Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 4,301 times

Advertisements

I’m in my mid-40’s, I work as a software developer (for GIS and CAD). I have a very good job, with amazing benefits and I really like what I do. Having said that, I think I hit the top when it comes to salary. I don’t think I will get more money somewhere else (perhaps 5k more but that’s about it), my salary is already above the median for someone in my position.

A year ago, I submitted my application to become a registered land surveyor, it was accepted but in order to become one, I have to take different 13 tests (law, geodesy, lots of high math: differential equations, linear algebra, etc). This will take a lot of effort and self-discipline. I’m already short of time (I will get to that soon). So, my question to myself and to the forum would be, is this worth?. I’m in my 40’s, I already have a career and a good job, shouldn’t just enjoy life more (spend more time with the girlfriend, get drunk on Fridays with friends, play video games, play sports, watch Netflix, travel around, etc?).

I already mentioned the money factor (the signature of a registered surveyor has legal value, so $$$), but also I like the idea of having a job with more status. Right now, I’m just a monkey-code whose job can be shipped to India at any time. Software development requires lots of hard work, math and analytical skills, yet it’s not considered a high status profession like engineering or law. In addition, software development is known to be a field with strong age discrimination. Not that surveying is free of age discrimination but at least is not as prevalent as in software development. Therefore, having a career with more status would be the second reason I want to become a registered land surveyor.

As I mentioned above, I’m already short of time, I always stay one or a couple of hours after work because there is so much to do and so much to learn that I need those extra hours if I want to keep current and if I want to deliver a good product. On top of that, I like to pump iron at the gym. So, between my work, the girlfriend and the gym I’m left with pretty much no time for anything else.
I know that if I want to pass the tests I have to dedicate all my free time to study. So, no more gym, only weekends with the girlfriend and, what worries me most, I will need to work just the 8 hours. Again, the later worries me, as it surely will affect my performance at work (with unspeakable nasty consequences)

One part of me says "don’t waste your time with other careers pursuits. Instead, use that energy to become better at your job, that by the way, will bring more immediate rewards. Those tests you want to write may take years to complete, and there is no guarantee you will pass. This dumb idea of becoming land surveyor is just a huge waste of time. And last but not least you are already 40+, enough with the books!!!". The other part says "you like math, you like to learn new things, is never late to study and improve yourself. Think about it, with enough effort, you will pass, and you will be very proud of yourself at the end."

Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 06:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,542,463 times
I don't know about your field of work, or your finances or plans for retirement, etc. But, I can tell you a story about land surveying...

I was working for the forest service right out of high school for several years. At one point, I got on a survey crew. Surveying can be brutal. And I don't know if the equipment has changed since the late 1970's, but we were climbing up and down steep terrain a good part of the time, measuring angles, using plumb bobs and a theodolite, which was heavy and bulky, and a real bear to shove through heavy brush. We were surveying for logging roads in WA state.

Now, the inside work, drafting the road plans, figuring out cut and fill, was fun. But, even though you're into working out, if you are going to ever be doing any survey work up and down hills thick with brush, I'm telling you it's a severely physical job. I ended up hurt falling down a hill - in the rain. That's how I ended up inside drafting, though.

But, picture all types of weather and terrain and brush and bugs.... just brutal.

And starting that at 40 years old - I just see you ending up too old too fast to have any long-term career at it.

Now, if you get to do the inside work, that could be fun. But, you'll be at a desk all day. And are they hiring 40 year olds, and is there good long-term job security?

Maybe you were thinking of starting your own business doing surveying? If so, you'll be working a lot more hours as a business owner.

As far as you being capable of learning everything and passing the tests, I feel sure you are. You're obviously dedicated to your current job, which shows responsibility, etc., and you're obviously smart. So, could you pass the tests? I feel sure you could.

But, I don't see the payoff from this particular line of work being worth your loss of free time. FWIW.

You know who I thought had a smart line of work? Well-drillers. I don't know if you ever needed one, but you have to wait forever for them to get to you on their waiting list. The equipment is expensive, and there's probably schooling involved there, too. But, you'd always be in demand, and you can hire a crew to do any heavy physical work, when you couldn't do it anymore. And even people in cities can need well-drillers, depending on the city. You could also just decide to work during certain months or in certain areas, etc. Just a thought.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:52 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
Well, how badly do you want to drag 50 pounds of gear through the woods in August or January? Will you still want to drag it around in 15 years?

Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,620,189 times
No More Snow for Me and Tnff raise good points.

Why don't you look into become a housing inspector, instead? It will still get you out of an office and you can go into business for yourself. The schooling isn't as long or as tedious.

There is nothing wrong with having an alternative career, but you need one that you can do when you are older, as well as now.

If it takes off or you lose your coding job, you've got your Plan B.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
I honestly wouldn't do it at this point and would start socking away like no one's business to retire early.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:08 AM

23,571 posts, read 24,096,042 times
I think if you build on you software developer skills, you could even earn more $.
Good developers are always in demand and make top $.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 AM

255 posts, read 200,377 times
If you didn't have to work, what would you spend your time doing? What would make you happiest?

Perhaps focus on that?

Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,308,373 times
What are you going to gain? You like the idea of being a surveyor, but you may actually hate the job itself. If you like what you do, enjoy life and increase your retirement contribution if you can. At 40, there is a lot more to life than chasing dollar signs.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 4,301 times
Thank you for your input. I decided to give it a try. If down the road I succeed I will let you know here (in three or four years though)

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2017, 10:46 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,158,004 times
padding your resume in a different field does hold value offering added value. Surveying for a Government entity has the added value of a pension. Being in the field your are in now, and adding land surveyor to the mix, maybe you can eventually combine the services.

Free time is important, and having a girlfriend for the weekends is not good for a relationship. I can see cutting out the drinking with friends at the bar, and other not so important activities.

Is there schooling involved for the certifications, or is it a once weekly class for a few months? Do you hold transferable skills that can help you get certifications quicker? Will this be your second job?

I dont think Land Surveying involves all that work in urban settings, rural yes I can see it. But being outdoors, on your own independently does have its perks. I would also imagine this job will continue to be in demand as long as the economy is good. You can always freelance your other profession,or work online, can you?

As far as the gym, you can always eliminate the gym visit, and implement a new exercise routine. Kettle bell, chin up/dip bar, or pushup/ situps /squats right at home. you will maintain your shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment