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
the 2-3 times income guidance typically thrown around was from the days of higher interest rates.
Yup, and dramatically lower home prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment