Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 11,213 times

Advertisements

There was an opening at my firm due to someone suddenly quitting.

I applied and got it two months ago. I thought it was going to be position A, but it turns out they offered me position B which pays a bit more because of the work load and the importance. The girl they were training to do job B became too overwhelmed and begged to go back to Job A. I didn't notice red flag at the time.

That girl, who I adore, isn't a slacker at all and she has more experience in this department so it's not a good sign when she asks for her old position back. But I would have still accepted it since I need more money and Job A has been filled again.

When they promoted me, they told me I would undergo a probationary period to see how I would do. They had confidence in me that I would do well.

Before they started training me, I was doing part of Job A for a couple of weeks out of boredom and to help out the staff. I cruised through it so everyday I had to ask my my boss for more work and training to do rest of that position. I enjoyed it much more than my current position and see why my coworker wanted to go back; it's not EASY but it's easier than what I'm doing now. Management kept trying to keep her at Job B but she insisted it was too hard and they relented to giving her back her old position.

I don't find Job B extremely hard, but I've been drowning in work and weekly packets (of tasks that I'm not experienced in) keep getting dropped on my desk. There's a lot to learn, but when I tell my boss I'm overwhelmed she would say: "Relax, you're learning, just focus on learning it then worry about catching up. Everyone before felt the same way before you."

I don't think she realized how behind I am. The work is time sensitive, so I can't really relax. I pretty much have to learn fast. The person who quit suddenly left a mess for me and the other girl.

The girl who had to fall behind on her work to train me and the previous girl, was a bit stunned on how behind I am so I feel bad for her. She has been picking up my slack.

I didn't ask what would happen at the end of the probationary period if I don't do well since they said it would be "easy" which was misleading considering a more experienced person couldn't handle it. Then again, other people have managed to handle it decently before us though no one has lasted more than a year lately.

My coworkers tell me I probably wouldn't be fired, but I'm not so sure as my old position has already been filled. I've worked a variety jobs for a decade now and have never been fired or come close to it.

I'll probably start looking for a better job but what should I tell my boss in the meantime? Thanks.

Last edited by Kabuki90; 03-01-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Give it a few more months and see if you feel more comfortable. My first big career change it was a full 6 months before I felt I was actually "getting it" and no longer questioning my move.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,945,057 times
just keep doing your best - they are not expecting perfection from you. It's only been 2 months- so the job likely has a longer learning curve. In another 2 months you'll probably seem like an old pro. If your boss is telling you to relax a little, take a break! The world won't end if you need to take 30 to have lunch and recharge. What type of work is so "time sensitive" - i've worked in a lot of jobs where time was literally money, so i understand, just want to try and help if you can provide more context.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:49 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times
My job takes someone a full YEAR to be up to speed so a few months is really nothing. Keep plugging away and if it makes you feel better, set some time aside to have a sit down with your manager to let him/her know that you are doing your best but could maybe use some help to manage the workload until you're fully up to speed.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 11,213 times
Thank you everyone. One year to be up to speed? Must be an engineering job or something as difficult.

@Jribe: I have to complete tasks in a timely manner so I don't **** of the courts and those courts don't **** off the other people involved. It's kind of a domino effect.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:12 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
2 months? Nah, 6-12 then you may have something wrong there. But I have had jobs that took me 3-5 months to get a "Handle" on. afterward, it became easier...

Old 03-08-2017, 03:56 PM

46 posts, read 47,228 times
It takes time. I would say 6 to 12 months to get traction in such a way that it becomes natural and incorporated into your mental map.

If you're so behind that you're thinking about it outside of work, etc., i would say something or secure another position.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,773 times
If it's time sensitive, I recommend communication, communication, communication. Make a list of everything that is currently in the pipeline, the status, and the timing. Frequently communicate what you're working on, what you think you're going to get done that day/week/whatever, and new work that comes in. Email to your superior regularly and ask that they provide feedback on any changes to your workplan or what should be priority. Let your manager worry about the backlog and prioritizing, while you just focus on learning the position and doing the work. It sounds like you have the intelligence and capacity to do this job, so let someone else worry about the stress of the backlog and you focus on doing a great job.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
If it's time sensitive, I recommend communication, communication, communication. Make a list of everything that is currently in the pipeline, the status, and the timing. Frequently communicate what you're working on, what you think you're going to get done that day/week/whatever, and new work that comes in. Email to your superior regularly and ask that they provide feedback on any changes to your workplan or what should be priority. Let your manager worry about the backlog and prioritizing, while you just focus on learning the position and doing the work. It sounds like you have the intelligence and capacity to do this job, so let someone else worry about the stress of the backlog and you focus on doing a great job.

^^^^this. I am kind of amazed at people who just say give it time. I agree with that usually, but the OP clearly stated this is time sensitive material and the other woman trying to help her now was "stunned"(her words) at how far behind she was.

It's time for some CYA here.

If the OP keeps going the way she is, the boss will soon enough know when something major misses a deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment