Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 PM

195 posts, read 161,544 times

Advertisements

So I was curious regarding an interesting article:

New GameStop Program Leads Employees To Lie To Customers

Basically, the company instituted a new program where the store employees are being asked to lie to customers so that the store can get more profit. Is something like this very common in retail business'? Is there any kind of organization that oversees business' for shady/unethical business practices, or are they allowed to pretty much do whatever they want for more profit even if it means employees are told to lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I think this kind of thing is pretty rare.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Wow, that's messed up.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
Oh absolutely. Retail is known for being pretty shady to not only their workers but customers as well. It's a cutthroat business.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:55 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Sales is mostly the art of deception. Ever shop for a used car?

Nobody calls you on the phone or knocks on your door to give you a good deal.

In many retail stores the sales people are required to pitch a credit card in order to keep their job.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,933,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
So I was curious regarding an interesting article:

New GameStop Program Leads Employees To Lie To Customers

Basically, the company instituted a new program where the store employees are being asked to lie to customers so that the store can get more profit. Is something like this very common in retail business'? Is there any kind of organization that oversees business' for shady/unethical business practices, or are they allowed to pretty much do whatever they want for more profit even if it means employees are told to lie?
Basically you are wrong, the employee in an effort to make their numbers are choosing to lie to the customer. The company is pushing up-sales, pre-orders, and cross-sales. This is a normal part of business all aspects of retail do this. The company is monitoring these employees to see who can sell in all these categories and getting rid of the rest as simply non-productive. Nowhere in the article did it say the company was asking it's employees to lie to customers, plus if corporate finds out that a store is not selling new games in a effort to meet quotas, those employees would be gone right quick and in a hurry. As for an organization to look over them, it's called the game manufacturer, if they find out that a company is not actively pushing and lying about the stock of a newly released game, Gamestop would find themselves on the end of a lawsuit very quickly, and severed business relationships.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Basically you are wrong, the employee in an effort to make their numbers are choosing to lie to the customer. The company is pushing up-sales, pre-orders, and cross-sales. This is a normal part of business all aspects of retail do this. The company is monitoring these employees to see who can sell in all these categories and getting rid of the rest as simply non-productive. Nowhere in the article did it say the company was asking it's employees to lie to customers, plus if corporate finds out that a store is not selling new games in a effort to meet quotas, those employees would be gone right quick and in a hurry. As for an organization to look over them, it's called the game manufacturer, if they find out that a company is not actively pushing and lying about the stock of a newly released game, Gamestop would find themselves on the end of a lawsuit very quickly, and severed business relationships.
Correct.

As usual, it's easy to judge quickly without an actual understanding of how business works.

This article is another example of employees coming up with a workaround when faced with a challenging sales goal.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:06 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
I had a part time job working for the GAP. I never lied to anyone.

The items sold themselves to all the wealthy little TCU kids.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:25 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Never good to deceive the customer. Some retail outfits have a reach the goal at any cost attitude. With bigger stores the volume of shoppers is large si they dont care.

I managed a retail outfit and made darn sure repeat customers were built and They walked away happy, with motivation to reach the goal that way.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
And this is why I don't go to Gamestop or similar. Amazon never tries to sell me a used game when I want to purchase it new. If it's not in stock I go elsewhere where it is in stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment