Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't make the rules, but yeah, it is basically because you aren't going to find a retailer willing to pay much more than the minimum wage to a large part of their front line cashiers. Are you willing to pay higher prices at your grocer and your big box store over something like this?
Time and money invested in training vs asking a customer for an ID which most people carry with them shopping anyway... which do you think a company will opt for in this era of cutting cost to the bare bones?
And as for training, you can only work with what you are given, and at minimum wage sometimes you aren't given much. Thank goodness for broke college students looking for part time work.

Maybe it's just me but I see this thread as more about should a cashier take it upon themselves to go against whatever the company policy is. Arguing whether employees should or should not be empowered to make such decisions is a different topic IMO
I find the argument more about whether a customer (and all those in line behind him) should be inconvenienced because corporations elect to treat them and their employees as imbeciles. I already select those stores where I will do business and those I'll pass by based on location, cleanliness, product quality and customer service even if it might end up costing me two or three percent more when it's totaled up over the long run. My time has value. I'm not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
sounds like itd be a good idea to do so.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I simply don't understand why some people get outraged by this.

Is it THAT big of a deal to show your ID for a few seconds? My god...

{snip}
Amen to that. I've done such jobs, and it takes, what, 5 seconds to show your ID? Just show it and shut the "bleep" up already. I have had people say "I left it at home" or "I never take my wallet with me" and that is just ridiculous and pathetic, I even once told a customer who had become irate about it "I hear you, I find taking my ID everywhere and showing it to people {proceeds to remove wallet and display ID} takes SO long and is such a burden, why just last week I had to have a chiropractor adjust my back from all the weight my back endured from toting this heavy ID everywhere I went." Total sarcasm at its best.

It's not my fault that you have a stupid liquor/tobacco addiction and are too lazy to have your ID on you when it takes all of 5 seconds to display.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-16-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Amen to that. I've done such jobs, and it takes, what, 5 seconds to show your ID? Just show it and shut the "bleep" up already. I have had people say "I left it at home" or "I never take my wallet with me" and that is just ridiculous and pathetic, I even once told a customer who had become irate about it "I hear you, I find taking my ID everywhere and showing it to people {proceeds to remove wallet and display ID} takes SO long and is such a burden, why just last week I had to have a chiropractor adjust my back from all the weight my back endured from toting this heavy ID everywhere I went." Total sarcasm at its best.

It's not my fault that you have a stupid liquor/tobacco addiction and are too lazy to have your ID on you when it takes all of 5 seconds to display.
I'm surprised by this response, since most every other minor inconvenience seems to send you off into a tantrum.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I have my ID at the ready whenever I buy something where you must be a certain age. There's no point in putting up a fight as it's quick and not the decision of the person you are about to scream at. It's about protecting your business and I have no problem with this as I'd card every single person if I was an owner of such a place.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I'm surprised by this response, since most every other minor inconvenience seems to send you off into a tantrum.
Well said. I like that . . .

Old 02-17-2017, 09:16 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have my ID at the ready whenever I buy something where you must be a certain age. There's no point in putting up a fight as it's quick and not the decision of the person you are about to scream at. It's about protecting your business and I have no problem with this as I'd card every single person if I was an owner of such a place.
That we are under the thumb of someone standing over us with a whip is every reason to stand one's ground when faced with the ridiculous. What a bunch of fearful, robotic wimps we've become.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
That we are under the thumb of someone standing over us with a whip is every reason to stand one's ground when faced with the ridiculous. What a bunch of fearful, robotic wimps we've become.
Whips, robotic wimps? I simply show my ID, it takes 2 seconds.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:21 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Standing your ground with a cashier or low level mgt? Really??
What exactly do you think that accomplishes other than creating a scene and being a PITA. Wouldn't it make more sense to take your outrage and your protest to the people who can actually do something about it?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:03 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
WHAT inconvenience? IDs tend to be in your wallet, you're paying for items which requires cash or a bank card, and those tend to be--in your wallet. Your wallet is already open anyway, what are you protesting?

It's silly because it takes 3 flipping seconds at the most and because the person being yelled at has nothing to do with it, because leaving your wallet at home or in the vehicle is stupid (I mean, you're shopping, wallets tend to help with having your money and cards around for paying for things) and because going through all of this trouble over a stupid cigarette is stupid anyway. I've seen people who didn't have enough money to buy both the food and the cigarettes, they chose the cigarettes. It's no skin off of my nose, but that's just stupid.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-18-2017 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment