Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've seen this sort of thing with software developers/engineers.... good managers should be ensuring they have the correct amount of work. Too little, and they get bored, and could've been helping to get stuff done. Too much, and they'll burn out and/or miss deadlines. In the case of burnout, many of them will start looking for other work. The bigger issue with them isn't so much not being able to find work, but more so of being underpaid, but if they're burning out now, they won't mind taking a paycut if it means not having to constantly exceed 60 hour weeks and having enough time to go home, get stuff done, and take vacations when planned for.
Yes, my husband is a Mechanical Engineer. He gets paid well, but the traveling is rough. Since the accident he has really cut back, but sometimes I need to remind him of everything he and I have gone through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 03:27 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8 View Post
Would you admit you are burnt-out or even exhausted at work to your boss or co-workers?
In short, no. Why would you EVER reveal a weakness, or any other piece of non-business-related information, that will be used against you?

Old 02-12-2017, 03:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8 View Post
Would you admit you are burnt-out or even exhausted at work to your boss or co-workers?
It's like all anyone talks about sometimes.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM

67 posts, read 50,023 times
life has become so trivial with questions like this. everyone is burned out.5 days on,2 days off was designed to burn you out on purpose

Old 02-13-2017, 04:17 AM

572 posts, read 435,684 times
I twist it around; I point out all that I do. I do not talk about burn-out.

I talk about achievement.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
If you are truly burnt out, then yes you should say something.

Sometimes managers will continue to drop more and more responsibilities on you because you are succeeding. They don't know when you are at your capacity until you tell them. A good manager will understand that they need to limit the amount of work they give you if they want it done effectively. I recently had to do this with my manager, and ended up being promoted and some of my old work was pushed to another co-worker who wasn't as busy. By balancing my workload a bit, the burn out died down and I was able to more effectively do the work he assigned to me.

The main objective is to communicate. They need to know what you can handle and you need to be honest about it. Do your best and try to tackle whatever they give you but if it eventually degrades your level of performance then you need to do ensure they are aware of the issue.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:18 AM

379 posts, read 255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Depends on the job! My husband travels a lot for work. He was in China 16 days straight working 15 hour days. His boss and co-workers would also call him in the middle of the night back in the states to ask him questions giving him maybe 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. There's a 13 hour time difference. When he flew home he got 4 hours of sleep before going into the office. He was going to take off but since we were leaving for vacation in a few days he was denied time off to adjust to the time difference. The flight is 13 hours, plus the 13 hour time difference. He fell asleep at the wheel on the way home from work the next day due to exhaustion. He had multiple facial fractures (car totaled) and has since had 4 facial reconstructive surgeries. He is alive and doing good, but DAMN right he now tells his boss when he is exhausted and they WANT to know! He could have died in that car accident or killed someone. Thank God he didn't!!
What kind of work is he in?

Old 02-13-2017, 06:56 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
What kind of work is he in?
He's a Mechanical Engineer.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:37 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Only as I submit my request to take my two-weeks vacation and I'm telling my manager that I'll come back fully invigorated and ready to chew nails.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM

82 posts, read 81,759 times
No...absolutely not! Do not trust anyone...even your BFF at work. When the pressure from the boss is on them, they will use anything they know about you and everyone else to defend themselves. You learn a lot from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment